• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rubinacci visiting NYC (May 27-29)

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
If you also assume that everyone who visits with a tailor posts about it on a message board, your assumption above would be correct.
Dopey, when you're on, there's no one better.

I met with Lucca a couple days ago. I found it very interesting but didn't think anyone else would.
smile.gif

A couple observations. (1) Lucca's a solid guy - cool, easygoing, etc. I figure that if I had spent my whole life with a pretty sweet future in the bag that I'd be a dilweed but he apparently chose a very different path. He seemed a lot older even though we're actually the exact same age.

(2) He definitely prefers a style somewhat different from his father's and is concious of that fact. The one suggestion he made was less drape in the chest - though he didn't say it like that. Right then I knew that we didn't have too much to talk about. Add to that the fact that he likes some super fine Loro Piana cloths and I was already worried about the day when Mariano retires. Though he did get some points back by recommending I get a suit in a gray donegal.

I'm going to get suit from the light gray LL Brisa cloth whenever that finally comes in.

The jacket he was wearing looked really good but, again, was cleaner and hip-er than what I like.

As I've thought about it a bit in my forumgeekier moments, the cut that Lucca wears strikes me as being in between the heavily draped Rubinacci style and what I've seen of MaFoo's sportscoat.

The common elements seem to be: a generally very soft construction with a soft, extended shoulder (usually camica-ed) and a non-flared skirt.

From there, I've seen two variations: the cleaner though not too lean (Lucca, MaFoo, Uppercase) version which has a more natural shape in the chest and a more suppressed waist and then the drapier Mariano / Iammatt version (though SF Matt has a pretty trim waist on his stuff too).

I guess there's a third version - they accidentally sent me someone else's suit. Lucky for them, this dude has a much, much bigger waist even though we're about the same height - I so I sent it back but not before having a good look at the suit.

I was surprised by how structured the shoulder was but, from what I could gather about how the guy looks, I think that's probably a good call. There are few things that I think look worse than a big dude wearing a soft, extended shoulder.

This isn't a very good photo for what want to show but hopefully it will illustrate my point about there being a couple different version that differ mostly in the chest:

Lucca:
DecFullw.jpg

Chi-town Matt:
jacketfronts.jpg

The man himself:
rubinacciworkroom1.jpg

(I know there are much better photos for illustrating what I want - let me see if I can find one)

I like both since I think they do both as well as anyone does those two styles. I know which one I prefer to wear - mainly for practical reasons - but really appreciate both.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
. . . Lucca's a solid guy - cool, easygoing, etc. I figure that if I had spent my whole life with a pretty sweet future in the bag that I'd be a dilweed but he apparently chose a very different path. . .

I miss this word. I am going to try to use it tomorrow.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C., I had exactly the same impression of Luca. While his preferences clearly diverge from his father's, he is no less affable or detail-oriented. I'm sure his taste will continue to evolve and change; by the time he takes over from Mariano, I bet we'll be left in good hands.

Interesting thoughts on how all of our things fit differently. But I'm beginning to see more and more overlapping qualities and wonder if there are any easily definable categories. Who was your specific tailor? Although Iammatt's cut looks different from mine, I believe we were both assigned the same one. This leads me to believe that they adapt to each client's body on a case-by-case basis rather than apply a particular style. One of us should ask Mariano or Luca one of these days and find out.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
C., This leads me to believe that they adapt to each client's body on a case-by-case basis rather than apply a particular style.

That is the point with custom clothing.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Touche. While I was honestly trying to contribute to the forum, I agree that it probably hasn't been very productive. I'll think twice before giving it another go.

But don't worry about my feelings. There isn't a day that goes by without someone in real life or on the internet making a comment about my height.

Well, i hope you post a pic because I like to see what it looks like.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
. . . I figure that if I had spent my whole life with a pretty sweet future in the bag that I'd be a dilweed but he apparently chose a very different path. . .

I miss this word. I am going to try to use it tomorrow.

I tried. I really did. But I just couldn't find a good occasion.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried. I really did. But I just couldn't find a good occasion.

But you speak to clients tomorrow, no?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iammatt is strangely silent on this thread.
confused.gif
I hope he's well.

kcc

Reaction score
I can't wait to see Mafoofan's new garments

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
I can't wait to see Mafoofan's new garments

Mine get delievered tomorrow.
bounce2.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Mine get delievered tomorrow.
bounce2.gif

Really? You had all your fittings already? Pretty quick service from MR...

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Really? You had all your fittings already? Pretty quick service from MR...

Well my order was placed over the New Year's holiday...two fittings (one in NYC and another in London).

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nvm...just recieved mine a half hour ago....my God are they sweet!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Nvm...just recieved mine a half hour ago....my God are they sweet!

yup i cant wait to see picture's too!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads