• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caruso suits, SUPER slim?

unaware

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Caruso suit on ebay in US 38R. I noticed that the measurement shows the shoulders as 17.3 inches seam to seam. My first thought was "ok, maybe I need to go a size up." Howerver, 40R shows shoulders as 17.7 inches, which is not even a half inch wider than the previous size. To add to my confusion, the pants of the 38R suits shows a waist of 35 inches. Are all Caruso suits cut like this? Or is the seller just completely off on the measurements? This is the auction that I'm looking at.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
In my experience they are a bit on the slim side but our local vendor can accomodate others sizes they claim.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measurements are not everything and can sometimes be misleading. The shoulder measurement of a suit with soft, unpadded shoulders will naturally be less than a padded shoulder for the same fit. That's because the shape and padding of a squarer shoulder adds some mm.

So I wouldn't draw definitive conclusions from a simple measurement, not to mention that everyone takes measurements differently and they're often not reliable anyway

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This might be off topic but it states the trouser waist are 34, is this normal? It seems real huge for a size 38 jacket, no?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am currently wearing a Caruso suit, and it is slim, but not in a manner that makes it un wearable. I own 4 caruso pieces, all fit this way.
They are completely unpadded or very unpadded shoulders, so the measurements are not really as challenging as you might think.
This is the way they are made to fit.
I would get it and ask about a return policy.
Once you recieve it, put it on and take some pics, post here immediately and let the forum tell you if it fits right, or can be made to fit right easily.
I had mine tailored by Despos, so it fits like a dream.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thats what i was thinking also, its probably been altered.

Just because the tags are still attached doesnt mean it hasnt already been altered for someone, who may have changed their mind and decided not to buy it.

I find measurements taken by sellers to be a guide to how the suit will fit, with the expectation of course that the more experienced sellers will be more accurate, and that it may be possible that the suit will need to be altered.

My local tailor is nothing short of amazing, so i'm personally not shy on buying something that might be a bit off, but can be changed.

If you have a tailor you are very confident in, ask them what they can change, and how much it will cost you, i think you'll find you have many more options in that case.

unaware

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'd be more willing to experiment if the seller offers something other than store credit for returns. I guess I'll just have to keep looking, preferably from somewhere that I can pick up in person.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post cause now I get to follow this auction
smile.gif
... although it is an interesting pin and the fact that it has a 34 inch pant makes no sense to me...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one Caruso suit - a suit made by Caruso for Adriano & Sons. I obtained it new with tags, and entirely unaltered (no buttonholes cut, basting stitches still in jacket and trousers etc etc).

The jacket is reasonably slim-cut - not as slim as some but certainly not boxy or baggy. The trousers, however, I would describe as being quite slim cut compared to my Corneliani and Zegna suits in the same size, particularly through the thighs. Not so much that they are uncomfortable, but they are certainly more slim and tapered than other Italian brands I've worn.

laphroaig

Reaction score
You've almost made my day with your post. I measure 38 across the chest and so far I've found I need 36L or smaller and even then the shoulders are too wide and trousers get too narrow, so it sounded great; but chest in the 38 is still 41 inches. Shoulders are good though, that's so hard to find! Maybe a 36L might be just the ticket for me.. but no, it has very similar sizing across the chest. At least with decent shoulder sizing with Caruso I now have something to keep an eye on. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NWT-2485-RAFFAELE-CARUSO-SUIT-GRAY-PINS-36-46-R7-summer_W0QQitemZ160246603163QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3001QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Seriously, thank you. The only other suits mentioned on this forum (at least the for sale section) with shoulders that narrow were some corduroy suits sold here last year.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say that are slim but not overly so...I've found they cut there jackets short which is helpful for me as finding 38S these days is downright impossible.

unaware

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Thanks for the post cause now I get to follow this auction
smile.gif
... although it is an interesting pin and the fact that it has a 34 inch pant makes no sense to me...

NP! I'll admit I'd usually not share ebay auctions that I'm watching for obvious (and unrealistic) reason. But I haven't made up my mind about the suit precisely because of the pin stripe and the sizing.

At the top of the page, it states pants are 34. But in the description, the seller states the waist to be 35
wow.gif
Either way, it seems unusually large for a 38R.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, the jackets are not as slim as their pants.
I find their jackets to be longer actually, and I like that in a suit.
The Caruso for A&S I find to be of even higher finish than the regular Caruso stuff, which is high to begin with.
Caruso is my personal fav.
The best thing about their highest end line and the A&S line is the way the notch in the lapel sits on the shoulder, it is a little higher and pitched in a more elegant fashion than any other jacket I own.

unaware

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
but chest in the 38 is still 41 inches. Shoulders are good though, that's so hard to find!

I read that the chest of the jacket is should about 4 inches wider than your actual chest measurement so it won't look like you're wearing spendex. So 3 inches (41-38) would probably be good if you want the fitted look. Of course, I'm just a noob when it comes to anything clothing related, so I could be completely wrong on this. My chest actually measures slightly under 38 with fairly small shoulders, so I know what you mean about finding things that fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads