• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Shoe Care Kit?

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can purchase a good shoe care kit? This includes a cleaner, conditioner, polish, and protectant.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Build it yourself! Buy "Crema alpina" - great conditioner, a pot of Saphir black and one of neutral cream, plus one Saphir wax polish in both (Medaille d'or is the best). Add two brushes - one for black one for brown, one old Tshirt. Read how to polish your shoes over the net, practice and take care of the shoes.
Simple indeed!
smile.gif

BBRex

Reaction score
koolhistorian, where's a good place to find those at?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Crema Alpina im buying from Bata, they sell it with their brand... In the US, I don't know, try Bata or net... There are alternatives - meltonian i think.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are complete kits with box from Allen Edmonds or shoeshinekit.com.

If you don't care for the box that much, I suggest building your own kit. Some of the components I suggest will be in the box, but you can buy these all individually. For leather conditioner, Lexol works fine. I think you should have three basic waxes (i don't prefer creams, as they leave shoes with a matte finish rather than a nice shine): brown, black and cordovan/burgandy (any additional colors will depend on what shade of brown you have). three horse hair brushes dedicated for each general color for loosening up dirt on the shoe before applying wax, and brushing off the wax after its application (but before buffing).

I personally don't like the horse hair brush wax applicator, so not necessary to spring for those. I think using an old t-shirt works much nicer to apply the wax.

Soft flannel cloths to buff a nice shine.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Is Saphir black a type of conditioner? I'm browsing francos.com for shoe accessories and the different Saphir products are bewildering.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, but it seems to me that most people recommend Saphir as the brand of polish to go with, whereas shoeshinekit.com sells Lincoln stain wax. Should that be of concern?

Persiflage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Soft flannel cloths to buff a nice shine.

I'm interested in hearing recommendations for convenient sources for purchasing flannel cloths for buffing. I bought the shoeshinekit.com kit (without the box) a couple weeks back, and have been practicing on my shoes since then. However, the polishing cloths soon got covered in wax, and I couldn't figure out a good way to clean them. I've since been using cotton (like you, cut up old t0shirts), but it doesn't work as well. Do you have any recommended sources for cheap bulk flannel cloth? Or is there some way to clean out used polishing cloths?
plain.gif

I went with the Kiwi wax, and it seems to work fairly well. I think I'll go with Saphir off Francos for my next purchase, to see if it's any better. I like polishing my shoes. It's very meditative.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it is personal preference.

I tend to prefer Kiwi Paste Polish over all else.

Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
Thanks for the link, but it seems to me that most people recommend Saphir as the brand of polish to go with, whereas shoeshinekit.com sells Lincoln stain wax. Should that be of concern?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
Thanks for the advice. Is Saphir black a type of conditioner? I'm browsing francos.com for shoe accessories and the different Saphir products are bewildering.

Here are all information concerning Saphir:

http://www.avel.com/

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are several brands that are all comparable. People say Saphir is better. I've never used it, maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I bet most people can't tell the difference and I don't think you can say with any certainty Saphir is better for your shoes.

Lincoln, Kiwi, Angeles, Kelley, Meltonian and Saphir are all good brands. Any of these brands will work well.

In terms of buffing cloths, you really don't want to clean them. They actually get better with age and use. They get softer and the residual wax on the cloth helps with each subsequent buffing. Of course you want to turn the cloth to unused portions, but overall, I don't change them.

sanrensho

Reaction score
Here's a kit I imported about 8 years ago from France. It came with all Saphir products, and my intent was to wholesale the kits. Unfortunately the retail price would have to have been too high to make it worthwhile...well over $100 USD and I don't think there's much of a market for a kit this expensive. Now I just use it myself..as you can see there are two pots of Alden wax on top, along with black edge dressing. The Saphir wax goes on very smooth..it's almost like a cream and has a strong petroleum-based scent. Alden wax is "waxier" - more like Kiwi. Personally I prefer Alden and Kiwi to Saphir as they seem to result in a higher shine.
IMG_2072-vi.jpg
IMG_2075-vi.jpg
IMG_2077-vi.jpg
IMG_2078-vi.jpg

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sanrensho
Here's a kit I imported about 8 years ago from France. It came with all Saphir products, and my intent was to wholesale the kits. Unfortunately the retail price would have to have been too high to make it worthwhile...well over $100 USD and I don't think there's much of a market for a kit this expensive. Now I just use it myself..as you can see there are two pots of Alden wax on top, along with black edge dressing.

The Saphir wax goes on very smooth..it's almost like a cream and has a strong petroleum-based scent. Alden wax is "waxier" - more like Kiwi. Personally I prefer Alden and Kiwi to Saphir as they seem to result in a higher shine.
IMG_2072-vi.jpg

IMG_2075-vi.jpg

IMG_2077-vi.jpg

IMG_2078-vi.jpg

Where do we find that? That's the nicest shoe shine kit I've seen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads