• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seeing these aldens make me really want to get a pair. i am trying to decide between these from Alden of Carmel or these from LeatherSoul, both in black. any opinions?? xchen, just curious what size are your indys?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
i am trying to decide between these from Alden of Carmel or these from LeatherSoul, both in black. any opinions??
One is in shell cordovan and has double leather soles and the other is in a soft calf leather with a single flex welt sole. I like both, so I'd make it easy on myself and get both.

Tom also has some nice black chukka's in a single leather regular sole without the reverse storm welt that are a bit dressier, and Adam and J. Gilbert have black ones in the plaza last with commando soles with are a bit more casual.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm normally a 10.5D and I ended up getting a 10D. My White's came today (pics tomorrow) and they are a 10D and feel much better on my feet than my Indy's.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
One is in shell cordovan and has double leather soles and the other is in a soft calf leather with a single flex welt sole. I like both, so I'd make it easy on myself and get both.

Tom also has some nice black chukka's in a single leather regular sole without the reverse storm welt that are a bit dressier, and Adam and J. Gilbert have black ones in the plaza last with commando soles with are a bit more casual.

i know i am getting off the thread's original topic, but if you had to pick one and ONLY one (the wallet says so), would you opt for the shell cordovan? i have about zero experience in this, so what is the real difference, if any, in a double leather sole vs. a single leather? Durability? flexibility? longevity? both are nice, i am just sort of wanting to know if the shell is worth the premium in the long run. i am assuming it is, but me = amateur.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
i know i am getting off the thread's original topic, but if you had to pick one and ONLY one (the wallet says so), would you opt for the shell cordovan? i have about zero experience in this, so what is the real difference, if any, in a double leather sole vs. a single leather? Durability? flexibility? longevity? both are nice, i am just sort of wanting to know if the shell is worth the premium in the long run. i am assuming it is, but me = amateur.
Shell is nice and all, but I don't think it's versatile with all outfits and denim. If I only could get one pair, it would be the calf skin version on the flex welt. The flex welt is also an interesting sole that's been tanned and soaked in special oils for a while - this helps make it very long lasting, and to a point, more water resistant than regular leather soles.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opening Ceremony
_DSC0383_full.jpg

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stazy, I've been liking those shirts for the last 2 or 3 months but I haven't bought one yet.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Stazy, I've been liking those shirts for the last 2 or 3 months but I haven't bought one yet.

If you do buy one, I would size up.

Tobi has them for about $200 which is pretty good because I paid over $250 for mine
plain.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Shell is nice and all, but I don't think it's versatile with all outfits and denim. If I only could get one pair, it would be the calf skin version on the flex welt.

+1 imo I think shell is a bit overrated. I have 2 pairs of shells and while they're both great shoes, I could have gotten either in calf, paid less, and been just as happy. I don't really see any place where the $100+ surcharge for shell makes it worth it. and being an obsessive shoe polisher, I'm always wanting to polish my shells but know better not to.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Stazy- How is the quality and fit on the OC shirts? I know OC isn't known for quality and the way they and Oak are charging a bunch (too much IMO) for their house brand is kind of annoying. But the sizing on some OC/Oak stuff is pretty nice, so you and i are around the same size i think. Did you get a medium? Speaking of Tobi- How ****** for the pricetag is Loden Dager stuff? I kinda like that grey blazer and if it made it to sales on Tobi i was thinking of picking it up. I like the high button stance, short length, and light weight. I'm just worried it wouldn't be worth it even at sales.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
$200-$250 for Opening Ceremony shirts?
I thought those were like $150. Damn that's steep.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Seriously. That's more expensive than the nicer brands that they sell instore. You figured they should make it corpus/bson type prices. Those are more expensive than NDG or the various swedish labels that all look same. ******* annoying when i wanna buy something of their's. The only OC item i own are the shoes and those aren't worth retail quality/construction wise. Seems like h&m/uniqlo type quality but better cut/styled

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Stazy- How is the quality and fit on the OC shirts? I know OC isn't known for quality and the way they and Oak are charging a bunch (too much IMO) for their house brand is kind of annoying. But the sizing on some OC/Oak stuff is pretty nice, so you and i are around the same size i think. Did you get a medium? Speaking of Tobi- How ****** for the pricetag is Loden Dager stuff? I kinda like that grey blazer and if it made it to sales on Tobi i was thinking of picking it up. I like the high button stance, short length, and light weight. I'm just worried it wouldn't be worth it even at sales.
Quality is pretty good but not really worth what they are charging. The shirt is designed to be tucked-in as it is quite long. However, I don't think it looks very good tucked in because it isn't slim enough to prevent the billowing effect that sometimes results from tucking. I am getting mine shortend right now so I can wear it untucked. I really like the details on the sleeve so I decided is was worth the effort to get it altered. And yes, I bought a size medium. I'm 5'10 and 155. I haven't looked at any of the Loden Dager suff. I'm going to go check it out...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went out to go pickup some booze for the evening, and instead ended up with another pair of shoes.
plain.gif

Alden wingtips on the plaza last, flex welt

alden_wingtips_flex_welt.jpg

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for making some of us here feel inferior with our disposable income. i'll go pick up my 30 pack of natty light now.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads