• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Shoe?

micbain

Reaction score
Okay - I received a significant nordstrom store credit from a family member so I thought I'd splurg on a pair of shoes. I'm starting my shoe collection from scratch so I'd like a pair of versitile shoes.

Here is what I've narrowed down to (all in brown option)

#1 - Santoni Darren
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2891978/...bo=6005343&P=2

#2 - Santoni Bristol
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2874699/...bo=6005343&P=2

#3 - Santoni Halbert
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2942089/...bo=6005343&P=2

#4 - Santoni Jensen
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2969638/...bo=6005343&P=2

Which one and why? I'm a total newb so any thoughts on style and construction would be appreciated!

Thanks,

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Jensen.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of variables that are entirely dependant upon your lifestyle. For example, I'd steer clear of the Jensen due to the rubber sole, and the Bristol due to the high waist.

However those may make sense to you if you stand for long periods of time in your job.

What about the color? The rust in the Bristol is lovely, but hardly where you'd want to start your collection. Brown may be considered the most versitle, but you may prefer black.

Overall, were I to make a choice as a first or second "quality" shoe around $500 in the models you've selected; I'd go with the Darren as its a middle brown tone, classic styling which will work with most colors and outfits, and is reasonably well constructed.

Good luck!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the store credit is really significant, I don't think I'd get any of them. You say you're starting your shoe collection and, unless you can afford to add more shoes quickly, you're going to stress any of those Santonis by having to wear them exclusively. You might want to think about a couple pair of Allen Edmonds (also available at Nordstroms) so that you can rotate them. They'll last longer and you can move on to some more expensive shoes as you are able to add to your collection.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they sell Alden's at Nordstroms? Might be worth looking at those, too...

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe

I don't believe they do.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Unless the store credit is really significant, I don't think I'd get any of them. You say you're starting your shoe collection and, unless you can afford to add more shoes quickly, you're going to stress any of those Santonis by having to wear them exclusively. You might want to think about a couple pair of Allen Edmonds (also available at Nordstroms) so that you can rotate them. They'll last longer and you can move on to some more expensive shoes as you are able to add to your collection.
I agree.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin

+1.

if you have a nordy's near you, chances are you probably also have a nordy rack somewhere as well. there you'll be able to find plenty of AE's for 1/3 of the price you'll pay at retail.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#1 - Santoni Darren
I owned the Darren for 1 day & was not impressed at all, even at the hight of diorshoe's "Santoni kick"

#2 - Santoni Bristol
Since my name is Bristol, this one gets points, but still, not too impressed overall.

#3 - Santoni Halbert
Can't say I don't like the Halbert:

_5419432.jpg

#4 - Santoni Jensen
Not a fan of brown shoes with black sole edging.

May I suggest you look at other brands on that site? I saw that, for instance, the AE Soho was a few hundred cheaper. Even though some of the shoes (AEs) look horrible in those pics, try another site like zappos to get a 360 view of the shoe.

micbain

Reaction score
Also - I'm not too worried about stressing the shoes - I'm off from work for an extended period of time.

As far as the allen edmonds, I figure I could score a pair cheaper on ebay. New santoni's are harder to find...

Out of pocket cost on a pair from above would be roughly $250...

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe

They used to, but I don't know if they do anymore. Alden was my first thought, too.

pledge

Reaction score
I've always liked the look of the Darren in black. It seems classic w/ just a bit of flair, although i'm sure other forum members will (and have) told you that the price to quality ratio isn't that great, especially on lower/mid-level Santonis.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I'm a total newb so any thoughts on style and construction would be appreciated!

Thanks,

From what I understand, there are quite a few Santoni's that are blake-stitched, rather than goodyear-welted, which means that they may not hold-up as well in the long-term. Aren't the AE's goodyear-welted? I don't own any myself, but that is what I thought... I have a few pairs of blake-stitched shoes (Ballys, etc.) which I quite like, but I certainly didn't pay as much as the Santoni's are going for... I don't think this should necessarily be a deal breaker, per se, but for ~US$550 I'd much rather get a goodyear-welted shoe. I'm just not sure if the Santoni's are value for money...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads