• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gas prices, trains and real estate

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a house currently on the market in Poughkeesie, NY. Poughkeepsie is the last station on the Metro North. The train station is about 12 mins from my house. Pok is about 65 miles from NYC.

Does this train of thought sound logical?
As gas price goes up, more people would want to take train. (NYT had an article and also parking lots at the train stations are overflowing these days). As my house is not too far from a train station, it will hold/increase in value more than similar house (with similar school districts) that are farther from train stations. The distance from the train or tube station used to be a factor in London suburbs but there, it was walking distance. Here it is driving.

Much thanks

Laffertron

Reaction score
As someone who has never owned a car, being close to public transport is a minimum requirement which I'm sure plenty of other people consider. I'm not sure if you'll get a noticeable advantage in the sale of your house, but I do know that in certain parts of America where new developments have been put up on the outskirts of cities(Phoenix, LV, etc), some people can no longer afford to drive for an hour each way to go to work.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you house is close to a train station, and where a significant number of people take the train to work, your house has a higher value--with all else being equal. This is true regardless of how expensive gas prices are, but even more so when gas prices are on the rise.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your house is 12 minutes by car from a train station that's 65 miles from NYC.

That sounds like a hell of a commute.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarthewild
Hello,

Much thanks

Yes, it certainly sounds logical.

How it works in practice we shall see.

I hope you get a good price as a seller.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having done that commute from New Hamburg (the 2nd to last stop on that train line) for 2 years or so I would agree with the comment that thats a hell of a commute. Going in in the morning wassn't bad but I found the comute home hellish.

I think the bigger question is, is your house in the Town of Poughkeepsie or the city of Poughkeepsie School district? I think this will have more of an impact on your house value.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rimshot.gif
Originally Posted by Laffertron
As someone who has never owned a car, being close to public transport is a minimum requirement which I'm sure plenty of other people consider.
Where do you live? I enjoy not needing a car here, but I think for many Americans going without a car is unimaginable, even with the current gas prices.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny
Having done that commute from New Hamburg (the 2nd to last stop on that train line) for 2 years or so I would agree with the comment that thats a hell of a commute. Going in in the morning wassn't bad but I found the comute home hellish.

I think the bigger question is, is your house in the Town of Poughkeepsie or the city of Poughkeepsie School district? I think this will have more of an impact on your house value.

Town of Pok, Arlington school dist. Arthur s May elementary. If you know the red oak mills area, it is by the soccer fields between red oak mills and vassar.

Laffertron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Where do you live? I enjoy not needing a car here, but I think for many Americans going without a car is unimaginable, even with the current gas prices.

I live in Brisbane, Australia in a suburb called Fortitude Valley - it's adjacent to the conservative business dress so I'm a 10 minute bus ride to work.

If you don't live in a city big enough to have convenient public transport a car is pretty much your only option - especially if you fall into the trap of moving into one of those fancy new tract homes built on bulldozed farmland on the edge of town.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Town of Pok, Arlington school dist. Arthur s May elementary. If you know the red oak mills area, it is by the soccer fields between red oak mills and vassar.

I know the area you are referring to. It's been almost 15 years since I spent any time up there but I used to play basketball in Red Oaks Mill.

I think you have a better chance of your house holding it's value in that area. The school district is good and if I remember correctly housing prices never increased like crazy as they did in Westchester and Long Island.

There are lots of people who make that commute daily but 1:30 to 1:45 on the train in each direction was a little too much for me.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
As someone who has never owned a car, being close to public transport is a minimum requirement which I'm sure plenty of other people consider. I'm not sure if you'll get a noticeable advantage in the sale of your house, but I do know that in certain parts of America where new developments have been put up on the outskirts of cities(Phoenix, LV, etc), some people can no longer afford to drive for an hour each way to go to work.

I agree. I have not owned a car since high school, which was quite some time ago. I've always walked to work. Think of all the money you save by not having to pay for a car note, insurance and parking ...

When I need a car I rent one. We also have CarShare and Zipcar here in Philly. I prefer renting because they don't charge you by the mile or hour.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a place on 3 major bus lines and 1 El line. Being close to transportation was a significant factor.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Distance to public transportation was a major factor in purchasing where I did. There are a lot of "developing" neighborhoods in NYC that are poorly served by the subway with only one local line. Our place is right between two express lines and three local lines, which should help if the housing market turns much worse.

I think if you are that far from the city, you need to be close to the rails.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics