• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barack Obama on "nice suits"

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Obama apparently either shops at Brooks Brothers or Barneys according to this thread from Ask Andy.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=79846

Either way his look is very neat and classic to my eye.

I saw him on T.V the other day and couldn't help think of how well put together he looks. He still dresses like a politician, (i.e conservative business dress) but does it cleanly, Without any sloppyness. Of course, some days are better than others.

taion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
\\P.S. Obama wasn't actually making very much money before his books started selling well after the 2004 speech. And working as a community organizer after attending Columbia and earning a Harvard Law degree makes him an excellent example of what he recommended for the graduates.
He's actually personally the least well-off of any of the major candidates for nomination. His book royalties were at least an order of magnitude less than the Clintons' speaking fees, he's not married to a billionaire like McCain, and he never had the connections to PE that Romney or Edwards did, to say nothing of Giuliani's consulting cash cow.

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taion
He's actually personally the least well-off of any of the major candidates for nomination. His book royalties were at least an order of magnitude less than the Clintons' speaking fees, he's not married to a billionaire like McCain, and he never had the connections to PE that Romney or Edwards did, to say nothing of Giuliani's consulting cash cow.
His lifestyle seems, although very comfortable, much more normal than any of the other candidates. I am sure that part of that is that he has younger children. he sure can't just borrow his wifes private jet when he needs to go somewhere, and his campaign is a little low on funds (McCain).

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He most certainly is trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

You can still have nice things as long as you have fewer of them. It is better to have a couple nice things than lots of crap form Wal-Mart.

Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us? We need to stop importing poor people, quit outsourcing and have a self-sustainable country. This will level people out... but oh wait.... the super rich CEOs and politicians don't want this.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I saw him on T.V the other day and couldn't help think of how well put together he looks. He still dresses like a politician, (i.e conservative business dress) but does it cleanly, Without any sloppyness. Of course, some days are better than others.

I think the main difference is that he is not overweight, and somewhat tall. Wasn't he the tallest and thinnest of the major candidates? Im trying to think of them all, Edwards, Romney, Mccain, and that one guy who lost 100 lbs.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learn how to use a ******* coma.
I'm sure you mean 'comma' but coma seems much more appropriate.

khaki sack

Reaction score
The bottom line of my ,signature says it all.
plain.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
FYI - Obama didn't just talk about suits in his remarks to the graduates...
"It's because you have an obligation to yourself, because our individual salvation depends on our collective salvation," Mr. Obama said. "Because it's only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential and discover the role you'll play in writing the next great chapter in America's story."

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
This whole post is bullshit.
1. It has nothing to do with middle/low class, he is saying to help others instead of chasing after money. Is that so hard to understand? There is no talk of evil riches.

2. His house/wealth is irrelevant. irrelevant. He could be a drug dealer selling coke to other senators while ******* lara bush on the side. If a republican then is found sniffing coke with a hooker, and Obama says it's a horrible thing, he would still be right. It would make him a hypocrite, but he is still right. The person making the comment does not reflect the validity of a statement. In this case, Obama has to have a senator's salary to make a change in the world, so I see no problem.

3. The college part is silly. This isn't the 60/70's. Apperently, you haven't heard of business school.

That's a very ignorant and racist statement. You are truly a pretentious idiot. Learn how to use a ******* coma.

blackplantano, i'm not sure, are you an obama supporter? you haven't made it clear
rolleyes.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3. The college part is silly. This isn't the 60/70's. Apperently, you haven't heard of business school.

Bad news for you. College kids are probably the most ignorant, closed minded group of people I have ever met. I say this devoid of anything else mentioned in the thread.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Bad news for you. College kids are probably the most ignorant, closed minded group of people I have ever met. I say this devoid of anything else mentioned in the thread.

Especially these days where college is the new high school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads