• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you meet people in a strange city?

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I'm working for three months in Toronto. My co-workers who are my age have girlfriends, and considering we work together 12 hours a day, don't want to hang out too much more with people from work.

I know a grand total of two other people in the city -- a third cousin and a friend of a friend who I've never met (yet am being set up to meet). However, I won't be seeing them for at least another week.

So the question is: How do I meet people in a strange new city? Bars? Clubs? Then I'm just some weird drunk loner.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I was in Toronto I walked by the university and would stop chicks on the street and ask for directions. Then I'd ask them to walk with me a little ways to make sure I don't get lost. Then, if you are interesting, they'll keep following you.

In any strange city, asking for directions is always easy and understandable.

Spilotro

Reaction score
Go do something you enjoy (pool, golf, shooting, anything), and you will bump shoulders with people to have fun with.

I'd avoid jumping right into the bars and clubs. Not only is it best to have a group with you, but I've never made any worthwhile friendships in those places.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
Go do something you enjoy (pool, golf, shooting, anything), and you will bump shoulders with people to have fun with. I'd avoid jumping right into the bars and clubs. Not only is it best to have a group with you, but I've never made any worthwhile friendships in those places.
+1 I think meeting people through common interests or hobbies is a good way to go. May be there are some Style Forum members in Toronto, willing to show you the town???
smile.gif
(or, at least, the best places to shop!)

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
+1 I think meeting people through common interests or hobbies is a good way to go. May be there are some Style Forum members in Toronto, willing to show you the town???
smile.gif
(or, at least, the best places to shop!)

+1 Join some groups or teams and try Craigslist too. You could also take a class or audit one at a local school.

bob_gnarly

Reaction score
look on craigslist for friends lol, i believe i have seen a section for meeting ppl

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TransparentCranium
Superfuture. lulz

haha....not sure if this is a method i would like to try

but seriously, this is easier for me usually when i'm in a city where i don't speak the language...i will usually just go to some bar/club that looks interesting, but keep in mind that the purpose is just to have a good time and not have any expectations. usually you will get a good surprise that way and at the very worst you got to take in some of the local vibes and got one more story to tell.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob_gnarly
look on craigslist for friends lol, i believe i have seen a section for meeting ppl

Casual Encounters
devil.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go to a decent restaurant at lunchtime and eat at the bar. there are also solo-diners there and its the easiest place to start up inane conversation.

Laffertron

Reaction score
How long is your commute? I've never had to travel far on the train but co-workers who do tell me they usually sit next to someone and start up a conversation to pass the time. Another solution is to go to a few different toastmasters clubs - BAM! 20 instant friends.

I met a bloke on the train when I was in Sydney a couple of weeks ago on my way to the airport. I was reading Men's Ex and he was sitting next to me and asked me whether I spoke Japanese (I don't, I just look at the pictures) I tried to politely brush him off at first but we kept talking, turns out we're both married to Japanese women and he goes over to Japan at least once a year and hits up all the restaurants.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads