• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imstr8trippin
it's deep enough to take off part of the top layer and expose the oak coloured leather underneath.

this happened to my black cherry's as well, after just a few times. I really don't mind the scuffing though but I can see how one can find it annoying. This happened from regular wear.

on the other hand, I'm not using them over the summer - should I still condition them from time to time? I don't own any other shoes/boots that I need to "take care" of so I have no experience with this. Up to this point I've only applied mink oil 2 or 3 times over 4 months of wear. too much? too little?

obsessis

Reaction score
I don't think you need to apply conditioner 3 times over 4 months, i guess it depends how good the conditioner is / how the leather feels. you should be able to tell by touch and sight that the leather needs to be moisturized.

I'm planning on ordering a pair of GT's and would like your guys' suggestions with sizing.

I have a pair of the 875's that I love, 10.5 E. I could fit into the regular width, D, and stretch it out a bit to make it fit. My toes have plenty of room, aren't scrunched up in the toebox.

Everyone says to size down since they are long but I want to make sure the width would still be OK if I ordered a 10.

Anyone who has both boots care to comment?
obsessis is online now Report Post \tEdit/Delete Message

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obsessis
I don't think you need to apply conditioner 3 times over 4 months, i guess it depends how good the conditioner is / how the leather feels. you should be able to tell by touch and sight that the leather needs to be moisturized.

I'm planning on ordering a pair of GT's and would like your guys' suggestions with sizing.

I have a pair of the 875's that I love, 10.5 E. I could fit into the regular width, D, and stretch it out a bit to make it fit. My toes have plenty of room, aren't scrunched up in the toebox.

Everyone says to size down since they are long but I want to make sure the width would still be OK if I ordered a 10.

Anyone who has both boots care to comment?
obsessis is online now Report Post \tEdit/Delete Message

I don't know if you have clarks desert boots but I wear the same size GTs as desert boots.

headtowall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
^
Thanks headtowall thats good to hear, I'm probably going to order a pair sooner than later.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

I hiked in these last week. Time for maintenance maybe?

DSCN1919.jpg

DSCN1916.jpg

obsessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by morse9443
Those are in need of an application of Obenaufs LP. Stat.

http://www.obenaufs.com/product_info...94bb8f192c25bb

obenauf's is great.

I recently got some pecard's and some sno-seal. both of them are more like a 'gel' than a 'balm' like obenauf's. I think obenauf's would be easier to apply in a sense that you wouldn't be as likely to over-apply the conditioner. pecard's and sno-seal seem like they'd work as well but I think obenauf's is a bit more heavy-duty. they will do your boots wonders.

Can you please take some pics afterwards? I'd like to see how well they clean up. I was surprised how great my red wing 875's looked after I had coated them.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to get some serious miles on their GTs yet? I'd like to see how they look once they've been beat in a bit.

headtowall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Has anyone had a chance to get some serious miles on their GTs yet? I'd like to see how they look once they've been beat in a bit.

Scroll up.

As for the Obenauf thing, I have Pecards. Will that cut it?

datasupa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Those are not GTs.

Um, yes they are. 1912 series, I believe. There are more GT models than the plain toe 1911/1914 models people have on here, but they're euro/*** versions mostly and harder to come by (i.e. not carried by zappos or cultizm).

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, my mistake. Mistook them for RWxJCrew.

obsessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by headtowall
Scroll up.

As for the Obenauf thing, I have Pecards. Will that cut it?

Pecard's is very similar......obenauf's is more like a balm, it is very hard/you can't push your finger into it like you can Pecard's. I have both and both have pretty much the same ingredients.

obsessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Any good reason to pick one over the other?

Price, availability.

The Obenauf's was easy to apply, you have to rub your finger over it a couple of times to let your body heat slightly melt the balm to a more oily composition. You can let it sit in the sun or microwave/hair dry it to let it melt down into a waxy oil if you'd like. I kind of liked the hardness of it. It is easy to use without using too much, you only get enough oil/wax on your finger to work in a little area which helps prevent over-oiling.

I think the Pecard's might be easier to use since it isn't as solid, it's more of a gel.....but also more prone to over-application. I'm going to Pecard a pair of boots tonight. I'll give a report as to which one I think was better, the harder Obenauf's (balm-like) vs the the softer Pecard's (gel-like).

I think either of them will do a good job, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads