• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcriswel

Reaction score
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Reserve

jlcreversograndereservexb5.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has such an elegant Deco style face. What a beauty! I have been eyeing this one for a few years. I could be tempted one day especially with a leather band.

Originally Posted by jcriswel
Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Reserve

jlcreversograndereservexb5.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I bought this a while ago, it's a bit too 'bling' for me. The bracelet is integral in that it cannot be replaced or adjusted as far as I can tell. I liked it because it's very thin but I've no real information on this brand. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know anything about this watch - Bueche Girod on the last page please?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace. This is from about 1850 and is a gilt quarter-plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts. The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds. The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell.
2528731283_b963fda2af.jpg
2529543302_2c4a33b6b8.jpg
2528734497_a534270acc.jpg
2529559884_29af61983f.jpg
2529546996_c6d7dbe9ae.jpg

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace.

This is from about 1850 and is a lever gilt quarter plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts.

The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds.

The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell.

- Great contrast with the chain!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It would look great with a 210's 3 piece suit with a liger cape.
laugh.gif

Jon.

I think this might have been a piece of Victorian mourning jewelry given the darkness of the tortoise. Even the gold parts have been polychromed to give it a dark patina.

cowboyjack

Reaction score
LabelKing,

That is one beautiful pocket watch.

I am a huge fan of pocket watches and carry a smaller hunter cased Elgin from shortly after the Civil War on a daily basis.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Very nice LK

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This watch incidentally needs two keys--one for winding and the other for setting the hands. I found a nice period-correct solid gold winding one, but I'm not sure about the size of the setting key.

The key pictured isn't original.

I think some serious gold hardware in the form of assorted jeweled fobs and gold keys would make a nice complement to the dark shell chain.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A new pocket watch--an 18kt yellow gold demi-hunter by the English maker, Charles Frodsham. Frodsham was considered one of the top English makers, specializing in chronometers and technical timepieces including ship's clocks. They were also makers to the Queen and were among the last to have actual premises in Buckingham Palace. This is from about 1850 and is a gilt quarter-plate lever fusee movement with a diamond endstone; high-grade English watches are delightfully old-fashioned. The English watchmakers were in fact, a dying industry even in the latter 19th century having been upstaged by the Swiss and Americans who had begun to use mass-produced ebauches and such--even the big names like Patek, et al.--and eschewed key-wind movements such as the very old-fashioned fusee system. The English continued to make every movement by hand thus preventing interchangeable parts. The English managed to last until the early 20th century, at which point their industry was dependent mostly on marine timepieces and watches bought by wealthy patriots. A simple gold Frodsham watch in 1897 cost 25 pounds which given inflation is about 13,000 Pounds. The chain is Victorian tortoise-shell.
2529546996_c6d7dbe9ae.jpg

I think there was around ten Frodsham chronometer/instrument makers, - they were sort of a dynasty, and all top-notch, which is why simpler instruments can have fake Frodsham markings. No doubt about this watch, though - it's great, especially the tortoiseshell chain. Some other products of the Frodsham family's work:
62318-35.jpg
58553-2.jpg
32926-4.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, this is a Charles Frodsham who was the last of the dynasty. He bought out some of the other famous makers like Arnold--some earlier watches are marked Arnold.

At the age of 20, Frodsham apparently won second prize with his marine chronometer at the Greenwich Observatory Trials.

The best movements had freespung balances.

handle76

Reaction score
i am thinking about buying this 18k yellow gold constellation. any thoughts are appreciated. mainly i am concerned if it is a little too much given the champagne colored dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads