• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a new hair style

Trale

Reaction score
Currently, my hair style is almost exactly like Yao Ming's in this picture:

http://politicsoffthegrid.files.word...007/08/yao.jpg

Kind of crew / semi-flat top. It's a very easy to cut and maintain, which is why I've had it for so long. My hair is also relatively thick, tough, and straight, which this caters to. But I'm in the mood for a change; can anyone recommend me another style that's relatively low-maintenance?

Links to examples would be appreciated.

Trale

Reaction score
Some more info:

- I'm Asian.
- No shaved head.
- No Mohawks / spikes (gotta work in a office environment)

Trale

Reaction score
- I'll consider high-maintainence styles as well

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you just need to find yourself a half-way decent stylist. Where do you get your haircut now, and how much do you pay? I'd find the best salon in your town and have one of their senior stylists work on your hair. I have relatively thick Asian hair, too, and have had razor cuts for many years now. Lots of layers, have it shaped and sculpted... Try and pick-up one of those Japanese or Korean men's style magazines... they tend to have examples of some of the more interesting and flattering cuts for Asian men.

zupermaus

Reaction score
If you want to see these pix closer, http://menshairstyles.net boring cuts but wax it up (but not too much wax - a common mistake)
veniceqd2.jpg
veniceen6.jpg
this will hide ur bone structure but its very retro fashion in Asia (read: anti spikey). ONly do it if ur funky, with a suit it will just look dated (not retro). It also may give you BIG HEAD syndrome.
veniceal8.jpg
Japanese layered: Out of all haircuts on the forum, these two have the highest scores among viewers (Asian and non-Asian). Personally Im not too keen, theyre pretty effeminite.
venicegi4.jpg
venicejb0.jpg
Japanese salon
men2.jpg
wispy (not spikey, honest)
venicerf8.jpg
venicefd2.jpg
veniceff4.jpg
med1-10.jpg
long wispy
veniceyz7.jpg
spikey crown, floppy front
venicehp6.jpg
Long, and only ever with a fringe
veniceyl5.jpg
longice_broch_erraticB.jpg
almost long (short back)
veniceoc8.jpg
veniceqa1.jpg
...whatever you do don't dye it. Dyed hair is VERY out , and is pretty dated as a Nineties thing, in Asia anyway (alot these pix are from them days). If you got the typical office/ going out dilemma, theres nothing a little bit of wax can fix for a short conservative haircut. Even the longer ones in these pix you can imagine can be boringed-up by drying your hair with a beanie on, then hand fluffing it free without any products. The most important thing is to pick the cut that suits ur face structure, there's no point picking the best one when it just hides ur cheekbones.

zupermaus

Reaction score
have you got a pic of urself?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zupermaus
Out of all haircuts on the forum, these two have the highest scores among viewers (Asian and non-Asian). Personally Im not too keen, theyre pretty effeminite.
Unfortunately some of the examples that are sometimes shown in mass media tend to be a little more effeminate than some would like. I interpret many of those fashiony photo shoots the way I would a runway show; they present an idea, not necessarily the actual execution you'd expect in real life. However, a decent stylist should be able to accommodate your needs, your face shape, and take your personality into account. It's more a questions of the skill level of the stylist. It's much more difficult to achieve the feathery-haired kind of effeminate look than the rubbish flat top the OP posted; any one that can cut that way should be able to give you something significantly better than the ugly flat top. zupermaus - your links don't seem to be working...

zupermaus

Reaction score
OK priceless information: The hit n miss of hair cuts. With the Asian face structure you should make the most of the high cheekbones, but try and square the jaw eg windblown/exposed with a fresh, clear face, good if you have the cheekbones:
veniceff4.jpg
lack of cheekbones exposed, not so great:
venicebo2.jpg
cheekbones rounded out with thick sides
frown.gif
, feminises the face and a common mistake among Asians:
venicejb0.jpg
veniceal8.jpg
cheekbones hidden but jaw accentuated by ending or feathering the cut at the angle of the jaw (the guy second one down on the left got it right):
men2.jpg
venicekj1.jpg
a square face structure accentuated by a fringe ending at the cheekbones, but eyebrows may be hidden (good on this guy but not great if you have small eyes)
veniceyl5.jpg
beware, same cut can accentuate a feminine face too. He needs to kill the 'sideburns':
venicehx8.jpg
and this cut is great but can dangerously feminise an oblong/ rounded face:
venicefx7.jpg
a straight front (as opposed to jagged) accentuates the eyes, good for sharply angled eyebrows
veniceeu3.jpg
venicegu0.jpg
venicebo0.jpg
and thin sideburns elongates and squares up the face by framing it (notice his jaw would be curved without it)
409066332_6832d4c59b.jpg

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zupermaus - Your pictures aren't showing up, could you please check the links?

geepeeone

Reaction score
<--------- My Hairstyle. Low Maintenance.

zupermaus

Reaction score
^ you got good eyes, get this one
venicebo0.jpg

zupermaus

Reaction score
I can do that for ya, Takeshi Kaneshiro, a Japanese/Taiwanese actor: You might have some difficulty tho, he's had great haircuts (he's the Asian David Beckham of hairstyles) you just need a bucket of water handy at all times:
biotherm5.jpg
or live in 2nd century China
Takeshi+Kaneshiro+in+House+of+Flying+Daggers+with+sword.jpg
looking very Japanese:
e52baddf32bbcf628d5337b7ea46e25a.jpg
veniceez2.jpg
short
1_takeshi_kaneshiro_21.jpg
veniceha7.jpg
venicewv8.jpg
Takeshi+Kaneshiro32.jpg
Oops
Takeshi+Kaneshiro+with+short+hair2.jpg
Semi-Long (No!)
venicelw7.jpg
Long:
veniceih4.jpg
venicefx4.jpg
Takeshi+Kaneshiro303.jpg
22t_takeshi_kaneshiro_001.jpg
Dyed in the 90s (second pic - ouch! just ouch)
Takeshi+Kaneshiro+with+long+layered+hair+in+brown+with+highlite.jpg
TKL2_gif.jpg
Its a shame Asians don't do this any more - one day Im going to grow my hair like this. For thousands of years hair has always been long (like LONG-long):
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

zupermaus

Reaction score
bb

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads