• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fitting chinos / pants

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My primary thought is try making your pics 80% you, and 20% surroundings. I think you're doin your fits a real injustice to have it the other way around (makes texture and other details difficult to detect). Why not rotating the camera 90 degreees, and have the photographer get closer? As nice as the park may be, I would suspect the point of the photo would be based on you. Moto type jacket looks nice, but its hard to get a read on it specifically.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I need some trousers too. Grey, navy, purple, yellow, blue, khaki, black, whatever. Something nice and slim (slimmer than jcrew/gap ****). Brands can be a bit higher since it's almost sale time and i might be able to get lucky. I like some of the petrov stuff i've seen but one guy selling on sufu doesn't have my size in these amazing purple ones. Wanna wear with button downs, sweaters, nicer shoes, etc... Any recs?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
As nice as the park may be, I would suspect the point of the photo would be based on you.

Heh, That's not a park, it's my backyard. It's a **** ton of grass to cut.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hah well that's a nice sized yard, I'd love to lookout to a treeline like that everyday.
smile.gif
edit: /done with my share of derailing the thread, apologies. Chrono, have you thought about going the tailoring route? You'd have a decent amount of play with how you want the pants to fit specifically.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick note about J Crew chinos: What was called the "slim" cut in previous collections is now called the "classic". They are cut fairly close through the hips, then taper slightly down to the ankles, but give the appearance of a straight leg. They have a medium to high rise and fit true to size. I have both regular and classic/slim pairs in a 30/32, if anybody wants measurements.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to post again, but I currently own a pair of j crew chinos I picked up cheap thrifiting (identical size) would you mind throwing up so measurements for comparison. I'm not sure how to tell what model they're supposed to be.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chronoaug;1076860 said:
If you come across any of this stuff in size 29 or 30, alert me please, I'd love gray and navy pants especially, even Uniqlo will sufice. Tia

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
If you come across any of this stuff in size 29 or 30, alert me please, I'd love gray and navy pants especially, even Uniqlo will sufice. Tia

In my experience, J Crew Slim Fit (now called Classic Fit) pants are just as slim, if not slimmer (due to the taper), as the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'm gonna take a look right now.....
smile.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Hate to post again, but I currently own a pair of j crew chinos I picked up cheap thrifiting (identical size) would you mind throwing up so measurements for comparison. I'm not sure how to tell what model they're supposed to be.
Size 30/32 Regular fit: Hips (at bottom of side pocket): 20.75" Knee: 9.5 Ankle: 8.5 Classic fit: Hips (at bottom of side pocket): 19" Knee: 9" Ankle: 8" The classics seem to have about a .5" longer inseam for some reason.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
In my experience, J Crew Slim Fit (now called Classic Fit) pants are just as slim, if not slimmer (due to the taper), as the Uniqlo Vintage Chinos.

I figured I might want to get some real measurements, so I did:

(Blue In Green style)

Uniqlo Vintage Chinos sz 29 (inseam hemmed to 29 instore)
Waist: 29"
Front Rise: 10"
Back Rise: 13.5"
Thigh: 10.25"
Knee: 8.5"
Hem: 8.25"

J Crew Essential Chinos sz 28(still at 32" inseam). Yes, size 28, these were snagged off the 'bay
bounce2.gif
Waist: 28"
Back Rise: 14.25"
Thigh: 10.5"
Knee: 8.75"
Hem: 7.75"

Keep in mind these are NOT the same size (albeit the smallest I could find from each company). That said, here are some observations:
- So much for the UVCs being the slim fit chinos, heh.
- J Crew Essential/Slim Fit give more room in the seat/thigh and taper to a smaller hem => Anti-fit, APC New Standard-ish.
- The hardware on the UVCs is a bit nicer, brass doughnut buttons + herringbone pocket lining.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I figured I might want to get some real measurements, so I did:

(Blue In Green style)

Uniqlo Vintage Chinos sz 29 (inseam hemmed to 29 instore)
Waist: 29"
Back Rise: 13.5"
Thigh: 10.25"
Knee: 8.5"
Hem: 8.25"

J Crew Essential Chinos sz 28(still at 32" inseam). Yes, size 28, these were snagged off the 'bay
bounce2.gif
Back Rise: 14.25"
Thigh: 10.5"
Knee: 8.75"
Hem: 7.75"

Keep in mind these are NOT the same size (albeit the smallest I could find from each company). That said, here are some observations:
- So much for the UVCs being the slim fit chinos, heh.
- J Crew Essential/Slim Fit give more room in the seat/thigh and taper to a smaller hem => Anti-fit, APC New Standard-ish.
- The hardware on the UVCs is a bit nicer, brass doughnut buttons + herringbone pocket lining.

Dude, J Crew slim fit chinos could not be further from anti-fit.

Lysol

Reaction score
I don't know if you've been to the Men's Clothing section of the B/S forum but many members are offering Incotex chinos (shameless, here is a link to my own contribution) at 1/5th of their retail price. Most are quite slim.

I'm very picky when it comes to chinos and I kept roughly 10 pairs for myself. The easiest RTW comparison I can make are the Polo Custom Fit chinos but they're a very subtle slim being slim through the entire leg. Most "slim" chinos I've found (H&M, Uniqlo, Polo Custom) just have an exaggerated taper.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Dude, J Crew slim fit chinos could not be further from anti-fit.

I was using SF/sufu jeans standards. Which is kinda unfair since jeans are meant to hug and flatter your backside, that and the rigid nature creates stacking, thus making more tapered hems look normal.

BTW, just going by measurements, if you are in the market for slim chinos, look at Incotex. Some (not all) of their models are at least as slim as either the J Crew or Uniqlos (I've seen ankle measurements for size 28 as small as 6.5") AND far better material / construction. If you can get them at the "Daffy sale fallout" price of $50-$70, they're a STEAL.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think about Original Penguin and Ben Sherman? I got a trouser in each brand and they fit pretty slim.

Penguins website has a couple of styles (Rockwood, Controlled Capacity and Non-Refundable) on sale for about $70 and those look pretty slim, it might nto be the slimmest out there though. It is also available in different colors. http://www.originalpenguin.com/opg/c...id=OPGMAPRLPTS

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads