• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting rid of TV altogether?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went without a tv in the house for several years. I didn't miss it until big sporting events or national elections were being held.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Who has time for TV with Styleforum to occupy all available time...

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
I have satellite with most of the channels that are available, an older big screen (looking to upgrade to a flat screen), and 5.1 surround sound. I watch a fair amount of television, but it's all Tivo'd - commercials are a waste of time. Also, I'm usually doing something else - reading a magazine, cleaning, folding clothes, surfing the Net, etc., unless there's something that I really want to see.

I wouldn't want to get rid of it altogether, but I refuse to have the TV on just for background noise or company. That's what music is for.

First post, btw. Greetings, all.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
My bedroom is unplugged from TV since it's the only place I get any reading done, but I've got one for my living room

Same here. I really only watch the news, movies on premium channels and some shows I'm addicted too (mostly HBO stuff and Conan). a TV in our bedroom is a depressing thought. I hope we never get to a point where we feel we need/want one

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
I like specifically sought entertainment. TV is too controlling. Can't tell me what to watch.

Yup.

Originally Posted by VMan
The internet is 10x worse than television

Not in my experience, but to each his own.

Originally Posted by Brian278
I'm guessing none of you like sports?
confused.gif

I like the World Cup, which won't be on for a couple of years. I also like the Tour de France, but if I don't watch it, it's no biggie.

Originally Posted by m@T
The way I read it, Jon is asking whether not purchasing a TV (as in the set) when he moves negatively impacts his life. I am kinda reading this as a practical question of 'do I have to put a TV on my shopping list when I move' rather than a quasi-philosophical discussion about the delivery medium of televised programming.

Given that he will still have his computer, he will be able to download various shows and watch them without a trip to the TV department at Circuit City.

but if he is saying he is simply not going to buy a TV when he moves north, then other than huddling around his PC (or using a projector)...then DVDs are out too.

It was actually a question of both. While yes, the financial expenditure of buying a new TV is not one I am looking forward to, It's a combination of both buying a TV and the fact that it tends to take time away from more meaningful pursuits which prompted my original question.

I think I might try not having the TV and see how it goes from there.

Jon.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
... I refuse to have the TV on just for background noise or company. That's what music is for.

Lone Wolf, I agree. I do not have a tv on if company is visiting, and I hate it when I visit others and one is on.

Welcome to the forum.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

It was actually a question of both. While yes, the financial expenditure of buying a new TV is not one I am looking forward to, It's a combination of both buying a TV and the fact that it tends to take time away from more meaningful pursuits which prompted my original question.

Lots of people waste their time with allegedly more meaningful pursuits. Have you seen some of the **** that people are creating (art, literature, poetry, etc.)? A lot of these "creative" folks would have been better off watching tv and not bothering the rest of us with their garbage.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its admirable. The only reason I have DirectTV is to get the NBA League Pass so I can watch games. Most of the time all I ever watch is the Seinfeld Reruns (which I have the DVDs for anyways), Family Guy, How I Met Your Mother and Top Chef. There are a few interesting shows, but everything is really repetative, especially the news programs...really sickening in general how much the same they are (coming from ALL spectrums).

Prince

Reaction score
When I just moved into my house, I didn't have a TV for a few weeks and no internet for more than a month. Basically, it was heaven. I didn't miss anything on the tv actually, except for football. I did get a lot of reading done during that period. Now that the tv and internet are back, I find myself spending too much time on it.

I've been without a tv/internet once for 6 months, when I was on a work placement somewhere. I didn't even miss it then.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince
When I just moved into my house, I didn't have a TV for a few weeks and no internet for more than a month. Basically, it was heaven. I didn't miss anything on the tv actually, except for football. I did get a lot of reading done during that period. Now that the tv and internet are back, I find myself spending too much time on it.

I've been without a tv/internet once for 6 months, when I was on a work placement somewhere. I didn't even miss it then.

I now watch tv while I'm on the internet. During the summer I mainly watch news and reruns. Other times of the year I watch football and basketball. Only one tv in the house, and that's enough.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Lots of people waste their time with allegedly more meaningful pursuits. Have you seen some of the **** that people are creating (art, literature, poetry, etc.)? A lot of these "creative" folks would have been better off watching tv and not bothering the rest of us with their garbage.

Where do you live and what do you do again, odor? It must suck to have amateur arts shoved down your throat everyday.
laugh.gif

Seriously, less it's the 0.01% of the population who are genius, you gotta start somewhere. And that is another difference between "meaningful pursuits", where exists some kind of desirable destinations, and watching TV, an activity devoid of such long term goals.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Where do you live and what do you do again, odor? It must suck to have amateur arts shoved down your throat everyday.
laugh.gif

Seriously, less it's the 0.01% of the population who are genius, you gotta start somewhere. And that is another difference between "meaningful pursuits", where exists some kind of desirable destinations, and watching TV, an activity devoid of such long term goals.

All I'm saying is that just because people give up tv to do something else, doesn't mean that something else is going to be more meaningful. Many of those people would have been better off just watching tv than wasting their time doing all that other crap. I'm not even sure that reading is any more meaningful than watching tv. It just takes longer.

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
All I'm saying is that just because people give up tv to do something else, doesn't mean that something else is going to be more meaningful. Many of those people would have been better off just watching tv than wasting their time doing all that other crap. I'm not even sure that reading is any more meaningful than watching tv. It just takes longer.

Watching TV is for marsupials.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
How many of you have completely unplugged from TV? If so, how has your life benefited? Are there any drawbacks? When I move up north somewhere next year for my MBA, I'm seriously considering not having a TV in my apartment.

Jon.

If you are concerned about wasting time, don't make 20+ posts a day.

dl

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a tv for 4 years. I do own a couple of DVDs and rent movies occaisionally.

I do hate it when people ask me if I've seen (insert tv / commercial here) and when I say no they
plain.gif

Plus, I don't really miss anything because there's a tv at the bank, the restaurant, at the urinal, at the store, etc. and anything I miss I can always catch at Blockbuster or on YouTube.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads