• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
While I realize that Acorn is supposedly the shirting of the English upper class, deployed like a secret handshake
rolleyes.gif
, every shirtmaker I know swears that the quality is well below par, especially for the price.

Manton, any chance you'd comment on why you think - or why you take it that every shirtmaker you know thinks - that Acorn is the pits, compared, perhaps, to something like Mason? I don't have any shirts made out of the former, and I'm happy with my experiences with the latter, but if there's a reason not to reach for Acorn in the future even if I particularly like one of the patterns I'd be interested to know what it is.

riverrun

Reaction score
other than FNB's love of it, that is

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Just in time for Summer.
Very nice. Is that from Chat-bite?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
Manton, any chance you'd comment on why you think - or why you take it that every shirtmaker you know thinks - that Acorn is the pits, compared, perhaps, to something like Mason? I don't have any shirts made out of the former, and I'm happy with my experiences with the latter, but if there's a reason not to reach for Acorn in the future even if I particularly like one of the patterns I'd be interested to know what it is.

I always liked the Acorn patterns myself, and have some older MTM shirts from it. But all the makers I have used lately (and continue to use) look down on it. They say the quality is bad for the price paid, and they can tell in the cutting and the sewing. They just don't like to work with it.

I actually wanted a certain kind of cloth recently. I looked through all the books and couldn't find it. I finally found it in one of those Acorn fold-outs, buried in beneath a bunch of stuff. The maker didn't exactly refuse to make it for me, but he felt so strongly about it that he talked me out of it.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my shirtmaker doesn't have problems with Acorn. I'm also pretty happy with the one Acorn shirt I have, a solid white made from their Grasmere line.

--Andre

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
FWIW, my shirtmaker doesn't have problems with Acorn.
--Andre

+1

ET

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Acorn Grange range is a great cloth for everyday wear. 100's 2x2 but with a great silky hand.

No one else has fabric like the Kendal range. 80% cotton, 20% wool, 2/60's x 24s. Great patterns for casual shirts.
I've worn some of the Kendal's for 15+ years and they look great.

I seldom use any of the other ranges. Grasmere occasionally.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I think Acorn Grange range is a great cloth for everyday wear. 100's 2x2 but with a great silky hand.

No one else has fabric like the Kendal range. 80% cotton, 20% wool, 2/60's x 24s. Great patterns for casual shirts.

I agree- I picked up a few yards of a green / blue check from this range just a few weeks ago. Great stuff by the looks of it:

Picture002-12.jpg

riverrun

Reaction score
Thanks for dropping the knowledge, SFers. I'm sort of intrigued with the 80/20 stuff as well - I might experiment with it next winter. How would one have that made up? Would that have to be a BD collar (what else would work)? Maybe a bit roomier through the body?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
Thanks for dropping the knowledge, SFers. I'm sort of intrigued with the 80/20 stuff as well - I might experiment with it next winter. How would one have that made up? Would that have to be a BD collar (what else would work)? Maybe a bit roomier through the body?

I was thinking a medium spread with a two-button cuff. Nothing fancy. I don't like BDs.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Is it summer yet? Generally crappy pictures due to fluorescent lighting. Just picked these up today.
inlove.gif

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

Came from this:
DSC09304.jpg

Beautiful shirts J! I spoke with Eugene today and he said you had been about 20 minutes earlier. My 2 spread collar Loro Piana linen/cotton shirts and the BDC pure linen plaid are ready. Now that I've seen yours,I can't wait to pick mine up.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Beautiful chorse! I'm always impressed by your shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads