• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing Problem: Jock Itch

evesadam

Reaction score
This is an embarrassing problem to talk about, but I finally want to deal with it: jock itch. I've got the fungus problem and have had it for several years. I've been discreetly trying to deal with it via over the counter lotions such as lamisil and tinactin. However, while they keep the problem from getting worse, it never fully goes away.

Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully via medical prescriptions, or some other non prescription method?

I also have this fungus on my big toes. Very embarrassing, but I am looking for a solution.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Why don't you see a doctor?

Also, if it keeps coming back after you use OTC medications you are probably not washing your towels enough or re-using the same gym clothes for several days in a row.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand that these funguses (and they are pretty much the same) are frightened of sunlight.

Is nudism an option?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Way to introduce yourself, evesadam! Pretty ballsy of you!

You must live in a warm part of the country to have that as a chronic problem. My question to you, though, is how long you used the topical antifungals? If you use the cream and the jock itch improved overall, then keep using it. Also, the fungus thrives in a moist environment, so use an antifungal powder as well.

But I agree with SoCal, go see a doctor to eradicate this **** from your body. Having the fungus on your feet and in your nails will forever allow colonization elsewhere unless you take an oral medication to fully eradicate it.

If you are overweight, then you might have creases in your crotch that harbors a yeast infection as well, so you might need a powder, like Nystatin, to eradicate it.

Take home message? Go see a friggin' doctor to take care of it once and for all.

evesadam

Reaction score
The problem was so embarrassing for me, that I neglected it altogether for years and years. Right now, I'm without health insurance, so I'm trying to deal with it without the assistance of a doctor. Even when I did have health insurance, it was too embarrassing to deal with at a doctor's office.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't be embarrassed man. John Wayne probably called it a sign of manhood

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evesadam
The problem was so embarrassing for me, that I neglected it altogether for years and years. Right now, I'm without health insurance, so I'm trying to deal with it without the assistance of a doctor. Even when I did have health insurance, it was too embarrassing to deal with at a doctor's office.
There is a freaking fungus feeding off your body. Are you seriously that proud? Presumably you had a doctor. Call him/her up and explain the situation and ask what the charge would be. In my experience doctors want to help and will likely give you a break. And anyway, they've seen way more embarassing things than your jock itch. Even if your doc is a she, these are professionals, you know? Go before you find mushrooms sprouting from your thighs...

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Doctors have heard lots of stories MUCH more embarrassing than jock itch. No big deal. Hell I've had it several times! The Lamisil topical stuff (not the spray) always works for me.

As far as the toes, I'm pretty sure the pill is the only thing that works for that.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Smiley
Doctors have heard lots of stories MUCH more embarrassing than jock itch.

Think of it this way, at least you don't have some foreign object shoved up your behind that you can't get out, now that would probably be pretty embarrassing
:).

Seriously though, it's pretty routine stuff and nothing to be embarrassed about. Better to get it checked out and dealt with then to have to live with it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Smiley
Doctors have heard lots of stories MUCH more embarrassing than jock itch. No big deal. Hell I've had it several times! The Lamisil topical stuff (not the spray) always works for me.

As far as the toes, I'm pretty sure the pill is the only thing that works for that.

+1 on Lamisil. But, for God's sake, avoid the aerosol unless you like your crotch frozen. Pump spray works fine, let it dry before you put anything on.

If this is a chronic issue, you'll need to make some changes. For starters, give up the tightey-whiteys and go with boxers. Shower right after your gym sessions - don't just hop in the car and shower later. Wash and bleach your towels - hot water only.

As for the toes, the last time I saw my derm, he told me the pills work for 1 in 3 cases, and they're hell on your liver. I passed on it. My podiatrist prescribed me a topical anti-fungal lacquer that you apply like nail polish, and I've used it with no success. Sucks, 1) because it was expensive and 2) for that kind of $$$, I wanted sparkles!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
As for the toes, the last time I saw my derm, he told me the pills work for 1 in 3 cases, and they're hell on your liver. I passed on it. My podiatrist prescribed me a topical anti-fungal lacquer that you apply like nail polish, and I've used it with no success. Sucks, 1) because it was expensive and 2) for that kind of $$$, I wanted sparkles!

Lamisil does nothing to your liver IF you do not already have liver problems. If you want the fungus on your nails gone, this is the easiest and most predictable way of eradicating it. Just go to your doctor, get a liver function test - if it's normal, you have nothing to worry about. If your doctor, and you, take the necessary precautions by simply evaluating the condition of your liver (and, come on, you know if you're a risk for a damaged liver) it is an extremely safe drug. Considering that this fungus is contagious, the Lamisil pills is only part of the whole regimen of getting rid of the infection and keeping it gone.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jock itch is very common, dude. You need to see a doc. If you can't then you need to make some changes. Switch underwear, whatever you wear, wear the opposite. Use baby powder every day to keep your crotch dry. Wear wool or cotton pants, no synthetics because they don't breathe. If you are overweight try to loose some.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Lamisil does nothing to your liver IF you do not already have liver problems. If you want the fungus on your nails gone, this is the easiest and most predictable way of eradicating it. Just go to your doctor, get a liver function test - if it's normal, you have nothing to worry about. If your doctor, and you, take the necessary precautions by simply evaluating the condition of your liver (and, come on, you know if you're a risk for a damaged liver) it is an extremely safe drug. Considering that this fungus is contagious, the Lamisil pills is only part of the whole regimen of getting rid of the infection and keeping it gone.

Well, the dermatologist only discussed the one type of fungus I'm sporting and it's not the normal thick-yellow-nail variety. My podiatrist thought my shoes were too short and the rough texture was impact stress. Long story short, the pod wasn't sure, the derm decided treatment was optional but not worth the liver stress, I paid my co-pay and went on my merry way. That was around two years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics