• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Actual Email conversation with a Job Applicant

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received a resume that listed the following as experience. (The Bold for emphasis is my own)

SKILLS:_** Computer:* Microsoft
Word, Power point, Excel, Outlook,

Database Systems,
Internet applications and QuickBooks
Other: *5+ years of
professional office experience

· Self Motivated
· Committed to performing quality work
· Strong initiative, Quick learner

*_EXPERIENCE: _** *_New York City-Broad of Education _
The resume looked ok but she wasnt what I wanted. Regardless I felt it would help her if I told her about the typo but I didnt want to insult her so I hinted at the typo as follows:

Hi:
Some constructive comments on your resume.
You might want to change your first Job Listing.
Sincerely,
HR.

Her response to me was:

Hi. I really don't think there is any problem with my first job
listing!!!
At least it is the honest (TRUTH!!!). How many applicants do you know
that can say that!!!
Seeing that my hints at her typo were not sufficient, I emailed her the following:

You were with the Broad of Education?

Her response?

Yes! As stated on my resume. The reason why my employment ended there was due to the fact that the assignment was over. They hired alot of temps in the beginging of the school year, anticipating that the phones were going to be ringing off the hook with concerned parent about their children being picked up on time.

Once the children settled in, there was not need for that many reps to work the phones.
Finally, I realized that it wasnt a typo. Just good old fashion Ignorance...My response:

"The word is BOARD, not BROAD. BROAD is a derogatory term for WOMAN."

I haven't heard from her yet.

biggrin.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody who types "!!!" in professional correspondence (especially at the end of a question) should not only not be hired, but should actually be fired from their current job.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
anybody who types "!!!" in professional correspondence (especially at the end of a question) should not only not be hired, but should actually be fired from their current job.

worship.gif

I blame public education...and text messaging. Due u? I R write on dis.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The grammar issues don't bother me all that much.. The position was a menial one
(Pulling merchandise for web order fulfillment).

I can look away from sentences like this which dont make sense unless you include the word truth which is excluded form the original sentence by use of the parenthesis.

At least it is the honest (TRUTH!!!). How many applicants do you know
that can say that!!!
But the word Broad for Board? C'mon.

m_wave

Reaction score
Sure there was an error in spelling and she is obviously pretty green, however I think your responses were very unprofessional. One email pointing out that she wasn't a suitable applicant and letting her know her error would have been more than sufficient. You just come over a little petty and pedantic..

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You work in HR and you wrote
Originally Posted by FIHTies
The word is BOARD, not BROAD. BROAD is a derogatory term for WOMAN.
??

Are you serious? That's really unprofessional.

Sure, she is dumb for not double-checking her resume for typos but you played yourself like a chump when you didn't just tell her why she should "change her first job listing" in the first place, like it's some kind of game.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Was her name Audrey by any chance?

lithium180

Reaction score
Since people generally only look at the first and last letter of a word to determine its meaning, (especially when they are reading over something that they've already written and believe they know the meaning of) it's understandable that she could scan over this word and not see the typo. It wouldn't come up in spell check either, which is what she's probably keyed into to notice spelling errors. I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that she doesn't know the difference between board and broad.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
Since people generally only look at the first and last letter of a word to determine its meaning, (especially when they are reading over something that they've already written and believe they know the meaning of) it's understandable that she could scan over this word and not see the typo. It wouldn't come up in spell check either, which is what she's probably keyed into to notice spelling errors. I don't think you can jump to the conclusion that she doesn't know the difference between board and broad.

No, but you can jump to the conclusion that she doesn't pay attention to detail, most likely a deterrent to not hire someone.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
No, but you can jump to the conclusion that she doesn't pay attention to detail, most likely a deterrent to not hire someone.
I have been working part-time for a publisher for years. I supervise a collection, but I also help with some of the actual finishing job (small publisher, everybody lends a hand).

Anyway, over the years, I have had to read many manuscripts for typo and spelling, among other problems. Those are texts written by professors and brilliant people. They have been checked already once or twice by the guy editing the book. And yet you would not believe how many mistakes I still find. Worse, I have no doubt there are quite a few left after I have read it.

I can tell you I am never criticizing somebody for bad spell checking again.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh god that exchange was painful

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
Sure there was an error in spelling and she is obviously pretty green, however I think your responses were very unprofessional. One email pointing out that she wasn't a suitable applicant and letting her know her error would have been more than sufficient. You just come over a little petty and pedantic..
Originally Posted by yerfdog
You work in HR and you wrote ?? Are you serious? That's really unprofessional. Sure, she is dumb for not double-checking her resume for typos but you played yourself like a chump when you didn't just tell her why she should "change her first job listing" in the first place, like it's some kind of game.
Of course, I knew it was my fault which is why I posted this here. I was wondering if you could see it too. Next time something like this comes along I will be sure to tell them right off that they are imbeciles. Its interesting because I have never hired anyone based on a resume alone, but the one possible foot in the door, the one thing that I have to judge you by is your resume. It should be checked over 5 times and then given to someone to proof as well, because a resume isn't a reason to hire someone but it is a reason to reject someone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads