• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pickups over the last month or so:
Steven Alan grey suede sneakers (thanks timpoblete)
White painted hi top JV chucks
Custom red suede/parchment hi top chucks
YMC reversible jacket
Nom de Guerre revolver t
Uniqlo striped supima cotton ts
Krane Walter brief
Alternative Apparel t (didn't like the fit on these at all and the collar was ****)
Academi slim straight in grey
Seasons 1-3 of The Office
I'll try to get some pics up, but the mac camera sucks. Camera should be the next thing I buy.

gmku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I have two Stetsons - one for winter and one for summer. The Stetson "Open Road," the signature hat of both Harry Truman and LBJ. I bought one on a road trip years ago and wore it during the trip then ended up selling it to a vintage store. I regretted selling it for years then found the felt hat on ebay last year (apparently they're highly sought there). I just got the straw on yesterday for summer.
photowa0.jpg

Yeah, I'm torn. I still think they're very nice hats. Just not sure I wanna drop the coin they're asking.

And a friend of mine said I'd look like a cowboy.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like those hats.^ I've wanted a black hat with a wide? brim lately, but not a fedora, something like it.

I didn't plan on buying anything today, but I picked up this Jil Sander sweater, looks cool up close:

DSC_0003-2.jpg

And then the cute sales guy gave me a free Dries Van Noten spring 08 book:
DSC_0008.jpg

Which I thought was nice.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Did you get it at Barneys?
Take it back, Tuesday it will be 40% off.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
I really like those hats.^ I've wanted a black hat with a wide? brim lately, but not a fedora, something like it.

The thing about the Open Road is that it's a very short brim for a western hat, but slightly wider than a fedora, to it strikes a nice compromise. I like a hat to be practical also - I want it to make some shade if I wear it to the beach or to the farmer's market on sunday afternoon. I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

+1 I don't mind coming to the line usually but I don't want to cross it.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Did you get it at Barneys?
Take it back, Tuesday it will be 40% off.

No, I got it at Saks Mens store in Chevy Chase. Damn, I hate paying full retail.

The thing about the Open Road is that it's a very short brim for a western hat, but slightly wider than a fedora, to it strikes a nice compromise. I like a hat to be practical also - I want it to make some shade if I wear it to the beach or to the farmer's market on sunday afternoon. I also like implied western vibe without going all-out country singer style.

I know absolutely nothing about mens hats, there's a specific one I'm looking for that I saw on someone, I can describe it, but I haven't been able to find something like it on any website. I like that too (in bold) as long as its mixed with things that are the antithesis of western.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
RS orange sherbet sweatpant shorts and red/white zig zag tshirt

gmku

Reaction score
I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but what about a 30 dollar canvas hat that imitates the look of a fedora. I'm looking at something in the Duluth Trading catalog they call "FDR's Summer Hat." Obviously it's not in the same class as a Stetson, but would it be an uncool choice? Am I better to spring for 5 times that for a much nicer hat?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's no reason to spend a ton of money on a hat if you're not even sure you'll wear it often. I got both of those hats above for about $100 combined. For what you're looking for just get a no-name hat that you like.

gmku

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still on the fence about it. It could make a nice addition to my wardrobe. If so, I don't wanna go with something that looks cheap. I want more than a poolside or work in the yard kind of hat, in other words. & wow, that's a great price!

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gmku
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still on the fence about it. It could make a nice addition to my wardrobe. If so, I don't wanna go with something that looks cheap. I want more than a poolside or work in the yard kind of hat, in other words. & wow, that's a great price!

You can make cheap clothes look like luxury items if you can rock it. Just because something's inexpensive doesn't mean it will look cheap.

gmku

Reaction score
Very true. It's just one of those things. For 30 bucks I get a serviceable hat. For a little more than twice that, I start getting into a classier serviceable hat.

This kind of thing can drive me nuts.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
0517082115.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads