• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maftei tonight: Adelaide toe patterns

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thansen88
My first post, though I don't know how I've lived this long without knowing about this terrific forum. .

Welcome! Be warned. This place is known for its feeding frenzies. You may well see a rush of people "knocking down your door" if the shoes are drool-worthy.

Looking forward to your future posts,
grim.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Anyone have any ideas what one would wear midnight blue shoes with? I like the idea, but I can't think of an appropriate situation outside of formal.

Still agonizing over this decision...

E., I am wearing midnight blue Vass derbies in this shot:

288439451_c5sPP-XL.jpg

The Vass up close:

288439464_FdrpK-L.jpg

Dark blue is a night time shoe for me.

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas what one would wear midnight blue shoes with?

It's the "casual" black.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RB, how did you decide?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
RB, how did you decide?

After consulting with him, Prof. Hansen told me that Maftei said an adelaide would be no problem at all. Chose a chisel toe last, no cap, no medallion, mid brown. Pegged sole, initials in nails, very tight waist to impress SF membership
wink.gif

Told him to go ahead and disagree with anything I've specified at will. I have enough shoes that this one doesn't have to be anything too specific. For this shoe, I'm most interested in fit and having something unique.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
However, given the.chikor's recent experience with Maftei, I do believe that they are more than willing to make a British-style shoe.

Yes, no problem there. However, caveat, the easiest thing to do is give them a color photograph of the style you want and tell them the specifics you want with the shoe, e.g., sole thickness, pegged or sewn welt, padded insole, arch support, waist style (which the picture may not show too well.), etc. I would also ask to have Lucian Maftei make your shoes-he is the one that really likes to make the English last/styles.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
After consulting with him, Prof. Hansen told me that Maftei said an adelaide would be no problem at all. Chose a chisel toe last, no cap, no medallion, mid brown. Pegged sole, initials in nails, very tight waist to impress SF membership
wink.gif

Told him to go ahead and disagree with anything I've specified at will. I have enough shoes that this one doesn't have to be anything too specific. For this shoe, I'm most interested in fit and having something unique.

Dang, this is all very exciting. When do you think you will get them?

Might be a drink or two in it for you if you show them off.

- B

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Dang, this is all very exciting. When do you think you will get them?

Might be a drink or two in it for you if you show them off.

- B

It will be so!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the.chikor
Yes, no problem there. However, caveat, the easiest thing to do is give them a color photograph of the style you want and tell them the specifics you want with the shoe, e.g., sole thickness, pegged or sewn welt, padded insole, arch support, waist style (which the picture may not show too well.), etc. I would also ask to have Lucian Maftei make your shoes-he is the one that really likes to make the English last/styles.

Don't you have to do that with every maker? Especially on your first order?
smile.gif

RB seems experienced enough to get along. But, I wonder what that means in particular?
laugh.gif
For this shoe, I'm most interested in fit and having something unique. Quote: RB

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Don't you have to do that with every maker? Especially on your first order?
smile.gif

RB seems experienced enough to get along. But, I wonder what that means in particular?
laugh.gif
For this shoe, I'm most interested in fit and having something unique. Quote: RB

It means, if at some point he decides he doesn't want to do the Adelaide, or doesn't get the color exactly right, or puts some punches in I wasn't expecting, it's not the end of the world, as long as the shoe fits well. I don't think its worthwhile to fret over these details on a first shoe. I'm most interested in getting the fit right. After that we can quibble about holes and seams.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will you receive a trial shoe or the finished order?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^Trial shoe. Not sure on the timing between each.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads