• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Justine Henin abruptly retires

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Wow and I thought Annika Sorenstam's announcement yesterday was surprising.

You almost have to wonder if she's pregnant.

mink31

Reaction score
She'll be back. What the hell else is she gonna do? Go to college?

datasupa

Reaction score
She's doing what's commonly known as a 'fade to black.'

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe she's only 25. Anyway, it's not unheard of, and I do not think she'll be back. Bjorn Borg anyone? And in the female game, you are just about past your prime at that age. Most female tennis players peak around 19-22.

The only strange part is stepping away mid-season. There are still several grand slams this year she could have won.

jkennett

Reaction score
I heard there was a bit of a cocaine scandal with her, which she supposedly disproved with a hair strand test... then she decided she was done with tennis. Odd circumstances, but I suppose that leaving on top of the game isn't the worst way to go.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
I heard there was a bit of a cocaine scandal with her, which she supposedly disproved with a hair strand test... then she decided she was done with tennis. Odd circumstances, but I suppose that leaving on top of the game isn't the worst way to go.

That was Martina Hingis, not the reigning top-ranked player in the world.
plain.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Mats Wilander did the same thing in 89(?) after he beat Lendl in 5 sets at the USOpen and got the #1 ranking.....said there's more to life than tennis and he'd accomplished everything he wanted so he quit while on top

She's smart....I'm sure she's got enough $ to last her a lifetime without ever working again so why not

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I guess the question is, how does she want to be remembered?

No one really remembers Mats Wilander and he's certainly not ranked among the top players of all time.

Justine Henin may be going out on top with plenty of $$, but she probably won't be mentioned in any discussion of the top players of all time.

In that sense, I guess it really does mean that she has lost the passion for the game because nothing else really makes sense.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my take on it. She has been number one in the rankings for 117 weeks, more than 2 years straight. She has not been doing well this year, and does appear to have lost her passion for the game. She was always so gritty and gutsy before. Given that, I can understand her desire to leave on her own terms before things get worse for her and she really slides downhill.

That being said, I am enormously disappointed. I loved watching her play. Her backhand was the sweetest shot I can think of. It was poetry in motion.

All the best Justine.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
pink cashmere tie

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
That was Martina Hingis, not the reigning top-ranked player in the world.
plain.gif

LOL. My fault! I skimmed an article about it yesterday, and completely misread it. They were comparing the Hingis' and Henin's retirements, and I just got them mixed. Anyways... It's a shame to see her go so abruptly at her peak, but I suppose it's better to go out on top than to fade away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads