• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Tuczeks

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I assume Tuczek is a hungarian maker?

Sort of. He was Hungarian and trained there, but he came to London and in the '30s (and maybe earlier) through the 50s his shop was arguably the most fashionable bespoke shoe maker in London.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lobb St James bought the name.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sort of. He was Hungarian and trained there, but he came to London and in the '30s (and maybe earlier) through the 50s his shop was arguably the most fashionable bespoke shoe maker in London.

I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

George Cleverley started working for him after WW1. According to the website, by then, Tuczek was an established "˜high society London shoemaker"˜.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I believe Tuczek was Czech, who would have arrived in England sometime in Edwardian days. At this time, he must have come from either Bohemia or Moravia (then provinces of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy.)

Thats what I thought, too, when I first read the name.

But, there are more hungarian references, when you google it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe

George Cleverley started working for him after WW1. According to the website, by then, Tuczek was an established "˜high society London shoemaker"˜.

You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If he was an emigrant from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that could explain the "Hungarian" description, no? The name sounds Czech.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a nice story, told in 1994 by G. Bruce Boyer, how John Hlustik (Edward Green) was willing to pay a customer $ 3500 for his pair of vintage Tuczek shoes.

"Just the other week," says Hlustik, "a gentleman came into the shop for some new shoes. He was wearing a pair made by Tuczek in the early 1940s. They were so marvelous, I asked him if he would sell them to me...offered him $3,500. He refused, and I can't say I blame him. After 50 years, they had an absolutely vintage classicism about them."
Just to put it into context: $ 3500 in 1994 would have been the price for three pairs of Cleverley bespoke ($ 1100-1200).

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...22,759,00.html

lancastrian

Reaction score
Hi - I am also related to the Tuczek family - my interest in finding out a little more stems from a recent visit to Winston Churchill's former home, Chartwell. It appears the monogrammed slippers he wore were made by the Tuczek company.

Tabman

Reaction score

The original Nikolaus Tuczek came from Austria-Hungary to Britain in 1846. He was naturalised in the later 1800s (I have a copy of his naturalisation document). One of his seven children, also called Nikolaus, set up the famous Tuczek business, which was established well before WW1. Another son (my great grandfather) also had a shoe-making business prior to WW1, but my grandfather didn't carry it on.

Tabman

Reaction score
You may be right about his origins. All I really know know is that in the interwar period until (I think) 1958, his shop was considered "the best" in London. Moreso even than Lobb.

The business went down the tubes in the 1960s, and the clientele was bought by Lobbs in 1968.

Maya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicolette Greer
Hi, I'm typing on behalf of Nicolette Greer who's father was Anton Tuczek. She is trying to find out any information about her father and would be very grateful of any information you may have on the family.

Tabman & Maya: Please send us a PM so we can exchange an details that the other may have.

My Thanks on behalf of Nicolette

Nicolette you asked to contact you some time ago re information on Anton Tuczek - my mother has considerable history in the Tuczek family. Please do email me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads