• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on RLPL Grant Fit

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Grants in size 8 at the local Polo store. The width is perfect but they are slightly too long and my foot slips out as I walk.

Should I try to get them to ship out some 7.5s for me to try or are they likely to be too narrow? Should I buy inserts? Should I not buy them at all? Advice?

These are, incidentally, the most beautiful I have ever seen in person (though you guys regularly post photos of equally beautiful shoes). I imagine they are even more beautiful in Dark Oak and I guess that explains why so many of you own them!

pledge

Reaction score
I had a similar experience and wound up sizing down to a size 7.5 (American). Although my toes are a little cramped, I wouldn't say that the shoes were particularly narrow (and I have a slightly wide foot). In any event, it seems that the consensus on the Forum is that EGs should fit somewhat snug in the beginning and will stretch out over time to conform to your foot. Besides, it seems that this might be the best deal you'll ever get on EGs again. Let us all know what you decide.

fusherino

Reaction score
gentleman, for reference could you please share what size shoe you normally wear (and the shoe maker)? thanks!

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG/RLPL 888 last = UK 10.5 /US 11
G&G MTO Smart Square Last = UK 10E
Lobb 8000 last = UK10E
Ferragamo Tramezza = US 11D
Mantelassi = US 11
Vass U Last = 44.5
C&J 337 and 348 lasts = UK 10E

By far, the best fitting shoe is the G&G.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, yes, I suppose that would be helpful.

7.5E in AE #5 last (Park Avenues)
8 US in C&J for RL (but the fit is slightly too long and narrow)
6.5G in RM Williams Craftsman (but fourth and fifth toes push up slightly against the leather)

Thanks.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Uh, yes, I suppose that would be helpful.

7.5E in AE #5 last (Park Avenues)
8 US in C&J for RL (but the fit is slightly too long and narrow)
6.5G in RM Williams Craftsman (but fourth and fifth toes push up slightly against the leather)

Thanks.

Very surprised based on your other shoes you were having issues with the 8's. I would suppose the Grants would be more narrow than your C&J 8's... probably too narrow.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The C&Js are definitely tighter on my foot.

fusherino

Reaction score
thank you very much, that is a lot of shoes to use for conversion including some perfect matches! thanks again.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You're welcome, but keep in mind that none of these, except possibly the AEs, fit me perfectly.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
EG/RLPL 888 last = UK 10.5 /US 11
G&G MTO Smart Square Last = UK 10E
Lobb 8000 last = UK10E
Ferragamo Tramezza = US 11D
Mantelassi = US 11
Vass U Last = 44.5
C&J 337 and 348 lasts = UK 10E

By far, the best fitting shoe is the G&G.

Interesting because I am a
EG/RLPL UK10.5/US11 (nice roomy fit for my toes)
Tried my first pair of G&G in UK 10E and way snug! Sent them back for a 10.5
Lobb UK 10E in various lasts
Ferragamo almost always a 10.5
Mantelassi US 10.5

It appears that you and I enjoy a different fit in many of the same shoes.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. Any last advice before I make my decision? Thanks.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Bump. Any last advice before I make my decision? Thanks.

the only way you can be more confident than you are now is to try that size on before you buy them. Otherwise, just take your best guess and hope it works out. my feeling is that the grant is not for you if the 8D fits perfectly widthwise and is too short lengthwise, unless you can maybe snag a different width (I'm thinking 7.5E - it should have roughly the same width as an 8D).

Even then, the last might be all wrong.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Interesting because I am a
EG/RLPL UK10.5/US11 (nice roomy fit for my toes)
Tried my first pair of G&G in UK 10E and way snug! Sent them back for a 10.5
Lobb UK 10E in various lasts
Ferragamo almost always a 10.5
Mantelassi US 10.5

It appears that you and I enjoy a different fit in many of the same shoes.

That is strange, because i find that Mantelassi's in a sz US 11 runs a bit tight. I think my feet are a bit narrow so the UK sizing feels a bit more generous than there Italian counterparts.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the ashby on the 888 last in 7.5/8D. They are slightly longer than my other size 8 shoes, but much narrower. They do stretch out in width after sometime. I must say the breakin period took longer than I would have liked. I haven't had any problem with slight increase in length. I just bought the grants in the same size. I should probably wear a 7.5E, but you won't find that on sale at polo.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decision: wait a year until finish school, order 7.5Es in Dark Oak direct from EG after a fitting, feel guilty for spending double, drown guilt enthusiastically in a glass of expensive Scotch.

Thanks for all the advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads