• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hummer H3

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
dl, go try a Toyota FJ. I drove one, fun little vehicle and dirt cheap. Loaded up, around 33k.

Or if the plan is to use your next vehicle as a work horse for renovations, consider a pick up. Since you probably do not want something really huge, like a Titan or Tundra, look into a Taco or Frontier. Both have available engines that will give you good pick up and are very practical for hauling stuff.

Will definitely look into the Toyota FJ Piobaire. Pickup would be useful I suppose but wouldn't work out as a daily driver for me.

dl

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you prefer the styling of FJ and the H3, maybe you would also like the Jeep Commander.

Conrad

Reaction score
I'm not one to go talking about the impracticality of a vehicle, but when it comes down to it the H2 and H3 just don't make ANY sense.

If you want an H2, just buy a 4x4 3/4 ton Suburban- they're the same vehicle. The Suburban will bring back double the economy, has more cargo room, has more get up and go, cost $10,000 less, and doesn't scream "Douchebag"

If you want an H3, get an S-10 Blazer. Again, same vehicle but the blazer has all the same comparitive advantages over an H3 that the Suburban does over the H2.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Conrad
I'm not one to go talking about the impracticality of a vehicle, but when it comes down to it the H2 and H3 just don't make ANY sense.

If you want an H2, just buy a 4x4 3/4 ton Suburban- they're the same vehicle. The Suburban will bring back double the economy, has more cargo room, has more get up and go, cost $10,000 less, and doesn't scream "Douchebag"

If you want an H3, get an S-10 Blazer. Again, same vehicle but the blazer has all the same comparitive advantages over an H3 that the Suburban does over the H2.

You have a point.

dba

Reaction score
****, if you're gonna consider a suburban with only a wife and no kids, AND you're gonna haul drywall, may as well go whole hog for the Cadillac EXT...not that I would ever recommend a GM vehicle to anyone after owning one.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dba
****, if you're gonna consider a suburban with only a wife and no kids, AND you're gonna haul drywall, may as well go whole hog for the Cadillac EXT...not that I would ever recommend a GM vehicle to anyone after owning one.

Rent the Lowe's truck for that and ride an economy car. Better yet, hire a drywall crew. Drywall is very difficult to do right.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Rent the Lowe's truck for that and ride an economy car. Better yet, hire a drywall crew. Drywall is very difficult to do right.

This is an intelligent post.

How often do you need to haul major stuff? For occasional situations it is MUCH cheaper to rent some kind of POS and save your own vehicle.

For day to day, I would get a reliable, economical good driver. If you must have an American made SUV, I've been impressed with the Mercury Mountaineer--it's a pleasant enough vehicle.

Financier

Reaction score
If you want an H3, get an S-10 Blazer.

Dude, you realize that Chevy dropped the Blazer model about three years ago, don't you?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear the H2 is essentially a chevy tahoe with a monster body. I'm not dead set on the H3 and am still looking into some of the options you guys recommended. Hopefully this coming weekend I can go for a few more test rides.

dl

tlmusic

Reaction score
I almost forgot...a friend of mine designed the seats for the H3. We played in a rock band together back in the 90's.

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
I second the recs for the FJ Cruiser.
- Same "macho" look with retro styling cues from the old FJ series.
- Excellent offroad capabilites and pedigree
- Better gas mileage than the H3
- Starts dirt cheap (base models are ~$23k) yet doesn't feel too chintzy inside.
- Not very ubiquitous.
- Toyota build quality
- Great aftermarket support. Various superchargers to beef up the engine if you feel the power is lacking. Crazy steel bumpers available if you want to macho it out even further (with ARB/TJM bumpers, you can smash into a deer at 50+mph and have nary a scratch).

Only main negative I can think of is size. It's essentially a 2+2 suv with small suicide rear doors that are a pain ********** for passengers (pretty cramped backseat too).

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I checked out the Mountaineer and FJ cruiser this past weekend but neither really did it for me. Went to Hummer this morning and laid out what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. Basically for the price of a base model I got a black exterior, chrome hood vent, mirrors and door handles and 18in chrome wheels along with a roof rack and running boards with the same finish. Should look awesome when I pick it up later on this evening.

Thanks for the recs everybody,
DL

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Well, I checked out the Mountaineer and FJ cruiser this past weekend but neither really did it for me. Went to Hummer this morning and laid out what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. Basically for the price of a base model I got a black exterior, chrome hood vent, mirrors and door handles and 18in chrome wheels along with a roof rack and running boards with the same finish. Should look awesome when I pick it up later on this evening.

Thanks for the recs everybody,
DL

Congrats on your new purchase, I hope you really enjoy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads