• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you feel you are intelligent?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am smarter than some and dumber than others. I submit that there are those who will be smarter in certain things than I ever can or will be. At the same time, I tower above others in much the same manner. C'est la vie.

Jon.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
The results of this poll suggest that SF is very much like Lake Wobegon ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon_effect

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king ...

That's because knowing your way around a poem is more about wisdom than intelligence. Dumbass.
laugh.gif

The world is run by C students, eh?

As for myself, I am not running the world, so I'll count myself among the marginally above-average. The secret to my success? A small pond, baby ...

Try checking the leader of the 'free world'...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
At the same time, I tower above others in much the same manner.

In modesty no doubt.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Yet you don't recognize it in the infamous pink cashmere tie thread.
confused.gif

See, that was smart.

No matter how smart I may be, I am far from funny. My jokes are conversation killers.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
See, that was smart.

No matter how smart I may be, I am far from funny. My jokes are conversation killers.

I would respond, but I just...don't...feel...like...it.....

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did well in college while majoring in biology but taking a lot of upper-level humanity courses. I then went to medical school, finished my residency and now am still trying to establish a busy practice in San Francisco.

My wife? She barely graduated from high school - it was actually alternaive school - but got her diploma anyway. She then spent her 20's traveling around Asia and working as a divemaster or any other odd job she could get to fund her travels. After I met her, she got into wine imports and sales and is now making more money than I am. She drinks and sells great wines for a living with absolutely no student loans, no malpractice insurance, and many, many other perks.

Yes, I can kick her ass in Jeapordy and know how to put together a shattered ankle, but am I smarter than her? Hell no. But you guys can probably make that conclusion since I really don't have a point here. . .

SoSoCal

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

Always a slow learner, not quick witted and still screw up addition problems.

However, the creative side is out of this world as I started graphic design when i was a kid and continue to make Art school grads look bad. That and I seem to have a knack for people, I can detect the slightest difference in mood etc.

Most importantly, being an erudite reader has made me so well versed in so many things that I can detect patterns and trends years ahead of others.

Fulcannelli

Reaction score
you will always meet someone who will seem alot more intelligent, but then will amaze you by not knowing something simple....

I think you can only hold a certain amount of information in your mind, intelligence is all about pattern recognition and im sh1t at that so I guess im a fool.

"you can only fill a bucket up with so much sh1t" lol

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father was somehow "certified" to give and grade Wonderlic tests. For awhile he was testing everyone he knew. One day he pulled me aside and sort of whispered, "Um, Rube. I don't know how to tell you this, but your wife is... well, she's just not very smart."

I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
My father was somehow "certified" to give and grade Wonderlic tests. For awhile he was testing everyone he knew. One day he pulled me aside and sort of whispered, "Um, Rube. I don't know how to tell you this, but your wife is... well, she's just not very smart."

I'm still not sure how I feel about this.

Man, I don't know how you should feel about that either. Fucked up.

This is my theory on intelligence, however, and this should make you feel better. . .
I look at overall intelligence like a pie chart. You have book smarts, which can be divided into vocabulary, mathematics, memory, whatever. You also can have more abstract intelligence like creativity or be recreate flavors in your head just by thinking about them. Then you have an intelligence that is extremely important but often overlooked, and that's emotional intelligence.

This figurative pie chart is a finite quantity, but can vary to a degree in size among individuals. However, I think most of humanity's quantity/area of their charts are similar in size. How that pie is divided up varies, and to become intelligent in one area is to sacrifice in another.

Just my own metaphor. . .

Tuff Ghost

Reaction score
I am a simian mongoloid too overwhelmingly unintelligent to understand even the most basic concepts of human society.

fftfft

Reaction score
I consider myself average/above average. What I do always makes people assume some degree of intelligence, but in reality it is just a matter of perseverance/patience and basic logical thinking.

ccc123

Reaction score
To ugly for LA and to dumb for NYC - I guess I'm the right sized fish for the pond I swim in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads