• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leica cameras...worth the money??

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new digital camera and I really like the Leica C-Lux 2:

Leica C-Lux 2

I'm seeing this sell for aorund $400. Comparable cameras seem to sell for around $200. Is Leica really worth the extra cost or am I paying for the name?

And FYI I dont know much about digital cameras or photography. I just want a nice one that will last me a few years and wont become obsolete in a couple years.

Thanks.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the point-and-shoots, you are paying for the name. Panasonic makes some twin cameras with Leica -- same exact camera, same exact lens -- but 70% of the price.. check if they have the same as that model.

>>will last me a few years and wont become obsolete in a couple years

A camera can last you a few years but hoping for one that won't be obsolete in a few months is a fool's errand. Good luck!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Buy the Panasonic. Same innards, less the badge.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I was about to buy the panasonic that has the Leica lens but today I came across this:

Leica D-Lux 2

It's a refurb but it comes with a 90day manufacturer warranty. And per the seller, he bought it from Leica, who used it as a demo.
I guess I am a little bit of a brand whore!

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying extra for a Leica (name or lens, you pick) in a point-and-shoot setup is just dumb.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Paying extra for a Leica (name or lens, you pick) in a point-and-shoot setup is just dumb.

If you shoot in JPEG format, the Leicas supposedly use different processing algorithms than the Panasonic versions. At least, so I've been told by someone who has shot with both.

prima

Reaction score
it's really a waste of money to buy the leica over the equivalent panasonic for point and shoots. but if you really want to pay extra that's up to you. the leicas are definitely more aesthetically pleasing.

if you don't know much about photography or cameras (which it seems you do not) i would recommend against the d-lux as you won't get anything out of the extra features and having a lens cap that you have to manually remove on such a small camera is definitely a hassle. only get it if you really want to shoot raw.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panasonic makes some great P&S cameras and have received better reviews than the Leica cameras at half their price.

Digital cameras are at the point now which they have enough MP to last a lifetime if you print smaller than a poster, most have image stabilization, and the lens quality has dramatically increased. P&S cameras have also seen a large jump in start and response time as well as the quality of their internal processors. I don't see why a modern P&S wouldn't last you for a number of years.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Buy the Panasonic. Same innards, less the badge.

This is what I've been told in the past, and the exact reason why I didn't buy a Leica P&S when I was deciding on a camera to purchase.

That said, "el Guapo WOngO!" uses a Leica C-Lux 2. He says he does not post-process his pictures. In my opinion, his pictures rank amongst the top 3 in terms of clarity and color.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
This is what I've been told in the past, and the exact reason why I didn't buy a Leica P&S when I was deciding on a camera to purchase.

That said, "el Guapo WOngO!" uses a Leica C-Lux 2. He says he does not post-process his pictures. In my opinion, his pictures rank amongst the top 3 in terms of clarity and color.

I haven't read the article, but here is some info and a review of one vs the other:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicadigilux2/

Jon.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
This is what I've been told in the past, and the exact reason why I didn't buy a Leica P&S when I was deciding on a camera to purchase. That said, "el Guapo WOngO!" uses a Leica C-Lux 2. He says he does not post-process his pictures. In my opinion, his pictures rank amongst the top 3 in terms of clarity and color.
The result of shooting in bright daylight (with correct color temp on the camera) with a low ISO, not because it is a leica lens. Edit: I would be really surprised if it could not shoot RAW, it is more or less a default feature now.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for everyone's inputs. And yes I know nothing about photagraphy. But in the last few days, i have been browsing the leica forums, as well as other photagraphy forums, and its making me want to get into it.

And probably a really dumb question....what does shooting in RAW mean??

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
thanks for everyone's inputs. And yes I know nothing about photagraphy. But in the last few days, i have been browsing the leica forums, as well as other photagraphy forums, and its making me want to get into it.

And probably a really dumb question....what does shooting in RAW mean??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

teacha.gif
smile.gif

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads