• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a car for me.

bkk

Reaction score
I have no idea what the fuel efficiency is, but a Porsche 944 is cheap, small, and stylish.

Stay away from the Yaris, tC, Corolla, anything Toyota/Scion, Fit, RSX, Versa, Miata, or Z3/Z4 if you want to appear to have any masculinity. I'm not saying those cars (sans the Z) aren't practical and reliable, just not the types of cars you show off to your friends.

wt888

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They are not Ferraris, but driven at high speeds, they can be rather fun with that swing axle suspension and large amounts of chrome; some did have manual transmissions.

Agree, the manuals with the larger 8 cylinder engines can be fairly sporting.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
I have no idea what the fuel efficiency is, but a Porsche 944 is cheap, small, and stylish.

Despite being so old, I sort of really like those. Thanks for the recommendation.

Conrad

Reaction score
For your budget get a diesel Golf with a 5 speed. You'll probably even be able to get a 1.9 TDI and still have money left over.

You're looking at better economy than any of the hybrids, better performance in ALL respects, cheaper maintenance expenses (Oil and filter costs 1.5 times as much per change, but you change it half as often), and a car that can seat you, your 3 best friends, and your 4 "3 day duffel bags" for the road trip.

gustre

Reaction score
get a volkswagen rabbit (golf) v (depends on where you live). i have a golf myself and im quite content with the car. good engineer work.

bkk

Reaction score
From a performance standpoint, I think VW does great for the money. German engineering at a consumer price point. Although... VW isn't known for their reliability...

If you can save up and wait 'till the '09 models come out, VW announced last week all maitenance is free for 3 years on those models.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Stay away from the Yaris, tC, Corolla, anything Toyota/Scion, Fit, RSX, Versa, Miata, or Z3/Z4 if you want to appear to have any masculinity. I'm not saying those cars (sans the Z) aren't practical and reliable, just not the types of cars you show off to your friends.

This is pretty funny. How fucked is a society that produces people who buy cars to impress friends?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
This is pretty funny. How fucked is a society that produces people who buy cars to impress friends?
Dunno. This is what cars should be about....I wrote it, didn't just steal it unattributed from the InterWebz

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

++

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
That's decent? There are large SUV's with better fuel economy. I also don't understand Prius, since there are many non-hybrid cars with similar mileage. Isn't diesel available in the US or what's the deal?

I wish I owned a car that got even 25mpg.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
That's decent? There are large SUV's with better fuel economy. I also don't understand Prius, since there are many non-hybrid cars with similar mileage. Isn't diesel available in the US or what's the deal?

Originally Posted by wt888
For $25-30k you can get a Ferrari 308 GTS. Zero depreciation and you might even make a few $$ when you sell.

Make sure you're good with a wrench if you buy a 308. Those cars are <$30k for a reason... they're maintenance nightmares.

bkk

Reaction score

It was meant to be funny. I'll put a smiley at the end of my funny posts next time to follow netiquette. Or I'll change it to be literal: Those cars are ugly as hell and should not be viewed as stylish.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Dunno. This is what cars should be about....I wrote it, didn't just steal it unattributed from the InterWebz

I was more concerned with the definition of friend, or the suggestion of a definition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads