• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser Known Japanese Denim Brands

morse9443

Reaction score
I was digging around the take 5 site and noticing several denim brands that I rarely see discussed. Everyone talks ad nauseum about Samurai, Eternal, SDA, etc., but what about brands like Engine, Tedman, Momotaro? Do the cuts suck? Inferior denim quality? Or are some of them sleepers?

sandy

Reaction score
Havent heard of these..But there is another brand 'Kato'. It seems interesting. The dyeing process they use for denim is very comprehensive

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is some decent information on Momotaro over on superfuture, can't say I've ever heard of the rest.

bici

Reaction score
i have a pair of momotaros and love them!

morse9443

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bici
i have a pair of momotaros and love them!

What's so great about them? Cut? Detailing? Denim? How would you compare them with the more popular brands? Pics? Enough questions?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

morse9443

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jingco
There are nice premium denim brands in China too. Shame that Chinese brands haven't caught on. Forgot the names though...

Chinese designer denim? Yea, it's all over ebay. It's called knockoff.
tounge.gif

jingco

Reaction score
That's the attitude towards Chinese brands, that's what I thought too before I made my trip last month. But they got some high end stuff at the clothing show I went to. $150-$200US jeans, and they were good, serious.

Don't know how peeps there can afford it but they got a lot of millionaires there.

Originally Posted by morse9443
Chinese designer denim? Yea, it's all over ebay. It's called knockoff.
tounge.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are nice premium denim brands in China too. Shame that Chinese brands haven't caught on. Forgot the names though...

Did you, JINgCO?

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Don't know how peeps there can afford it but they got a lot of millionaires there.

I'm assuming they can afford it because, you know, they're millionaires.

morse9443

Reaction score
HAHA! You know I've never tried on a pair of JNCO jeans before...

No. I did not know that you had never ever before, in your entire life, tried on a pair of JNCO jeans.

Oh!Saka!

Reaction score
Obelisk is another Japanese denim brand that makes some amazing-looking jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads