• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on "Steampunk" fashion

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
A friend of mine used to talk about steampunk to me a bit and i'm surprised i never associated it with cotton. Makes sense now that i put it all together.

I hope it keeps going more like some of the people in the article and cotton and less like those old fat former goths like in that pic here.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i'm surprised i never associated it with cotton. Makes sense now that i put it all together.

+1. Woops.

Cotton looks cool partially because he incorporates other things and makes it his own--the (visvim?) chucks, for instance, and denim, make it less "tut tut" and more lived in. Careful yer subbacultcha doesn't get subsumed by a nerdculture!

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never realized what cotton's style was called...
I really like it though more and more overtime, he does everything perfect...

Cotton Duck

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'd really rather not call my style as a whole "steampunk", it's just one of the many influences I try to incorporate to make something that becomes an overall intersting look...

and the chucks are just chucks btw, nothing fancy.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Oh yea, my friend's buddies who are into it do it more as costume type stuff and less lived in casual looks. You take influences from that, workwear, americana , and a bunch others, which is probably why i never was able to make the steampunk connection on my own.

I do like how in the article people are taking the steampunk thing further than clothing and actually building things. Kinda fun.

naaaaate

Reaction score
Cotton those outfits feel a wee bit close to being ridiculous/costumey but that doesn't stop me from liking them a whole lot and you pull it off awesome, though I get a lot more of a gold-rush vibe than a steam-punk one. The backpack with the bedroll made me laugh in a "that's awesome!" way. I never read superfuture so I'd never seen any of those before and you should definitely post here more often.

tangerine

Reaction score
I never thought of your style as steampunk, CD, but in this context I do see some connexions (using steampunk spelling.)

I usually associate steampunk with something like Mad Max, with an emphasis on black, grimy clothing that looks like it is worn while shoveling coal into a boiler.

In my conception, steampunk is closer to crustpunk than Victoriana, but maybe that is just my tendency to think of punk as the operative milieu.

Cotton Duck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I do like how in the article people are taking the steampunk thing further than clothing and actually building things. Kinda fun.
One of the things that has been getting quite some attention on the internets are people who have been making steampunk inspired stuff, mostly casemods, keyboards and ipod holders though....

Originally Posted by naaaaate
Cotton those outfits feel a wee bit close to being ridiculous/costumey but that doesn't stop me from liking them a whole lot and you pull it off awesome, though I get a lot more of a gold-rush vibe than a steam-punk one. The backpack with the bedroll made me laugh in a "that's awesome!" way. I never read superfuture so I'd never seen any of those before and you should definitely post here more often.
I see where you're coming from and that's also what I meant when I said that it might be a bit much to see all those looks together, and I understand that people could consider it costumey, that's fine by me, though I've never had anyone say anything about it to me in my face, but who knows what people on the streets say behind our backs right?
If only we cared...

The "bedroll" on my pack holds my tripod, I'm not just doing things for looks...

Originally Posted by tangerine
I never thought of your style as steampunk, CD, but in this context I do see some connexions (using steampunk spelling.)

I usually associate steampunk with something like Mad Max, with an emphasis on black, grimy clothing that looks like it is worn while shoveling coal into a boiler.

In my conception, steampunk is closer to crustpunk than Victoriana, but maybe that is just my tendency to think of punk as the operative milieu.

I think how you envisioned it is closer to what is called "dieselpunk" (it's grimier and less about "victorian principles/teaparties/blabla", think skies darked with exume clouds, complete disregard for fossil fuel, massive machines on the horizon, more dystopian). another thing is that alot of these people seem more interested in the victorian part, so if they were to fly in an airship, they'd be the passengers, holding high conversation over tea and wearing eyeglasses and tophats, I guess I'm more interested in the people piloting and operating that same airship, shoveling coal...

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cotton Duck

I see where you're coming from and that's also what I meant when I said that it might be a bit much to see all those looks together, and I understand that people could consider it costumey, that's fine by me, though I've never had anyone say anything about it to me in my face, but who knows what people on the streets say behind our backs right?
If only we cared...

The "bedroll" on my pack holds my tripod, I'm not just doing things for looks...

I just realized my post might have seemed like a back-handed compliment so I want to emphasize that I really like your style, I just said the thing about it being close to costumey kind of to say you verged on being costumey but pulled it off which is a tough feat to do. I'm a huge fan of old-Americana or whatever you call it type stuff, I should have phrased it better that you look dope.

Also I'm disappointed it's not actually a bedroll but it still looks great
laugh.gif

Cotton Duck

Reaction score
Abney Park, a goth band that has reinvented itself as steampunk,....”. “It’s elegant and beautiful.”
Whatever that might be???

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics