• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stays

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
So no more collar stays. Is this like the SF equivalent of bra burning?

I can't use collar stays anymore because my shirts were made without a place to put them. Like you, I think the resulting roll is nice. But I imagine this depends greatly on the kind of collar you're working with.

Maybe you're just embracing your inner Italian.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I probably shouldn't bother, but if I took the task of replacing teh collar stays in my shirts after ironing away from my wife, she would probably feel like her life had lost a bit of meaning.

Your wife likes to iron? How'd you pull that one off?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Your wife likes to iron? How'd you pull that one off?

It isn't about whether she likes to iron, it is about whether I have convinced myself that she likes to iron. You are not yet married, but when you are, you will find that this is a pretty neat trick.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
...... I felt self conscience all day until I got back and put stays in immediately.

Much better now.... I have reached peace and tranquility.

Cordovan

I agree, the last thing I do as I leave is put in stays, drives me nuts without them, on shirts I want a stiffer collar, I use MOP stays, more casual shirts, floppy softer stays. I hate it when a collar starts to roll on a hot humid day.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It isn't about whether she likes to iron, it is about whether I have convinced myself that she likes to iron. You are not yet married, but when you are, you will find that this is a pretty neat trick.

You mean, "it's not a lie if you believe it?" Seinfeld taught us so much.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
I agree, the last thing I do as I leave is put in stays, drives me nuts without them, on shirts I want a stiffer collar, I use MOP stays, more casual shirts, floppy softer stays. I hate it when a collar starts to roll on a hot humid day.

I agree - with a tie and more 'put together' look I always wear stiffer stays.

Cordovan

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think my wife worked this one on me in reverse.
eh.gif
In all fairness, she does most of the laundry, so I'm left to iron...

Cordovan

Reaction score
Wow - free ironing and laundry! I really must get married one of these days.

Cordovan

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I stopped using stays 99% of the time when I gave up commercial laundering of my shirts. Nearly all of my dress shirts are RTW from Barba, Borrelli or Kiton. All use fusing in the collar, but it is a light, high quality fusing. When the collars are hot from ironing, I find that I can easily shape them and they will keep that shape throughout the day.

I might be fussier with an unfused collar...all my old English shirts had unfused collars, and they always needed stays.

I don't presume to extrapolate generally from this.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can't use collar stays anymore because my shirts were made without a place to put them. Like you, I think the resulting roll is nice. But I imagine this depends greatly on the kind of collar you're working with.

Maybe you're just embracing your inner Italian.

I think your collars have roughly the same spread/angle and point length as mine. Actually, one of your posts partially inspired this, when you wrote that Matuazzo frowned at you when you asked about stays. I figured, if our collars are close to the same shape, and she thinks his don't need stays, what the hell.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First the points get longer. Then we forget the stays. Then we decide we don't need the stays. Soon we are competing to have the biggest, floppiest collars. I can see where this is headed. Next, to better display how big and floppy they are. we start wearing our collars outside our lapel. I see where you guys are taking us.
fing02[1].gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
First the points get longer. Then we forget the stays. Then we decide we don't need the stays. Soon we are competing to have the biggest, floppiest collars. I can see where this is headed. Next, to better display how big and floppy they are. we start wearing our collars outside our lapel. I see where you guys are taking us.
Here is a sneak preview:

340x.jpg

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't been using them for several years - I like the way the collar rolls without them. I do have a couple of shirts that tend to curl without stays though, so I use plastic ones in those.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have stopped wearing them.

First, I forgot them on a trip. The shirt seemed fine without them. Later, I deliberately did not wear them to an occasion that was somewhat informal. I liked the way my collar naturally rolled.

Interesting. On my Hamilton shirts (unlike my Chan shirts), the stays are positioned in a way that gives the collar a bit of arch. I like this effect.

This picture, a refugee from the blue contest, gives a sense:

bluecontest2yj8.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean, "it's not a lie if you believe it?" Seinfeld taught us so much.

I think the appropriate quote is 'I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin it'.

If we give up on stays, who will wear them? We're not doing this for ourselves, we're doing it for the children. This isn't Vietnam. This is clothing. There are rules.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads