• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stays

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have stopped wearing them.

First, I forgot them on a trip. The shirt seemed fine without them. Later, I deliberately did not wear them to an occasion that was somewhat informal. I liked the way my collar naturally rolled. Then, taking a huge risk (JKB, are you listening?) I wore a white shirt without stays to an important business meeting. The meeting was a success.

So no more collar stays. Is this like the SF equivalent of bra burning?

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

First, I forgot them on a trip. The shirt seemed fine without them. Later, I deliberately did not wear them to an occasion that was somewhat informal. I liked the way my collar naturally rolled. Then, taking a huge risk (JKB, are you listening?) I wore a white shirt without stays to an important business meeting. The meeting was a success.

So no more collar stays. Is this like the SF equivalent of bra burning?

Interestingly, I forgot mine this morning. I should not admit this, but was wearing the shirt sans tie. I felt self conscience all day until I got back and put stays in immediately.

Much better now.... I have reached peace and tranquility.

Cordovan

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my collar stays fell-out of my shirt during washing, and I didn't notice until I'd worn the shirt and was ready to wash it again. Strangely enough, no one else seem to notice either...
tounge.gif
Honestly, I think it probably depends on the stiffness of the collar material. Some shirts have relatively stiff collars, where a collar stay probably is superfluous. Other collars are a little more flaccid. If it doesn't bother you to have slightly flaccid collars (and I suspect 99.999% of the public wouldn't notice), then more power to you.

Gipper40

Reaction score
depending on the spread of the collar, you can indeed get away with it. Actually, it's an extra step in the morning--and honestly, how many times did you forget the damn stays once you have donnedyour tie and jacket. i'll also lay down a bet that there's a huge warehouse co-op , owned by the world's dry cleaners, filled with brass stays. My cleaners never ever fess up.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of, what's a good online place to buy like 50-100 GOOD collar stays?

Max Inseam

Reaction score
I think it depends on the shirt collar and the weather. In the middle of a hot muggy summer in DC, an unstarched collar without a collar stay has a tendency to curl. Or so I've convinced myself the few times I've forgotten to put in a stay -- is it my imagination?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this like the SF equivalent of bra burning?
More like iammatt hostage syndrome.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gipper40
depending on the spread of the collar, you can indeed get away with it. Actually, it's an extra step in the morning--and honestly, how many times did you forget the damn stays once you have donnedyour tie and jacket. i'll also lay down a bet that there's a huge warehouse co-op , owned by the world's dry cleaners, filled with brass stays. My cleaners never ever fess up.

Ha! I wonder if there's a market for brass stays? Melt them down to make...???

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
More like iammatt hostage syndrome.

No, he wears them!

BTW, I believe this is the first time you have trolled me since I have been back. It finally feels like home again.
inlove.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
Interestingly, I forgot mine this morning. I should not admit this, but was wearing the shirt sans tie. I felt self conscience all day until I got back and put stays in immediately.

Much better now.... I have reached peace and tranquility.

Cordovan

You wear collar stays when you are wearing your shirt open collared without a tie? People actually do that?
confused.gif

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too have recently (within the last month) begun eschewing my collar stays. It started when one started poking through its pocket and I thought, "That's enough!"

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I forgot them on a trip. The shirt seemed fine without them. Later, I deliberately did not wear them to an occasion that was somewhat informal. I liked the way my collar naturally rolled.

What next???

"First, the weather was a little hot. The shirt seemed fine without the tie and with the top two buttons unbuttoned. Later, I deliberately tried a Tom Ford, and 'Voilà !' the hotties did double takes and my wife clung to me?????"

devil.gif

- M

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear them, but mine are very floppy and my shirt interlinings very soft. I probably shouldn't bother, but if I took the task of replacing teh collar stays in my shirts after ironing away from my wife, she would probably feel like her life had lost a bit of meaning.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think it's easier for me to get by without them because my collars are more spread. Even without the stays, the points always remain in contact with the shirt body. I don't know if it would work so well with a more closed point collar.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads