• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
May 2008? I can offer the advice to not take your advice, sorry.

Sorry I can't backdate my arrival on the forum but that doesn't mean I don't have some sense about fashion. Rope/macrame belts = ridiculous.

gmku

Reaction score
Haha, I just saw what he said about the Steve Maddens 2 seconds ago and was going to come back and flame. I'm normally so calm that flaming would be out of the question but I feel fiesty today. I'm about to drink my from concentrate OJ.
Ha ha ha. Asshole. (I'm about to drink my Flying Dog Double Dog double pale ale.)

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From reading some of your other posts I kind of got the idea that you didn't have much sense about anything. You were wrong about the belt and the shoes. Keep wearing your Calvin Klein tees, though, and maybe Eason will be your waiter at the gay bar.

gmku

Reaction score
You know, I wandered on here because, as I said, I have a renewed interest in casual wear. I admit I don't know everything about it, and I don't pretend to. I also have to say that I work within a more limited budget than most of you, I'm sure. I'm not independently wealthy, and I'm not a corporate exec--I'm a lowly freelance writer. But the attitude around here towards anyone trying to make the best of what he can is absurd, and not the least hurtful. There's nothing wrong with CK T-shirts, or anything else I wear, just because it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. In fact, I think it takes more imagination and style to make something cheap work. I can take a 4 buck shirt from Wal-Mart and make it look good in the right combination.

But you know, whatever. I understand that obsession can lead to feelings of superiority and snobbishness about whatever your chosen object of obsession is. I don't really hold it against you. At the same time, I'd expect a little respect for my choices--and for my opinions--in kind.

But I don't want to do this to the thread. If you have anything else to say to me in this vein, just PM me. Thanks.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Soaking is typically done with unsanforized denim - that is, it hasn't been treated in the factory to prevent shrinking. What soaking will do, is get the shrinking out of the way. Many Japanese repros are unsanforized, thus requiring a soak before you wear them.

Most jeans you will encounter have been sanforized, and will not require a soak. Sometimes these jeans, like any cotton products, will shrink slightly in the wash - usually a little bit in the inseam. Some people choose to soak their sanforized jeans to account for the inseam shrinkage (especially if they will be hemming). That being said, I find soaking sanforized jeans mostly superfluous.
If you are purchasing KMW 1980, which had been recommended to you, you will not have to soak.

thank you for the info.
what about raw PRPS jeans? they are made in japan . i just got a pair off ebay

Studio27

Reaction score
The only expensive piece of clothing many of the posters here wear are jeans. Even so, there are a lot of good non-stealth-wealthy outfits around. Something like standard AA/uniqlo jeans or khakis/chucks or purcells would set someone back a hair over $100 for an outfit with a little scoping. I'm not advocating the sf-uniform, but I don't feel like thinking and this is simple/easy/cheap. Check out the dress for $150 / day thread, it was rather interesting. Let's stay away from the personal attacks, however. It's all well and good if we say Eason bartends a gay bar because we all know him well enough (at least in a sense) to poke fun at him. Imo it's common courtesy not to make jabs at someone new in that vein. I can see how xchen got defensive, however, as calling the recommendation silly and the only advice is to not go with them was pretty close minded. The belts aren't my particular cuppa but I can see how they'd work with a full-on nautical theme. Let's all kiss and make up. Drama over belts and shoes is pretty silly. Oh, and sorry, but I think the steve maddens are pretty ugly.
frown.gif

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
thank you for the info. what about raw PRPS jeans? they are made in japan . i just got a pair off ebay
poly has some with pretty sick wear iirc. I think they're in the evo thread here and if not, I'd bet they're on the sufu one. DB also has prps if you need to know if they're sanforized or whatnot, that's probably a good source.

gmku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
The only expensive piece of clothing many of the posters here wear are jeans. Even so, there are a lot of good non-stealth-wealthy outfits around. Something like standard AA/uniqlo jeans or khakis/chucks or purcells would set someone back a hair over $100 for an outfit with a little scoping. I'm not advocating the sf-uniform, but I don't feel like thinking and this is simple/easy/cheap. Check out the dress for $150 / day thread, it was rather interesting.

Let's stay away from the personal attacks, however. It's all well and good if we say Eason bartends a gay bar because we all know him well enough (at least in a sense) to poke fun at him. Imo it's common courtesy not to make jabs at someone new in that vein. I can see how xchen got defensive, however, as calling the recommendation silly and the only advice is to not go with them was pretty close minded. The belts aren't my particular cuppa but I can see how they'd work with a full-on nautical theme.

Let's all kiss and make up. Drama over belts and shoes is pretty silly. Oh, and sorry, but I think the steve maddens are pretty ugly.
frown.gif

Appreciate it. Apologies to everyone if my tone has offended. I can get a little lazy and resort to the quick knee jerk reaction (e.g., "silly," and so on). I'm all for kiss-and-make-up time, and yeh, I'm not a Madden guy myself. (I've actually got a hankering for some classic Clarks boots right now.)

Peace.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to conduct trades? I have bought and sold numerous times on this forum and others. However, I have never just done a straight trade of one article for another. Someone has offered to trade their jeans for mine and I'd like to do it, but am just a little nervous. Is this just done in good faith, or is there some protection method I am unaware of?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Just done in good faith. Make sure to ask him for references and actually contact those members if you're still in doubt.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dress belts - what do you guys wear when you need to dress up a bit for a belt, even for work lets say...

i need a brown and a black belt, I currently no longer like either of my belts from the gap, (one is too long, one is too wide)...

What do we have for lets say under $75???

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
dress belts - what do you guys wear when you need to dress up a bit for a belt, even for work lets say...

i need a brown and a black belt, I currently no longer like either of my belts from the gap, (one is too long, one is too wide)...

What do we have for lets say under $75???

Ralph Lauren or Allen Edmonds basic dress belts on ebay for $40-50 are a good value. I've also found J.Crew's dress belts to be comparable in quality for around the same price.

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-first post-

hey, what would be the best kind of converse all star-esque shoe to get for use with jeans? i mean, should i get regular $40 chucks, get something like john varvatos chucks, or get like, another brand's imitation.... PF Flyers, Diesel, etc?

also, what do you think would be the best color?

i'm aiming for a look similiar to this:

_DSC0230_detail.jpg

here are some john varvatos:

11KS13IhwkL._AA160_.jpg

and some diesel converse imitations:

440987608S_lar1_2.jpg

PF Flyer:

7769-536593-d.jpg

thanks for the assistance.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
From reading some of your other posts I kind of got the idea that you didn't have much sense about anything. You were wrong about the belt and the shoes. Keep wearing your Calvin Klein tees, though, and maybe Eason will be your waiter at the gay bar.

That was uncalled for, Quasimodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads