• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Burger Ever!

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok - I just announced to my family that we will be making a trip to The Counter on Sunday
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

The Fitness Grill in Brea makes an awesome, but slightly gamey, ostrich burger.

Now, my question is, who makes the best turkey burgers?

Jenaimarr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
Hmmn. I wonder if the American version of Kobe tastes different? Different grass feed? Haven't tried American, but there is a distinct difference of taste in the fat of Japanese Kobe vs regular black Angus.

I hope the Vegas restaurant wasn't cheating either, and just overpricing something regular to unsuspecting patrons. That would be most annoying.

Having tried both american wagyu and japanese kobe (albeit different preparations, american wagyu steak, kobe sashimi), they looked sorta different pre-prep. More marbeling in the kobe vs american... but I'm not sure if that was just because of the particular piece i had. I guess the ultimate test would be a side by side sashimi comparison between the two (although I've never heard of a japanese restaurant using american wagyu since their distributor is usually japan-based).

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jenaimarr
Having tried both american wagyu and japanese kobe (albeit different preparations, american wagyu steak, kobe sashimi), they looked sorta different pre-prep. More marbeling in the kobe vs american... but I'm not sure if that was just because of the particular piece i had. I guess the ultimate test would be a side by side sashimi comparison between the two (although I've never heard of a japanese restaurant using american wagyu since their distributor is usually japan-based).

Maybe we can spot ourselves a stint as guest judges on "Iron Chef" ?! They had an episode a season or two ago featuring Kobe - and it must have been Nirvana for the judges. If they do a sequel - we could certainly enjoy the sampling of differences?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ground imported Kobe beef, char-broiled with peameal bacon on top and a nice slice of goose Foie Gras with a dollop of Tarragon Sabayon. Finished with a few shavings of White Truffle from Alba.

Deadly, and worth it.

Hubert Keller's Rossini burger?

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Hubert Keller's Rossini burger?

Yes, quite right - I forgot the chef's name and I think you got it. I remember it was someplace in St. Louis, and it was paired with an incredible Petrus.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, quite right - I forgot the chef's name and I think you got it. I remember it was someplace in St. Louis, and it was paired with an incredible Petrus.

Yep, chef & DJ from Fleur de Lys in San Francisco. The Rossini burger with Petrus pairing was his little touch for his The Burger Bar in Vegas. Fleur de Lys... nice place with good food, but creepy to know they have cameras over each table to help the staff know where diners are in their courses.

thetieguy

Reaction score
Nothing beats a good burger. I find it amazing how such a simple meal can be screwed up by so many places.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Re: American Kobe, I've had burgers from this that were great and really made the price difference seem worth it, and others that were totally bland. Wagyu has never impressed me. I had in London recently, and it was flat.

I've never had a true Japanese Kobe burger, and that sounds like a really horrible waste of expensive beef.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I've never had a true Japanese Kobe burger, and that sounds like a really horrible waste of expensive beef.

Completely agree. Not to mention that I cannot imagine I would be able to move or do anything after eating a piece of Kobe beef if it's sized like a normal patty. Every time I'm in Kobe, my in-laws take us to have Kobe beef on the teppan, and although I find that delicious, I feel like I ate a pound of butter when I leave the table

hangten

Reaction score
Yeah ground Kobe sounds like a waste! I think the American version of Kobe beef is called Wangyu beef. At least that is what they told me at the Saloon Steakhouse here in Chicago. They are supposedly cows from the Kobe prefecture raised in America.

As far as burgers in Chicago, my favs are:

Fast food burger: Culver's butter burgers
Cheap burgers: Billy Goat's triple cheeseburger
Fancy burgers: I will second, Kuma's with their pretzel buns

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My all-time favorite burger is the Bob Burger at Bob Dobb's in Tucson.

It's a neighborhood hangout near campus where they mix garlic, worcestershire sauce and I don't know what other spices into the meat to give it a great flavor.

The best I've found in Phoenix is the Bleu Cheese Burger at Fox Sports Grill.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
My all-time favorite burger is the Bob Burger at Bob Dobb's in Tucson.

It's a neighborhood hangout near campus where they mix garlic, worcestershire sauce and I don't know what other spices into the meat to give it a great flavor.

The best I've found in Phoenix is the Bleu Cheese Burger at Fox Sports Grill.

What about the Chuckbox!
drool.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
I think the American version of Kobe beef is called Wangyu beef.

Just looked this up. Wagyu is apparently the breed of cattle. It originated in Kobe, and Wagyu from there is properly called Kobe beef. American Kobe is just another name for beef from Wagyu cattle raised in the US.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
What about the Chuckbox!
drool.gif

Good call - I forgot about the Chuckbox. In fact, I may have to go there for lunch today now!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Just looked this up. Wagyu is apparently the breed of cattle. It originated in Kobe, and Wagyu from there is properly called Kobe beef. American Kobe is just another name for beef from Wagyu cattle raised in the US.

Yep. But the breed of the cow is just one element in getting to a great Kobe beef. What the cows are fed and how they're raised are important factors. I've had Wagyu beef in the US a few times and, although it was very good, I found that completely different from what I ate in Kobe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads