• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going TIE-less, is there a stigma against this on SF?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
i think it's a great look and proper for many non-formal business occasions. I only wear a tie if the occassion calls for it, and nowadays, not many do. I actually prefer a suit and pocket square without a tie for the less formal business or night on the town look. With a slim fit suit, even better.
+1

Originally Posted by slycedbred
if there is a rule that says u cant wear a jacket sans-tie, it's a stupid rule...
+1

Originally Posted by Flambeur
ok, so far so good, after seeing a lot of pictures on here, very few are sans tie, so I was getting worried for a second since it's my go-to look for going out and relaxing..
+ I hope i was included

Originally Posted by robin
Most men do the tie-less look poorly.
+1

I think the shirt also makes a difference, usually the ones that do it wrong have the shirt collar not standing proud or worse spreading the shirt collar over their jacket lapel. This is a common look with the NRL (rugby league players) personalities here n Australia.

L1000192.jpg

(I purposely did not iron my shirt this as I was off to a company planning off-site, where there shirt sleeves where to be rolled up
devil.gif
)
L1030174.jpg

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with the tieless jacket look IMO, as long as it looks good. But this goes for anything really.

I often do this look with kakki suits in spring/summer/fall myself.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like it. I prefer to wear a more casual collar and casual tie to tone things down. With a sportcoat, it is OK, but I still usually wear a tie.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Never with a suit, sometimes with a jacket.

Though now that I have accepted the knit, I will generally wear one of those one occasions when formerly I would have gone tieless.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's fine with odd jackets and trousers and this often what I wear. I tend to prefer a tie with a suit.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the tie-less look with SC and nice dress pants. However, since I have way more suits than SC, I go with the tie-less look with my suits too. Although I prefer to wear tie whenever I wear a suit, but it just makes me stand out in a business casual office environment I work at, even from my boss, and I don't want that.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like several others here, it would seem, this is my standard look for work (where a tie is considered over-dressing, other than for meeting our more formal clients).

For some reason, I always retain a nagging feeling that the tie is missing if wearing a light coloured shirt, whereas a darker coloured shirt looks visually complete without one. Anyone else share this odd inuition?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I can manage with little difficulty to come up with a tieless combination, even with suits, that will draw compliments.

But then, when I look in the mirror, in pretty much every case, that combination can be improved with a tie, and I do.

For me, the formality/informality axis is not dominated by whether one does or does not wear a tie. It is the easiest dichotomy to exploit, but there are others, particularly using materials, the cut of the clothes, and other aspects instead of losing the tie.

An example, from an earlier WAYWRN post of mine:

281250852_Dns2z-L.jpg

You might disagree with me, but I will tell you from experience that this jacket (by Attolini for Barbera) without a tie looks quite good. One reason is that it shows little linen.

But with a tie, it looks better. Because the rest of the combination and the material of the jacket is cotton, the tie does not amp up the formality level that much.

In general, I find it more fun to come up with casual wear with a tie than to be more generically tieless. Not that I wear a tie all the time with tailored clothes, but as time has passed, I go tieless far less than, say, ten years ago, with tailored clothing.

It is almost the opposite of the adage about female jewelry where women are advised to remove one item at the end of assembling an outfit: things almost always improve, in my opinion, when a man adds a tie to a jacket or suit.

Of course, if you cannot change what you are wearing and are transitioning from one part of the day to another, it is a different matter.

- B

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont see anything trashy about it. it can be pulled of with class. i personally prefer wearng ties no matter what. a couple of days ago i went bowling with a shirt, tie, and v-neck. tonight im going to the movies with a blazer, shirt and tie. i still feel casual because i have jeans and loafers on. people have their different ideas of casual.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Conrad

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing you need to pay attention to, which has been mentioned, is the way the shirt collar falls. If it's all rolled over or excessively spread and tucked under the lapel it just looks like absolute crap.

I often do the sport coat and button down sans a tie, and went so far as to add a snap button to one of my shirts. Even though it was a button down, the collar liked to flop over. I added the snap between the top button and the second button so it better holds the collar and top part of the shirt in place giving a more "put together", but still casual look.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
collar spread over the lapel deserves a thread of it's own - HORRIBLE.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I can manage with little difficulty to come up with a tieless combination, even with suits, that will draw compliments.

But then, when I look in the mirror, in pretty much every case, that combination can be improved with a tie, and I do.

For me, the formality/informality axis is not dominated by whether one does or does not wear a tie. It is the easiest dichotomy to exploit, but there are others, particularly using materials, the cut of the clothes, and other aspects instead of losing the tie.

An example, from an earlier WAYWRN post of mine:

281250852_Dns2z-L.jpg

You might disagree with me, but I will tell you from experience that this jacket (by Attolini for Barbera) without a tie looks quite good. One reason is that it shows little linen.

But with a tie, it looks better. Because the rest of the combination and the material of the jacket is cotton, the tie does not amp up the formality level that much.

In general, I find it more fun to come up with casual wear with a tie than to be more generically tieless. Not that I wear a tie all the time with tailored clothes, but as time has passed, I go tieless far less than, say, ten years ago, with tailored clothing.

It is almost the opposite of the adage about female jewelry where women are advised to remove one item at the end of assembling an outfit: things almost always improve, in my opinion, when a man adds a tie to a jacket or suit.

Of course, if you cannot change what you are wearing and are transitioning from one part of the day to another, it is a different matter.

- B

I like that outfit, although the shoes just look wrong to me, and I do think it would look very niec without the tie..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we just touched upon the only thing I think doesn't work: a db jacket/suit without a tie

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think we just touched upon the only thing I think doesn't work: a db jacket/suit without a tie

I see '30s illustrations and pictures of it that I think look good, but somehow it never seems to work out in real life.

Though two years ago I went on what was supposed to be an overnight trip, taking only one suit -- a DB -- and one tie. The trip stretched out another day, and on the train home, I did not wear the tie. I felt like a boulevardier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads