• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes With Character

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
church's brown shell:

dsc04836.jpg

nicely aged Alden 911s I have. They have wax stains, rain stains, etc.

alden911.jpg

The Alden 911s does not appear to have much creasing at all. I don't own any Alden in calf. Is Alden calf of such high quality?

Gherkins

Reaction score
These are my "daily beaters".
stock EG Beaulieu, dark oak. I think they are holding up pretty well. Compared to the Aldens I posted a while earlier, the EG's leather seems to get even nicer. The Alden's cordovan has changed it's colour quite considerably around the toebox in a not too pleasant way, whereas the EG's calf has developed some kind of patina while staying true to it's original colour.

egbeaulieudrkoak606me8.jpg

Bsquared

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
The Alden 911s does not appear to have much creasing at all. I don't own any Alden in calf. Is Alden calf of such high quality?

Is that the burnished tan? The look is so much more impressive than in the web pictures. How does the Hampton last fit compared to the Barrie?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gherkins
These are my "daily beaters".
stock EG Beaulieu, dark oak. I think they are holding up pretty well. Compared to the Aldens I posted a while earlier, the EG's leather seems to get even nicer. The Alden's cordovan has changed it's colour quite considerably around the toebox in a not too pleasant way, whereas the EG's calf has developed some kind of patina while staying true to it's original colour.

egbeaulieudrkoak606me8.jpg

Nice beaters!

My darker brown shoes shoes have developed a "patina", mostly due to me adding a dab of black polish to the toe & sometimes heel from time to time
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The darkened toe might maybe too much for me.
blush.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
The darkened toe would maybe be too much for me.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by dopey
+1
I don't mind some of EGs messy antiquing and caking on the sides but the burnishing on the toe is too much for me - at least in the lighter colors.

+2 a bit too much for me too - too santoni for my liking

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing with this color shoe is that the color perception varies almost widly depending on light. Probably why the OP photo'd them on a windowsill in direct sunlight.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As pointed out by fritzl, the reason why I need toe plates:

Green011.jpg

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting shot bigbris1, I have the same problem with my AE Mora monkstraps: the very tip of the toe has worn off significantly in just 4 months of regular use. I haven't had this problem with any other of my shoes (different makers) with equal or more wear. I suppose I should find a cobbler to put some toe taps in...

imainish

Reaction score

Ferragamo monks (Studio line) on the right. The monks must be ten years old and I finally had them resoled by Nick at B. Nelson. I went with the JR package and am very impressed. They took the shoes from the rubber soled Studio level to the handmade Tramezza level or better.

fusherino

Reaction score
do these shoes count or should i just be banned from the forum for neglect?
DSC00632.jpg
a little better i think
DSC00624.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, Fusherino. Definite no on the ban
smile.gif
I'd like to see what your shoe stretchers look like, they dont seem to be filling the shoes. Thanks for the pics of the Stanton BTW, I just pulled the trigger.

Josef Seibel

Reaction score
smile.gif
nice elongated last, the chestnut goes with nearly everything, so the westbourne´s are one of my favorites.....

142950um6.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads