• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$1749 LP (legally sheared
laugh.gif
) Vicuna scarf

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LORO-PIANA-V...QQcmdZViewItem

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
$1749 LP (legally sheared
laugh.gif
) Vicuna scarf

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LORO-PIANA-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Great news for you EL72
smile.gif
smile.gif

I have a beautiful woman's pure Vicuna coat. It has a few issues(little moth nibbles) and besides Ebay doesn't allow the sale of vintage vicuna items anymore.

But there is probably enough uneffected perfect Vicuna fabric to make 2 gorgeous scarfs at the tailor of your choice. $1,000 for you with a money back guarantee.
smile.gif
bigstar[1].gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those of you that complain it's hard to find stuff in small sizes, here is a seller that has listed RL Purple Label, and Black Label shirts size 14.5 in lots of 3 and 4. With $.99 start prices. Might be a good opportunity.

Here are the listings.

a1c0_1.JPG

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
For those of you that complain it's hard to find stuff in small sizes, here is a seller that has listed RL Purple Label, and Black Label shirts size 14.5 in lots of 3 and 4. With $.99 start prices. Might be a good opportunity.

Here are the listings.

a1c0_1.JPG

=( i had my eye on those

JCM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Dated. Old.

How do you tell? The seller claims it's 2-3 years old, though I admit it's hard to tell much from those photos. It won't work for me due to the pants, but just wondering what the telltales are to judge the age for future reference. Thanks!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JCM
How do you tell? The seller claims it's 2-3 years old, though I admit it's hard to tell much from those photos. It won't work for me due to the pants, but just wondering what the telltales are to judge the age for future reference. Thanks!

Low gorge and button stance, label (if you can see it)... That one is most certainly NOT 2-3 yrs old.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Another relatively reasonable source for Seaman & Spearn:
http://www.shootingsocks.co.uk/acata...n_Ties_94.html

http://www.countryloversstore.com/cg...B=A&SS=seaward

Interesting their full price is only 25 pounds, and on the fly is only $86 at full price. I thought these were more likely retailing at over $150.

The German site where I'd gotten mine from:

http://www.krawatten-ties.com/index.php?cPath=35

As Alex says, it just takes big balls to charge more. I find it hard to believe that he is really marking the ties up double or triple the retail prices elsewhere. A sucker born every minute, and all.

JCM

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this blazer (age, pattern, versatility)? I don't yet have the eye for age ( obviously
smile.gif
) - again, seller claims it's 3 years old max.

0a7b_1.JPG

0c33_1.JPG

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are so out of suits that you are looking at ebay, I don't think the gorge height and button stance should be an issue. Not everyone will agree with me; this is my opinion. People wear "dated" gorges and button stances all the time. 99.99% of the population has no eye for such things. Too-wide or too-narrow lapels are much more noticed than gorge shape, height, or button stance.

A much bigger deal is the cut and whether or not it's likely to suit you. The fact that the suit is about eight years old, maybe eighteen years old, suggests the 18" shoulder width is probably wrong. That would be a trim shoulder for a suit of that vintage. The guy probably measured it while the jacket was on an 18" wide hanger.

The cut might look dated, but only if it was extreme for its day. People wear such stuff all the time. Especially older people without a lot of suits. No one laughs them out of church for sporting such a suit. It just looks like a suit

Another big deal with that old suit is the fact that it's olive.

If you want an olive suit and like a no-vent jacket and pleated pants, at $30 or $40 the suit might be steal.

The third thing that's a red flag, though, beyond the olive and the potential for a vintage cut that is not as described and not what you are after, is whether or not the seller is lying about the age of the suit. If so, walk away; it means they are lying about other things too.

To reward the 38 suit-wanting guy and not bog down this thread too much with non-tip-sharing posts, here's a recent-enough and decent-enough 38 Golden Fleece, not advertised as such.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
As Alex says, it just takes big balls to charge more. I find it hard to believe that he is really marking the ties up double or triple the retail prices elsewhere. A sucker born every minute, and all.

Don't disagree Matt, but this strikes as a similar situation to the German Vass seller who was offering the shoes at about half of what Bergdorf's was charging.

Even worse is that Kiton, Borrelli, Attolini goods in the US sell for far more than they do in Europe. I suppose import duties play some role but it's probably more a case of pricing predicated on what the market will bear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads