• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wings GT vs. White's Semi-dress

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamaloser
Getsmart, what polish do you use on your GTs, if any?

I use kiwi cordovan wax polish normally...occasionally I use plain black

I agree the cuban heel on the SDs helps it commit suicide. And the black cherry GT color isnt as brown as the photo makes it look

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get smart: how long did it take you to break your gt 1911 in? I got my pair a week ago and are trying to wear them as much as possible but they're killing my ankles man. I'm trying to man up but I haven't worn them for a few days now and whenever I think about it I feel the pain.

I love looking at them though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ I hear you....they killed my ankles too. I think I wore them about 4x/week and they finally broke in after 2 weeks or so. I just put a bandaid at the rubbing spot and it made the discomfort lessen. I know shoes shouldnt be that bad breaking in, but they are so comfortable now it's hard to believe they hurt as much as they did when I first got them.

blantonator

Reaction score
one more quick question before I commit... I really like the look of the broken-in toe like in the picture below. Will the GT's break-in like this? I haven't been able to find any picture of a well worn pair.

IMG_0786.jpg

Yaz

Reaction score
Check out this page from *ahem* superfuture. Scroll down a bit to see pics of worn Red Wing 1909 GTs...same basic model I believe but different color, more brown than the 1911s

sample pic from a user named "Red Winger"

2182.jpg

blantonator

Reaction score
Can the black cherry be worn with a black leather jacket/black belt?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I'll second the warning of riding bikes in leather soles.

I wouldn't call that a Cuban heel. It's an underslung walking heel. In the pictures, the White's look much nicer to me than the Red Wings. I never really dug the tall toe box of the GT.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them both. However, I placed an order for the SD about a month ago. I like the tall heel of the SD. The tall heel is supposed to create a more comfortable boot as your foot is angled downward. I ordered the doublesole and will probably add a Vibram 705 sole after they arrive.

fashunhor

Reaction score
So I am pretty sure which Redwings you are talking about but what does the GT mean? The only place I have seen these online is at cultizm here.
These the same?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i hate the giant heel of the white's. it looks ridiculous.

Agreed. Those Whites look god awful.

Originally Posted by fashunhor
So I am pretty sure which Redwings you are talking about but what does the GT mean? The only place I have seen these online is at cultizm here.
These the same?

Pretty sure it means they are part of the "Gentleman Traveler's" series. Most of which are sold on Cultizm, as you pointed out.

Curious_George

Reaction score
Definitely the Red Wings. The Sids seem overpriced for a made in Mexico boot. I doubt the quality is as high as the Red Wings either.

datasupa

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's more amazing, your ignorance or your willingness to make wildly incorrect statements based on it.

fashunhor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by datasupa
I'm not sure what's more amazing, your ignorance or your willingness to make wildly incorrect statements based on it.

So does that mean that you think the Fryes are good, or that they are not made in Mexico or both?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics