• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

buttonman

Reaction score
same thing with my pair. i dunno if you sized down but i went true to size and i had that digging into my stomach discomfort initially for a couple days but it stretched out for me after having these for a couple weeks now. get used to it and it'll stretch? the top part of the waist has kinda stretched out a litttle more than the rest since being in high school, i spend a majority of my time sitting, listening to boring lectures

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, need some advice. Picked up a pair of S5000BK while I was in Japan (with tabs and arcs, yay!) but am now thinking they may be a bit too relaxed for me. The 710 wasn't out yet when I was there :/

Would you have them altered, or try and sell them and pick up a pair of 710BK? I'm in LA so I have access to some fairly good denim tailors.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*Clears throat*
Originally Posted by Brian278
This seems like as good a place as any to ask this: are there any jeans that are very slim in the seat but are still mid rise (as in 10-11" in a 32" waist)? And would you determine this by looking at the rear rise measurement? Most mid-rise jeans I've tried on are also somewhat baggy on me in the seat, however, I'm not really a fan of very low-rise jeans with a tucked in shirt on me so I'm not nuts about going in that direction just to get acceptably form-fitting seat.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brian, have you tried the Iron Heart 634S? Its rise is medium/medium-low in front, medium/medium-high in back, but the whole top block, waist included, is very slim.

The Flathead 3001 is another option, significantly slimmer throughout the leg. Its rear pockets are fairly high and close together, which gives a more fitted look than many Japanese brands.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Is there any kind of consensus on what the better 1947-ish reproduction jeans are? I've searched around and seen personal testimonials here and there, but nothing that seemed consensus-like.

modual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
Is there any kind of consensus on what the better 1947-ish reproduction jeans are? I've searched around and seen personal testimonials here and there, but nothing that seemed consensus-like.

For me its the lvc if you're talking about fit. I've never had a better fitting jean though ns would come close. I tried the sugarcane version but it's very full through the leg and gave me hip flare. construction wise not much to choose between them but the canes probably edge it.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newb question time: whats the difference between selvedge and non-selvedge jeans in terms of quality? How does the quality between the two change for a better brand like 5EP?

I understand the process behind them--no need to explain that.

buttonman

Reaction score
fh3001 or kmw 1980's
a reason why for one or the other would be appreciated but not necessary

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttonman
fh3001 or kmw 1980's
a reason why for one or the other would be appreciated but not necessary

Depends on what your goals are... if it's fading, the FH will probably give you more contrast and fade quicker, the KMW are going to take a beating before they fade. FH aren't sanforized so you'll have to soak them before wearing them.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with drizz about the fading. Another big difference is the huge dropped pockets on the back of the KMWs.

buttonman

Reaction score
well fading is not exactly my number one priority with these jeans. if they fade awesome, if they don't, awesome. i'm just mainly concern with fit, construction, quality.

are the pocket's on the kmw really dropped that much? i can't really seem to find nice pictures of them from stores. context's picture doesn't make seem so low though the ones from revolve are ridiculous. then again, it's revolve.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buttonman
well fading is not exactly my number one priority with these jeans. if they fade awesome, if they don't, awesome. i'm just mainly concern with fit, construction, quality.

are the pocket's on the kmw really dropped that much? i can't really seem to find nice pictures of them from stores. context's picture doesn't make seem so low though the ones from revolve are ridiculous. then again, it's revolve.

I don't feel like they're really that different than the pockets on any of my other jeans, but maybe it's just me.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy KMW because its better for our economy :p Assuming you're American, haha.

Either way, I'm always kind of hesitant to go with unsanforized denim because its a bit of a crapshoot. It's hard to say for sure whether you'll like them post soak, and by then you lose the ability to return them. Sanforized you know exactly what you're getting and can return them if they aren't to your liking.

That said, both are quality. I think the 3001 is probably a bit slimmer than the 1980.

buttonman

Reaction score
yeah, that's one reason why i want to buy kmw, cause the american economy is just so great!!! (lol gotta build consumer confidence)

i understand the whole crapshoot with unsanforized denim so i plan on sizing up one just to be a little safe since it's on the slim side. if they were too slim to begin with then i would be screwed.

i know both are quality. originally i was planning on just getting kmw's but since i'm going to japan (as i have posted earlier), my list started expanding. considering i'll be able to find 3001s for 19000 yen, it seems like a steal to me

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're going to Japan just pick something up there. KMW will be easily accessible for later if you decide you want them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads