• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paisley Tie Appreciation Thread

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc00004bv9.jpg

Does this qualify?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are another couple I bought recently (I keep getting green paisleys for some reason
confused.gif
though with some blue in the pattern, which makes them very easy to coordinate with a blue shirt and any color jacket). The left is H&B and the right is Polo RL.

img5213xp7.jpg

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Paisleys and paisley wannabees:

paisleys.jpg

I have a couple more, one's at the cleaners, the other's loaned to a friend, who knows if I'll see it again.

citoyen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Nope. Not one paisley on that one.

And with the tags on this thread maybe you are better off that way.

how do i add tags? or is it only allowed to the opener to add tags?
i would like to see this one as well, in order to give some more seriousity to the thread
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
: "beautiful floral prints"

citoyen

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Here is a vintage paisley bowtie I picked up at a thrift store awhile back.

p1012574oi8.jpg

Now the patent number for "The Original AdjustoTie" brings up this patent dated March 11, 1924. That just so happens to correspond to the "3-11-24" appended to the patent number on the tie. The inventor, Isidore Wolfson, also applied for an update to the first patent in 1926, which he states was an improvement upon it. So this is likely a mid-1920s tie.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Sweet bowtie, Alan. Here are the only 3 paisley ties I own, though this thread has made me want to find some nice small-paisley patterns. The left tie is a printed Borrelli that I bought online. I liked it more in the picture on the site than I did when I got it. The middle tie is the first tie I ever bought, when I was 16. It's Talbott for Nordstroms. The last one I recently got here on the B&S board. It's Lanvin, and the subtle paisley in the blue ground is pretty much invisible unless you're in direct sunlight, as in the pic.
img1183hn7.jpg

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Nope. Not one paisley on that one.

And with the tags on this thread maybe you are better off that way.

Actually, if you look closely at the edgings around the cross-shaped things (such techinical terms) I think I see some.

Kaizen

Reaction score
I just picked this one up today, a Robert Talbott seven fold. I really like the subtle woven paisley pattern underneath the print.

RedTie.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My eyes!! This is worse than Matt's pink glasses thread.
laugh.gif
Paisley pocket squares can be ok. For ties, it's too much imo, unless the pattern is very small, at which point I don't really consider it a paisley.

16520Man

Reaction score
vintage paisley from Liberty of London:
VintagePaisley.jpg

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I have tons of them...But I don't think my collection is as good as Nick's or Alan's.

I'd rather wear them than stripes, and they do indeed go with anything.

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Paisleys and paisley wannabees:

paisleys.jpg

I have a couple more, one's at the cleaners, the other's loaned to a friend, who knows if I'll see it again.

I like nos 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 the best.

Tampan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaizen
I just picked this one up today, a Robert Talbott seven fold. I really like the subtle woven paisley pattern underneath the print.
Ow. I'd never seen wearable paisley ties until this thread. I particularly like DocHolliday's "stab wounds" paisley. But Kaizen's hurts to look at on so many levels. A faint blue-on-red background that begs to be stared at, slightly out of focus, with paisley swirls... excuse me... Edit: This wasn't meant to be confusing. I admire many of the paisleys here, and I have none yet. One very attractive one has red highlights. And one makes me feel uncomfortable. That is probably my monitor and my weak constitution, definitely not me at my best.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tampan
But Kaizen's hurts to look at on so many levels. A faint blue-on-red background that begs to be stared at, slightly out of focus, with paisley swirls... excuse me...
I love this forum. It brings out the best in so many people.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads