• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Punk Rock thread

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
I remember coming to Toronto for the last 'I spoke' show in 2005. They were really generic, but female fronted and enjoyable. Had a great time. Fucked Up on the other hand, never quite got...Plus on that trip I managed to pick up a few 'Great American Steak Religion' releases, and also the Fury Resurrection 7", which was great!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy Burgess
and also the Fury Resurrection 7", which was great!

nice, I love that 7" and everything else that alter ego Swiz did. such an underrated band, I remember when Swiz came to LA back in the 80s and there were like 30 people there to see em. Plus you can't beat the original Dag Nasty tracks that had Shawn Brown on vox

ChrisOnCoffee

Reaction score
Don't know if iit's been mentioned yet, but Cock Sparrer Shock Troops is pretty much perfect.
Their newest album is even pretty solid - minus the serious clunker at the end about the suicide girls. Anyone hear this yet?

Hazad

Reaction score
I could try and post as many obscure punk/hardcore bands, but the ones I keep coming back to are:

Agnostic Front
Bane
Blacklisted
Champion
Comeback Kid
Death Before Dishonor
Dillinger Escape Plan
Donnybrook
Fifteen
Full Blown Chaos
Hopesfall (though "Christian" in the early years, still great hardcore)
Misfits (Danzig era)
Modern Life is War
Poison the Well (early CDs)
Skycamefalling
Subhumans
Terror

And although they aren't "punk/hardcore," a couple indie bands I never tire of:

Boys Night Out (early CDs)
Broken Social Scene
Cursive
Interpol
The Faint
The Mars Volta
The Paperchase

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisOnCoffee
Don't know if iit's been mentioned yet, but Cock Sparrer Shock Troops is pretty much perfect.
Their newest album is even pretty solid - minus the serious clunker at the end about the suicide girls. Anyone hear this yet?

I've heard it's really good. I was trying to find it on soulseek before actually buying it as I'm really wary of 70s classic bands still putting out new records. tho on that note, the last Sham 69 record from a couple years back called Hollywood Hero is f'ing great, sounds like something 1979 Sham wouldve released

Hazad, good list. I never did "get" Modern Life is War tho. I saw them live a few times and got their records but in the end all the hype surrounding that band I just didnt understand. Great call on Donnybrook, that band is brutal and those guys are nice and sketchy, always a plus when it comes to the 'core. I don't know where yer at geographically, but with that list of **** yer into there were a bunch of "hardcore fests" a few years ago that would've been your cup o tea (like Posi Fest, Sink with Cali, CheFest etc)

Hazad

Reaction score
I lived in South Jersey for awhile and went to 2 "Posi-Numbers" shows in Pa. The year where Agnostic Front closed on Friday night and Terror on Saturday night was completely insane.

Modern Life is War was incredible when I saw them live about 3 years ago in Phili. They were touring with Terror and Comeback Kid and Comeback Kid couldn't play that show (van problems or some such) and Blacklisted took their spot. Show was awesome and it was my first introduction to Modern Life is War and I've been a fan since (although their newest CD isn't quite as good).

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
France is widely thought to be a wasteland for punk, and while that's not completely false, they do have at least a couple good bands that I know of:

Frustration play kind of arty cold wave/ post-punk stuff. At first I really didn't like it but it grew on me and now I really love their Full of Sorrow LP.

Les Hatepinks write really catchy little ditties. If you're into bands like The Briefs and The Spits this might be up your alley.

Opà ration S have some good releases but I heard some recent stuff that I wasn't all that into though.

A lot of people are into La Fraction but I never really got it. I think it's that the vocals remind me of so much generic QuÃ
00a9.png
bec radio pop.

I'm currently trying to find out more about French punk in general because I don't know much about what's going on over there. If you have recommendations, feel free to let me know.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
no links, but off the top of my head, some French punk I like

The No-Talents....have 2 records, play a raw garagey punk with 2 chicks/2 guys in band

on the sketchy side, France has had some good oi bands of ill repute

Brutal Combat....their Charles Martel record is great 80s style oi music

Evil Skins....given their questionable politics I thought it amusing the singer isnt even white, but arab (!!) haha

currently, there is an indie punk-ish band called The Plastiscines I like a lot, they play simple garagey punkpop. all chicks, pretty cute

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hazad
I lived in South Jersey for awhile and went to 2 "Posi-Numbers" shows in Pa. The year where Agnostic Front closed on Friday night and Terror on Saturday night was completely insane.

nice. Some other bands from that era of 'core I really like and saw a few times
-Piece by Piece
-Lights out
-Our Turn
-Over My Dead Body
-Some Kind of Hate

First time I saw Terror, they only had some demo tracks recorded and played a free show at a local records store in LA...you can imagine what that would be like with kids dogpiling and floorpunching in a retail store environment

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a No-Talents song and it's really good. Kind of reminds me of Loli and the Chones. I will keep an eye out for their records. Thanks!

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Swiz was a great band.
for me which I am sure they have been listed a billion times are

Cro-mags
sheer terror
ALL OF THE STRAIGHT EDGE BANDS ( can't think of one I didn't enjoy listening to even Youth of Today)
Bad Brains

**** to many to list.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
awesome Mauro, didnt know you were into the 'core. another good reason to buy from Denimbar haha!

If yer into Sheer Terror/Cro-Mags.....you gotta check out (if you already havent) Cold As Life from Detroit. They have 2 dodgy later records, but their original which was re-released as an "early years discography" with original singer Ryan (RIP) is BRUTAL. The soundtrack to a Doc Marten dental plan.

ChrisOnCoffee

Reaction score
The last sheer terror show at CB's was one of the sketchiest things I've ever seen. An awesome farewell.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ are you referring to their "1 shot reunion" gig at CBs a few years ago around 2004?

a bunch of my friends from out here flew to that show and definitely added some west coast sketch representation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics