• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me out.

I am really interested in ordering a pair of the Craftsman boots, but from reading a good chunk of this thread, I get the impression they may not be that good for winter.

I live in Michigan and am a student and will have a decent walk to class most days that can be through the snow and ice etc during the winter.

Are there modifications that can be made to the Craftsman to make it more suitable for winter wear? If not, what would you recommend purchasing?

Thanks for the help.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MJC8719x
Hi,

I am really interested in ordering a pair of the Craftsman boots, but from reading a good chunk of this thread, I get the impression they may not be that good for winter.

I live in Michigan and am a student and will have a decent walk to class most days that can be through the snow and ice etc during the winter.

Are there modifications that can be made to the Craftsman to make it more suitable for winter wear? If not, what would you recommend purchasing?

Thanks for the help.

Well, the Comfort Craftsman has a non-slip composite sole that's specifically designed for wetter, icier conditions.

MJC8719x

Reaction score
I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly though, that the comfort Craftsman was a lot chunkier looking due to needing the additional padding. Is this incorrect?

Thanks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly though, that the comfort Craftsman was a lot chunkier looking due to needing the additional padding. Is this incorrect? Thanks
Not a lot - but somewhat. See my prior post, the boot in claret (reddish-brown) is the comfort Craftsman.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the impression you can custom order a regular Craftsman with a rubber sole, though I'm not sure that will make it less clunky.

gopherblue

Reaction score
The Craftsman custom ordered with a rubber sole is the Blaxland. I think it is indeed a bit sleeker than the Custom Craftsman, since it does not have the additional insole. The folks at the NYC shop indicated to me that the Comfort Craftsman is a little wider (and maybe a bit roomier all around) to accommodate the insole. I have a narrow, low-volume foot, and I opted for the Blaxland and inserted an insole to fill up some of the excess volume.

Originally Posted by kaxixi
I got the impression you can custom order a regular Craftsman with a rubber sole, though I'm not sure that will make it less clunky.

gopherblue

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The Craftsman boots are not waterproof or insulated, and from my years in Ann Arbor, I'm not sure they would make good winter boots if you do a lot of outdoors activity. That said, you can order almost any boot custom made with any sole. There is a rubber, treaded sole (different from the one on the Custom Craftsman) which would be better for winter weather (although the boot still would not be waterproof). You should take a look at the Gammon (I think) and the Yardboot, both of which (I seem to recall) have the lugged sole and may in fact be waterproof (or have a more rugged leather to withstand the elements).

(Sorry for all the parentheses.)
(Goph)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gopherblue
The Craftsman custom ordered with a rubber sole is the Blaxland. I think it is indeed a bit sleeker than the Custom Craftsman, since it does not have the additional insole. The folks at the NYC shop indicated to me that the Comfort Craftsman is a little wider (and maybe a bit roomier all around) to accommodate the insole. I have a narrow, low-volume foot, and I opted for the Blaxland and inserted an insole to fill up some of the excess volume.

Hmm, mine don't seem to be wider, but, rather, a bit higher. Anyhow, IIRC the Blaxland has been supplanted by the Comfort Craftsman.

The padding inside the CC is quite plush feeling
biggrin.gif

gopherblue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Hmm, mine don't seem to be wider, but, rather, a bit higher. Anyhow, IIRC the Blaxland has been supplanted by the Comfort Craftsman.

The padding inside the CC is quite plush feeling
biggrin.gif

I think you may be right about the Blaxland being replaced by the Comfort Craftsman. Therefore, anyone desiring the fit of the original Craftsman but with the advantages of a rubber sole should request a MTO Craftsman with the rubber sole.

Goph

MJC8719x

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. It looks like I will have to consider the yardboot or gammon as I probably need a waterproof shoe for the winter.

Thanks again.

palladio211

Reaction score
I just bought my third pair of RMW's. My first pair was a regular craftsman in brown suede. It is by far the most elegant and best looking pair, but is not good in inclement weather. It also doesn't seem to have much padding so it feels about as hard on the foot as a traditional dress shoe.

I wanted something more comfortable for long walks in NYC and more durable for inclement weather, so I bought a pair of comfort Craftsman (with the rubber sole and some padding) in black calf. To be honest, I really don't like these boots much. They look a bit clunky and the calf scratches easily. It's like a boot that is caught between two uses - not elegant enough to be a dressier boot, but too fine of a hide to stand up to being a casual/work boot.

So the other day, I bought a pair of what the salesman called Gardeners or Yardboots (an ankle boot with a rubber oil resistant sole, a round toe rather than the chiseled toe of the Craftsman, and an oiled leather called "greasy kip"). This leather comes in either a medium or a dark brown, and I bought the darker one because it was in stock. I already love this boot, and think it may be the model to replace my all time favorite Redwing boot (which has bee discontinued). You can also order this boot in a regular height, that looks like a Wellington.

If you are looking for a winter boot, I would suggest you try one with the rubber sole and "greasy kip" leather. I think you can custom order it in whatever RMW shape/last you prefer. I don't think the regular craftsman will hold up well in wet or snowy conditions.

If you like, I'll post some pictures of my three pairs when I get home tomorrow.

superslim_zac

Reaction score
picked up this pair of RMs at the markets last weekend. $35, was missing the rubber on one heel so I had it replaced with an RM williams rubber on both shoes for $28. Not a bad pickup I'd say.

rmwilliams-4ac63a4s3.jpeg

pennydog1

Reaction score
Hi there i could do with some help on the purchase of RM WIlliams Comfort Craftsman.

I usually take size 10.5(US) in Timberland and bought some Comfort Craftsmans size 9.5(Aus) they feel ok but i camn slightly feel the end of the boot??!!
I have spoke to the people i bought from and they are sending me size 10(Aus) to try and they are telling me to choose between the two.
I just wondered if anyone had experience as towhether they stretch length wise??
sorry to go on.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pennydog1
Hi there i could do with some help on the purchase of RM WIlliams Comfort Craftsman.

I usually take size 10.5(US) in Timberland and bought some Comfort Craftsmans size 9.5(Aus) they feel ok but i camn slightly feel the end of the boot??!!
I have spoke to the people i bought from and they are sending me size 10(Aus) to try and they are telling me to choose between the two.
I just wondered if anyone had experience as towhether they stretch length wise??
sorry to go on.

I would try the longer boot as the toebox is stiff and unlikely to stretch, imo, unlike the body of the boot.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by palladio211

If you like, I'll post some pictures of my three pairs when I get home tomorrow.

please do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics