• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think you'll find that there is a palpable divide between those that believe as you do (that clothes should 'fix' one's body shape), and those who would rather make the most of their natural eccentricities. Now, as big-headed as I am (both physically and literally), I may simply prefer the latter because the former would be less effective personally. But don't you think hard formulas and ratios are a bit too reductive?

Menswear should abide to those reductive rules, including hard formulas and ratios, while seeking individualism from minor details, IMHO. Majorities of us were not born as models with perfect physics thus it should be imperative to use visual illusions to fix our deficiencies. Carefully tailored clothing will appear natural regardless but not necessarily pleasing in appearance.

Or you could always go out of bounds like the OP.

Originally Posted by haganah
What is an inverse golden ratio?

Pardon my language but it should actually be golden ratio 'reversed'. Golden ratio is approximately 4:6 width to length, upper to lower body, etc.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
napoleondynamite.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides the two outfits with the black jackets I felt as through I was looking my unlcle's closet back in 1977. I usre hop it is just you and those styles are not trying to make a comeback, I don't think my eyes can take it.

phillys

Reaction score
I can't help but to notice that you said you're playing in church and this is what 'artistes around you' expect you to wear. I'm a church musician as well and in our church, we have a dress code/guideline to what we should wear when we play in a church band on Sunday morning. For the record: we are encouraged to wear long sleeve shirts and slacks. No jeans, tie not required. How it fits(which seems to be your problem here) isn't part of the prerequisite but musicians are ALWAYS REMINDED that when they play in a church band, they are not just playing for the people around them. They are also playing for God.

So, to show reverence and respect to God when we're playing in front of the Almighty One, we're always encouraged to wear our 'Sunday best'. Of course God doesn't expect everyone of us to turn up in custom-made suits/shirts and if you think that is the best kind of fit or clothes and shoes you can wear for God, then that's all fine and dandy in my book. But if you already know what's the problem and just don't want to change it because it's what the 'artistes around you' is wearing, then I'm not sure what's the point of trying to make a statement with the clothes you wear in a church band setting.

Either way, what kind of church musicians expect you to conform and wear the same clothes as them?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just read through this whole thread in one go...

all i was thinking while reading through it is, damn...to the untrained eye my outfits and this guy's probably aren't much different...that thought scares me.

I must say though, you look a bit uncomfortable and self conscious in those shots, especially the ones where you were trying to strike some kind of pose. That says that perhaps you aren't as happy with this style as you ought to be, or maybe you just need a little more swagger in general.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
just read through this whole thread in one go...

all i was thinking while reading through it is, damn...to the untrained eye my outfits and this guy's probably aren't much different...that thought scares me.

It'sall about swagger baby.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
It'sall about swagger baby.

I was going to say something similar, quoting Mies, "God is in the details."

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well that's a part of it, but i think to a lot of people whose eye hasn't been trained to understand the proportions of clothes by a designer such as Yohji, they cannot tell the difference in the details and cut of the clothes that separates it from "ill fitting" clothing like the OP.

now that i look at it in this context, i'm no longer riled up by thinking about times where people have laughed at my outfits online. Some people just don't get it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
well that's a part of it, but i think to a lot of people whose eye hasn't been trained to understand the proportions of clothes by a designer such as Yohji, they cannot tell the difference in the details and cut of the clothes that separates it from "ill fitting" clothing like the OP.

Should you care about what said people think?

No.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Agreed. And, if they make fun of you, perhaps you should let them know what Yohji charges for his wares. You should tell them, "Oh yeah, you know I paid $800 for these pants TO LOOK LIKE THIS!"

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the brilliance of Yohji lies in the fact he makes clothes that "don't fit" (don't shoot me, the man said it himself in different ways many times) and yet, in some twisted sense, they fit perfectly. That to me is much more difficult from a design point of view than just doing Hedi Slimane style clean lines.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i think the brilliance of Yohji lies in the fact he makes clothes that "don't fit" (don't shoot me, the man said it himself in different ways many times) and yet, in some twisted sense, they fit perfectly. That to me is much more difficult from a design point of view than just doing Hedi Slimane style clean lines.

Exactly. Yohji, like older Jil, is the sort of stuff that you have to see up close and actualy put on in order to get just how nifty it is. On the rack, it looks dumpy and oversized (or, with older Jil, sort of plain), but when you put it on, you see how much really went into it. I find this to be the opposite of most designers; it looks neat in the store, but then you put it on and say, "umm... what in the hell IS this?"

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Menswear should abide to those reductive rules, including hard formulas and ratios, while seeking individualism from minor details, IMHO. Majorities of us were not born as models with perfect physics thus it should be imperative to use visual illusions to fix our deficiencies. Carefully tailored clothing will appear natural regardless but not necessarily pleasing in appearance.

Or you could always go out of bounds like the OP.

Pardon my language but it should actually be golden ratio 'reversed'. Golden ratio is approximately 4:6 width to length, upper to lower body, etc.

Arrrggg!!! Not another golden ratio shape idealist!!! I don't even like Mafoofan outfit but his answer was perfect and yours a perfect recipee for having absolutely no style.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah. i can't think of a greater style atrocity than adhering to a 'golden rule of shape.' Nothing says 'stiff' to me louder than that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics