• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

twothreesix

Reaction score
What pair has a smaller taper below the knees, APC New Standards or 5EPxSF?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synrax
I really love the color of my 5EP LDB and want a similar color for another pair. Some people have suggested RRL. What other jeans have a dark blue-green hue?
RRL for sure. Lots of green and turquoise.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
RRL for sure. Lots of green and turquoise.

Is this feature consistent throughout all versions? I asked because sizing sure isn't; they might use a different denim every season or so.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Is this feature consistent throughout all versions? I asked because sizing sure isn't; they might use a different denim every season or so.
Pretty consistent regardless of where it was made (Japan or US). Godmother would back me up on it.

choptreesv

Reaction score
first slim jean... KMW 1980 or Flathead F310 ? are they cut similarly?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by choptreesv
first slim jean... KMW 1980 or Flathead F310 ? are they cut similarly?

1980 is straight leg, f310 is slightly tapered, the flat head is much slimmer IME.

surfingmonkey815

Reaction score
I had two quick questions for people with more experience with raw denim. I got my first pair, 1950 KMWs, about two months ago, sized on my actual waist size so I could throw them on after surfing and still be comfortable. They've stretched out a fair bit, so they sit on my hips, like low rises. Only problem is there is now too much denim on my backside for my liking now, feels somewhat like I'm swimming in them. Any recommendations on altering? Has anyone had any success with having the rise or seat taken in on their jeans?

Davis Tecula

Reaction score
doing this would alter the whole fit and doing it is pretty difficult. i did this myself to a pair of jeans about a year ago. resulted in changing the fit entirely, denim excess at weird places and had to unstitch and resew the whole pants altogether. my advice is wear a belt.

evpj2L

Reaction score
So I sized down 2 as recommended on my New Standards (my first pair of raw denim), and they appear to fit in the leg. Not surprisingly, the waste and crotch are PAINFULLY tight. If I had gone any bigger in size, the jeans would have been too baggy in the legs. I'm trying to keep the faith that the waste and crotch will stretch out, but I was curious: Is this whole size down so much that the jeans are lowering your sperm count for a proper fit thing specific to APC?

If I were to pick up a pair of Nudies, for example, could I have some more comfort in the waste and crotch from day one? I Know I could have gone for New Cures, but I wasn't a fan of how tapered they were. Maybe I would have been better off with a pair of Nudies (because I could have gotten the fit in the leg I'm going for without such a reduction in waste size)? Is there a particular Nudie fit that's similar to a pair of sized down New Standards in the leg without cutting off circulation in the waste/crotch?

Queue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evpj2L
So I sized down 2 as recommended on my New Standards (my first pair of raw denim), and they appear to fit in the leg. Not surprisingly, the waste and crotch are PAINFULLY tight. If I had gone any bigger in size, the jeans would have been too baggy in the legs. I'm trying to keep the faith that the waste and crotch will stretch out, but I was curious: Is this whole size down so much that the jeans are lowering your sperm count for a proper fit thing specific to APC?

If I were to pick up a pair of Nudies, for example, could I have some more comfort in the waste and crotch from day one? I Know I could have gone for New Cures, but I wasn't a fan of how tapered they were. Maybe I would have been better off with a pair of Nudies (because I could have gotten the fit in the leg I'm going for without such a reduction in waste size)? Is there a particular Nudie fit that's similar to a pair of sized down New Standards in the leg without cutting off circulation in the waste/crotch?

You may be one of the few whom prefer more of an anti/casual fit. Originally I sized down 2 from what I usually wear (30), but after awhile, the waist stretched, but I felt like I could use a bit more room overall. I sold them off to a friend and opted for 29's. It wasn't a struggle for be to put them on at my true waist. After stretching, they sit just below my waist, and since I have muscular thighs they don't really sag at all.

For reference...

KMW 1980 Black - size 30

Crate The Jackson - Size 31

Levis 514 - Size 30 (below hips)

Brutus

Reaction score

No. I just got the Nudie SSDS and I think they are tighter in the crotch than my APC NS were when they were new. Give it time and they'll end up perfectly formed to your specific shape...you can't get that if they're too loose to start with. The same thing goes for most of the jeans loved by SF members.

If everything is PAINFULLY tight then maybe your actual waist size is bigger than you want to admit it is. If everything is mildly uncomfortable at first then they're probably the right size. If this is your first pair of pants that don't have a two foot rise then just give it time. Post an update about how they fit in about 2 weeks.

evpj2L

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Queue
You may be one of the few whom prefer more of an anti/casual fit. Originally I sized down 2 from what I usually wear (30), but after awhile, the waist stretched, but I felt like I could use a bit more room overall. I sold them off to a friend and opted for 29's. It wasn't a struggle for be to put them on at my true waist. After stretching, they sit just below my waist, and since I have muscular thighs they don't really sag at all.

For reference...

KMW 1980 Black - size 30

Crate The Jackson - Size 31

Levis 514 - Size 30 (below hips)

I'm actually looking for a pretty slim fit, but it seems that the only way I can get the legs in New Standards slim enough is by going overly tight in the waste. My legs and thighs are SUPER skinny... At the same time, the New Cures are definitely more tapered than I would desire. Which is why I'm starting to think maybe APC's aren't for me? I just wish I could achieve the New Standard slim-ness without causing pain and suffocation in my bottom half.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's a little surprising you find them tight in the crotch, how high up are you wearing them? APCs have a pretty high rise so they should be pretty generous there.

Dekayte

Reaction score
I'm actually looking for a pretty slim fit, but it seems that the only way I can get the legs in New Standards slim enough is by going overly tight in the waste. My legs and thighs are SUPER skinny... At the same time, the New Cures are definitely more tapered than I would desire. Which is why I'm starting to think maybe APC's aren't for me? I just wish I could achieve the New Standard slim-ness without causing pain and suffocation in my bottom half.

Unless it's really painful I think you should just deal with it until they stretch out. It looks like the only way you're going to achieve the look you want is with the tight in the waist pair you already have. It won't take long to stretch and if that's the look you're going for, I'm sure you're going to regret sizing up.

Synrax

Reaction score
The APC NS might not be the cut for you. I've found the front and back rise measurements to be just as important to know. All my jeans stretch in the waist accordingly but the comfort of them is the overall feel in the top block.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads