• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair products you use

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by padronlover
+1 for crew wax i have the greenish one?

i see a lot of recommendations for the gatsby, but do any non-asians use that?

yup, I do

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Well, I ordered some Gatsby so I'll see how that goes.

Really I'm just trying to find a replacement for Wella's MattMaxx that was discontinued last year. It worked a bit like a cream fiber but didn't leave an oily residue that every other product I've used. Also had a fair bit of hold so you could "bed head" while only using a tiny amount for your entire head.

Anyone familiar with a similar product?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I use Aveda elements (light) and a professional (in other words just works quicker and with less static, not that important) blow dryer. I have very light hair so the kind of haircuts and technique asians use look marsupialed on me.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grabbed some moving rubber and it's awesome - thanks for the recommendation!

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
What's a good product to give your hair some good 'weight' and texture and a little bit of shine, and a little bit of control, but very little hold? Basically something that leaves my hair looking and feeling like there's absolutely nothing in it, but improves the really dry and dull look it normally has. Something I can use to make my hair look decent when I don't feel like styling it with paste/wax/etc. I use American Crew Texture Cream, but it's not very noticeable unless I use too much then it leaves it feeling kinda greasy.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sebastian "Grease". It is a bit "greasy" but doesn't appear cheap-ish or greasy. It keeps my hair wet-looking all day with decent hold (doesn't dry out).

My alternative is Kiehl's Grooming Paste finished with SumoTECH...but the grease does the same thing with only one product and lasts all day.

billiamphan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
What's a good product to give your hair some good 'weight' and texture and a little bit of shine, and a little bit of control, but very little hold? Basically something that leaves my hair looking and feeling like there's absolutely nothing in it, but improves the really dry and dull look it normally has. Something I can use to make my hair look decent when I don't feel like styling it with paste/wax/etc. I use American Crew Texture Cream, but it's not very noticeable unless I use too much then it leaves it feeling kinda greasy.

got2b magnetik styling cream
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gatewa...?prodid=442839

It does exactly what you described.

swear

Reaction score
I use this Gatsby (Japan) Moving Rubber for my short/medium hair. The version I use is matte and I'd rate it at about 7/10 for hold.

item_mat01.jpg

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swear
I use this Gatsby (Japan) Moving Rubber for my short/medium hair. The version I use is matte and I'd rate it at about 7/10 for hold.

item_mat01.jpg

I use the green one, air something.
I also use the ultra hold and ultra hard waxes

I've got short hair

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
I use AG's Welding paste.

I usually wait until my hair is completely dry, or almost dry, and then rub some of the paste in. After that, I quickly rub my head with a dry towel and then use a comb, or my fingers to get the desired look.

I do the towel thing, because I find that if I don't break up the paste a little, it'll set up and get hard and shiny. This way it stays dry-looking. It works especially well if you're going for the bed head look, and because it's so strong, you don't have to use much paste.

http://www.aghaircosmetics.com/produ...ldingpaste.cfm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads