• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnarnya

Reaction score
How should casual athletic inspired shoes fit?

Usually I have been buying shoes that fit without much if any extra room in the toe box because I hate the feeling of a sloppy shoe -- I wanted to avoid the Ronald McDonald clown shoe thing... but for some reason I happened to measure my feet and one foot is like almost a half inch larger than the other and it made me look into foot problems and everywhere on the web there is like this copy/pasted rule list of how a shoe should fit. Anyways, they all said that there should be like 1/2 inch of room above the top of the big toe... but frankly this seems like a lot to me...

So what's better, a snugly fit shoe or a shoe with a bit of room that possibly requires a Dr. Scholls gel/whatever insert?

With my latest purchase I am between sizes and it is killingggg me!

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dnarnya
How should casual athletic inspired shoes fit?

Usually I have been buying shoes that fit without much if any extra room in the toe box because I hate the feeling of a sloppy shoe -- I wanted to avoid the Ronald McDonald clown shoe thing... but for some reason I happened to measure my feet and one foot is like almost a half inch larger than the other and it made me look into foot problems and everywhere on the web there is like this copy/pasted rule list of how a shoe should fit. Anyways, they all said that there should be like 1/2 inch of room above the top of the big toe... but frankly this seems like a lot to me...

So what's better, a snugly fit shoe or a shoe with a bit of room that possibly requires a Dr. Scholls gel/whatever insert?

With my latest purchase I am between sizes and it is killingggg me!

I think that when you walk, your foot spreads out, so the 1/2 inch is to account for this. If your foot fits snugly to the end of the shoe at rest, then when you walk, your toe will rub against the end of the shoe and 1. wear a hole 2. cause foot problems.

And as for the inserts...you answered your own question. If it's slightly too big, try an insert and see if that works. If that doesn't work, return it. If it fits and is comfortable, they have a phrase for that. If the shoe fits...

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mpcec
The whole shirt isn't wrinkled though, just the bottem is really wrinkled and it curls out...

Then iron it.

Wrinkles in Linen are fine so long as they are in the more "natural" areas where it is expected to wrinkle.

go0gle

Reaction score
Any good suggestions for summer shoes ? I allready have a pair of canvas. I am looking for something I can wear with jeans and shorts.

And..I have decided to try and wear some kind of jewelry this summer
smile.gif
any recommendation is wellcome!

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
I wear an 11 in Adidas Sambas and Vans and a 10.5 in Chucks: what size should I get in Jack Purcells?

Anyone?

dnarnya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erbs
Anyone?
I think jack purcells run more true to size then chucks. for instance, if I were going to buy a pair I would get a 10.5 in jack purcell, since I wear chucks in a size 10. but, I don't have jack purcells so I can't say for sure. I found this on some website: "Jack Purcell fitting tips: Jack Purcells have a new sizing that runs pretty true to most "other" shoe sizes. Guys: Order your normal shoe size. Gals: Please order 1 1/2 sizes smaller. If you wear a 7.0 ladies shoe, order a 5 1/2. NOTE: The new sizing on Jack Purcells is not that same as Chuck Taylors. You will want 1/2 to 1 full size larger than your Chuck Taylor size."

DBoon

Reaction score
What makes SugarCane 47's better than the LVC 1947 501s?

Studio27

Reaction score
assuming you mean LVC 47s, it's a different cut. I think the denim is different too, but when cut is considered that's irrelevant.

Johnny5

Reaction score
My new black leather wallet is starting to have small peel off on the black coating.... does it means that it is fake leather or leather of a lower quality?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by villasenor
what goes best with cords similar to this color or a shade darker?

green-mens-scarf.jpg

I would say brown, be it tan or darker. More importantly though, avoid red and blue.

villasenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I would say brown, be it tan or darker. More importantly though, avoid red and blue.

thanks, what about lighter colors? white, in particular.

mliecah

Reaction score
Any idea on sizing for YMC shoes? If I'm usually about an 11.5, should a 45 in YMC fit me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads