• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a watch for 20 year old man.

deranged

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new to this forum and need some help from the watch experts here.
I'm looking to buy a watch. Don't know what they're called, but its the kind with a leather strap and a thin round face. I want the deisgn to be simple and sophisticated. I was thinking about dark brown leather strap and white face with silver trim, but i'm open to opinions.
My dad got me a tag calibre 360 for my 18th birthday, but its big and clunky and it hurts my wrist after extended wearings so its usually just in my closet. So i'm looking for the opposite of that.
I saw some nice looking ones in GQ ads from Cartier, but I don't know if their price to quality ratio is any good.
I'm looking to wear this watch everyday casually (polo and sneakers) and i can also wear with a suit.

I'm going to buffalo in 2 weeks so maybe prices are better in the states. does anyone recommend any places i can check out (warehouses) or any specific models and brands?

I'm looking to spend around 500 (i'm in university, no money). Thanks for your time
smile.gif

tlmusic

Reaction score
Personally I like vintage Hamilton watches, if you're looking for classic style.

14k Gold ones can be had for $400-600, and gold filled can be had for significantly less.

The big drawback with vintage watches is that they can be fragile.

The modern reissue Hamilton's can look pretty good and are around your price range.

Here's an example in silver.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/...=AC&y=93&p=321

deranged

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply. thats a pretty good looking watch.
But if say i want to spend up to maybe 800-900, what other watches would you recommend?

and about the durability of the watch, if i drop it a couple of times, its not going to stop working is it? i dropped my tag maybe 4-5 times and not a scratch on it.
Does that watch have the scratch proof face on it?

and yeah, i basically know nothing about watches and if you experts can give me a quick lesson pros and cons of different brands, that would be great.

thanks again for your time.

soaped

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for ~500 I would be looking at Hamiltons as well. They are a really good value at that price range.

You can pickup a Khaki Field Chrono w/ a 7750 movement for about that price.

Keep in mind that if you drop any mechanical/auto watch and give it receives enough shock you can and will damage it. A light ding here and there wont do a thing.

If the face crystal is sapphire, it will be extremely hard to scratch. You will most likely chip or crack/shatter in the crystal before you put a scratch in it. Mineral crystals are less prone to shatter, but very easy to scratch compared to sapphire.

Most of the watches in the 500+ range are sapphire, unless they are vintage.

Also, if you think the 360 is large, look for something in the 38-40mm range.

FWIW, I would just wear the 360...

deranged

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.
where should i look for these watches? are there any retailers that is cheaper?
Is there any sort of warrenty that i can get that covers physical damage?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deranged
thanks for the info guys. where should i look for these watches? are there any retailers that is cheaper?
I'm not sure where you are located, but Hamilton watches are very easy to find. http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/...tor/index.aspx Any of the Tourneau shops are good for browsing. They will will have a beautiful selection. However, a store like that can be intimidating as they will have many VERY EXPENSIVE watches. http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/ To get a feel for what's out there for vintage watches (which are usually substantially less expensive) check out http://www.girards.com
Is there any sort of warrenty that i can get that covers physical damage?
New watches will often come with warranties of 1-2 years against manufacturer's defects. With vintage watches you are on your own. A homeowner's/renter's insurance policy can be bought to insure against other damages.

deranged

Reaction score
so for the hamilton watch brand. is there any watch model in particular that you would recommend?

polarbear

Reaction score
so for the hamilton watch brand. is there any watch model in particular that you would recommend?

The Jazzmaster viewmatic is very versatile in my opinion.

big picture

Histrion

Reaction score
I actually ordered a Christopher Ward yesterday, but its a quartz movement (Ronda). C3 Malvern chronograph, tan alligator strap.

If you like a Pilot watch look, you should peruse the Archimede Pilot as well as the Zeno (can be found on eBay in your price-range).

You could also look into Seiko Spirits from Seiya Japan as it is well in your budget. Hamiltons are also a great idea.

datasupa

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Wear the 360. It's an amazing watch, 2006 sports watch grand prix winner....1/100 second dial....360,000 beats per hr.....kicks the ass of any watch you could get in the $500 range. It's also kind of an affront to your dad not to wear it. And what do you mean it hurts your wrist? Do some bicep curls. In fact thinking about it more I don't even believe you have a 360, AFAIK it's like $15000 and you don't seem to have a clue how astounding the mechanical movement is. How can you possibly toss it in the closet and go for a Hamilton. Deranged, indeed.
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads