• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ticket pocket ok for interview?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly question I'm sure but.... I have a RLPL suit that I was planning on wearing for a US interview. Anyone see a problem with the ticket pocket for the first interview?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, unless it's an otherwise conversative suit.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the field, I might try to avoid wearing a suit with a ticket pocket for a first interview with a US firm. Probably not a big deal, but I'd play it safe and wear another.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One would normally wear polo's or biz casual in this field. Also, due to time constraints my only other options are an old ventless Kenneth Cole or an ill fitting Hugo Boss.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
One would normally wear polo's or biz casual in this field. Also, due to time constraints my only other options are an old ventless Kenneth Cole or an ill fitting Hugo Boss.
In that case, the ticket-pocketed RLPL is your best choice, as long as there are no other "issues" with it. No contest. Edit: This came out a bit unclear; there's nothing wrong or inappropriate about a ticket pocket - I like them.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid a ticket pocket.

You want to look as plain and professional as possible. Not because the guy on the other side of the table will necessarily care (though you never know) but so that you have one less thing to think / worry about.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was going to pair it with a solid white shirt, conservative blue/black pattern tie and black shoes.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
Thanks. I was going to pair it with a solid white shirt, conservative blue/black pattern tie and black shoes.
I wouldnt worry about it then. If your interviewer notices it, he is probably: 1. Trying very hard to look for a reason to not hire you, in which case you had no chance no matter what you wore. 2. Some kind of incredibly controlling, meddling neurotic, in which case do you want to work for him? 3. A Poster on the clothing message boards and you should make an immediate friend.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont think ticket pockets are in the mainstream for non SF'ers. Depending on the industry and the interviewer, it could cause more problems that it's worth. I would vote no.

If it's the only suit you have and don't have ample time to get another between now and then, then do it, but get yourself a new suit soonest.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yikes, after reading all of this feedback I'm leaning towards the blue ventless kenneth cole to be safe... :/

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I think you're being hyperparanoid.
smile.gif
No one is going to notice, especially given that the rest of the ensemble is quiet and conservative. I would spend more time preparing for the interview, and less time on SF!

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
seeing as most people don't even know what a ticket pocket is, the guy probably won't even see it. Even if he does, he won't know what it is and will probably assume that you don't know either and that it just came on your suit...haha.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The TP is fine.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
^^^ I think you're being hyperparanoid.
smile.gif
No one is going to notice, especially given that the rest of the ensemble is quiet and conservative. I would spend more time preparing for the interview, and less time on SF!

+1

No one will ever notice. Even I don't think I would notice a ticket pocket on an interviewer's suit. Even if they did notice, there's absolutely nothing wrong, over-flamboyant or inappropriate about a ticket pocket. I'm a little surprised by some of the early answers you received...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads