• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pearls

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Necro posting because I am interested in the same subject. i wonder what Concordia did.

I procrastinated. She is just 12, and has a freshwater necklace from her grandparents waiting for her 16th. That leaves me on the hook for 18 and 21, and if I were prudent I'd put something away now just in case my plane goes down next month. But I haven't yet.

Thanks, all, for the new info. Very interesting.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a bit about pearls... Talking about cultured, commonly available ones there are four main types, determined by the type of mollusk they come from: 1. Freshwater pearls - Least expensive, commonly smaller than the other types of pearls, naturally come in lighter colors (white, pink, lavender,etc.), most darker colored ones are dyed. Off-round (aka baroque) shapes are common. More durable than other pearl types because they consist of solid nacre (the pearly substance giving the pearl its appearance). Freshwaters do not have the same depth of glossy finish found on other types of pearls. IMHO, premium freshwater pearls are a good choice for an everyday necklace. 2. Akoya - generally larger (7-9mm common), shinier, and more expensive than Freshwater type. Nacre layer is thinner, because each oyster builts up a layer of nacre around a ball inserted into it. Akoya is what most people think of when they think of pearls. Untreated/undyed Akoya are mostly white and white with light color overtones. A large percentage of Mikimoto pearls are super-premium Akoya. Super-Premium Akoyas are also available from other retailers as well as online. 3. Tahitian - larger than Akoya (9-12+mm common). Best known for their natural dark color with various mettalic overtones. The only type of pearls with naturally dark coloring. Somewhat thicker nacre than Akoya. More expensive than Akoya. Round and slightly off-round shapes common. Average sized baroque necklace could be a good value compared to perfect round ones IMHO. Meryl Streep wears a gorgeous strand of huge baroque Tahitian pearls in some of her movies (The Manchurian Candidate, The Devil Wears Prada) which must have cost a fortune. 4. South Sea - the largest and most expensive pearls (13mm average). Most often encountered in lighter colors (gold, white, silver) having an incredible depth to their finish. Pearl grading is not as standartized as diamond grading so when a particular retailer assigns a certain grade to some pearls it is mostly helpful in comparing them to other pearls this retailer sells but not to other retailers. I placed a few orders with Pearl Paradise and has been generally happy with their service (except for one time when one of their geniuses in Shipping, put my Fedex overnight package in a USPS mailbox). They claim to buy pearl harvests in bulk and wholesale to other websites.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I saw in the Equinox magazine today at the gym a Yohji Yamamoto for Mikimoto pearl "moon" ring. It was $1200 in white gold and had a large smooth brushed surface and then a single silvery akoya off to the side.

Found a pic, it is the bottom center.

http://joiabr.blogspot.com/2007/10/j...esperadas.html

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is a nice ring. I should have mentioned that my wife does not really wear any jewelry. In fact, even earrings would be a stretch for her. The piece you showed is fine for someone who wears lots of jewelry all the time and mixes it up. I think in my, case, I need something pretty classic and un-designed.
How about something like this? You can specify an overtone (Peacock, silver, green, cooper). I prefer the peacock.
TAE701-XI.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The necklace on the right is stunning. Perhaps you should just buy her the entire collection
smile.gif

3.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MG]
This really was mind-blowingly beautiful. Not cheap, though. BTW, did you notice how the pearls in the necklace you posted graduated in color? This is really nice stuff.

That one is really nice. The entire collection seems very well thought out, which is not surprising as his clothing line is, at least to me, consistently the most interesting around.

Otter91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I know a bit about pearls...

Talking about cultured, commonly available ones there are four main types, determined by the type of mollusk they come from:

1. Freshwater pearls - Least expensive, commonly smaller than the other types of pearls, naturally come in lighter colors (white, pink, lavender,etc.), most darker colored ones are dyed. Off-round (aka baroque) shapes are common. More durable than other pearl types because they consist of solid nacre (the pearly substance giving the pearl its appearance). Freshwaters do not have the same depth of glossy finish found on other types of pearls.

IMHO, premium freshwater pearls are a good choice for an everyday necklace.

2. Akoya - generally larger (7-9mm common), shinier, and more expensive than Freshwater type. Nacre layer is thinner, because each oyster builts up a layer of nacre around a ball inserted into it. Akoya is what most people think of when they think of pearls. Untreated/undyed Akoya are mostly white and white with light color overtones.
A large percentage of Mikimoto pearls are super-premium Akoya. Super-Premium Akoyas are also available from other retailers as well as online.

3. Tahitian - larger than Akoya (9-12+mm common). Best known for their natural dark color with various mettalic overtones. The only type of pearls with naturally dark coloring. Somewhat thicker nacre than Akoya. More expensive than Akoya. Round and slightly off-round shapes common.
Average sized baroque necklace could be a good value compared to perfect round ones IMHO. Meryl Streep wears a gorgeous strand of huge baroque Tahitian pearls in some of her movies (The Manchurian Candidate, The Devil Wears Prada) which must have cost a fortune.

4. South Sea - the largest and most expensive pearls (13mm average). Most often encountered in lighter colors (gold, white, silver) having an incredible depth to their finish.

Pearl grading is not as standartized as diamond grading so when a particular retailer assigns a certain grade to some pearls it is mostly helpful in comparing them to other pearls this retailer sells but not to other retailers.

Gentlemen,

I would first like to say that the above is fantastic information, conveyed very well. I would like to add a little bit about the pricing of the different types of pearls, and note that they are not so easily comparable as the above would make them seem. With the different sizes between the different varieties of pearls, it is difficult to say which is more expensive between varieties as a blanket statement. For instance: A very large Akoya pearl (10mm or so) would cost more than a small South Sea Pearl of the same size (other factors being equal) because it takes longer, and is more difficult to produce an akoya pearl of that size.

I am a Graduate Gemologist working for a retail jewelry store in the Napa Valley, CA. I happen to have been a pearl wholesaler before I moved into the retail segment of the jewelry industry. I would be happy to put together some pricing and pictures for you if there is something that you are looking for. Because of my background, we have an excellent supply of pearls in our store.

Please PM me if you have questions or would like me to put together some information for you!

Hopefully I will have some time this afternoon, and I will post up a lot more pearl information for all of my fellow pearl lovers on the board!

thank you

Ryan

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am also doing gemmology and there are many factors in buying pearls. something that hasnt been mentiond yet is matching. if you have a rare pearl and it has to be matched properly, the price will significantly go up.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I don't think you need to wear lots of other jewelry with the YYxM moon ring. That is such a great statement piece that she could wear it as a stand alone statement.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as anyone seen pearl cuff links? I would imagine them to be a very simple double-sided design. I wonder if my jeweler can up with something. Would you wear something like that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads