• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim Royal Imperial Wingtips - Remakes or originals?

neyus

Reaction score
The first ones are very nice. They look like originals, though the heal looks rather modern!!

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
The first ones are very nice. They look like originals, though the heal looks rather modern!!

I agree. The heel/sole look modern. No welting that I can see. But the shoe looks exactly like the vintage pair based on the uppers. And the box....well who knows? Looks old but may just be the style if these are reproductions.

Hopefully someone here has come across these before or can piece it together.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the first ones are very old, or, as old as other vintage models on ebay. As an aside, in my opinion, it is unclear how old the "oldest" Florsheims on ebay tend to be, I think they are more like from the 80s, while a lot of sellers claim they are from the 60s or even older.

In any case, vintage florsheims have a variety of heel patterns. Here is a similar one:

dsc04561.jpg

dsc04510.jpg

$31 is a sweet deal for those

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Greekgeek, are you the winner? Because if you are, you got yourself one hell of a deal. Those are indeed vintage, early 90s at the newest. It's very hard to date Florsheim shoes as heels/soles etc. were never consistent. A couple of indicators, though: (1.) the sewn-on tag on the shoe bags was discontinued some time in the 90s; (2.) the fonts on the box are not fonts used by large companies in the last dozen years or so (looks 80s to me, but it's hard to tell); and (3.) the gold-stamped "Royal Imperial" insignia with the needle was discontinued before I started selling shoes, which was 1995. Besides, Royal Imperial was phased out in, I think, 1997. Enjoy your score!

neyus

Reaction score
I really wanted those shoes.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys, you've really made my day.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Teacher
Greekgeek, are you the winner? Because if you are, you got yourself one hell of a deal. Enjoy your score!

Teacher, thank you for the great info on dating these. I really enjoy hearing about the tell tale signs of items history/quality.

Yes I am the high bidder. It is interesting. I marked the shoes early with a $35 bid (a bit high, I know, but I was eager and assumed they would go much much higher). Then, after eyeing them all week w/o a second bid I was convinced they would be sniped.

So I sniped myself with an atomic bomb sized bid but got them for less than the original bid. I was elated but quickly became suspicious that they may be new stock. Some garbage shopworn Florsheims with no box I had on last month sold for $50.......that is eBay for you.....and thus this this post!

Originally Posted by Tarmac
I think the first ones are very old, or, as old as other vintage models on ebay.
In any case, vintage florsheims have a variety of heel patterns. Here is a similar one:

[$31 is a sweet deal for those

Thank you Tarmac. I was only familiar with soles similar to your first pic (sans the slant rubber) and the all rubber heeled lower line soles.

Originally Posted by neyus
I really wanted those shoes.

I will keep that in mind if they do not fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads