• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In theory, accuracy is enhanced but no scientific evidence for this. However, if you like the continuous sweeping timer seconds hand of a high beat movement, this one would blow your mind. However, since the seconds is in the subdial, I doubt that you can visually see the difference. The chronograph seconds though would sweep very smoothly and this would be where most of the joy of owning such a watch stems from. As for the lower resolution of the chronograph timer in terms of accuracy, I'd say human reaction time plays a greater role than a super fast BPH mechanical movement. If you are a fan of the El Primero, please join this site so we can have more members.

There are also several negative elements which come into play with high beat movements and the articles in the link above address each one. However, you can easily draw a comparison between these movements and the engines that power the Diablo or the Veyron.

About the specs

calibre-360.jpg

Caliber 360 with COSC-certification. Two sets of escapement mechanisms, allowing it to function at 28,800 bph in normal conditions, then accelerate to an amazing 360,000 bph in the chronograph mode. The movement has more than 230 components, a miniaturized hairspring and an escapement mechanism which has a diameter 26% smaller than a normal balance wheel. Case: 18kt rose gold, diameter 41mm, Crystal: Double AR coated sapphire crystals.. Water resistant to 50 meters. Dial: Chocolate brown guilloche with gold appliquÃ
00a9.png
markers and hands. Hand-sewn alligator strap. Currently holds three worldwide patents:
1. 1/100th of a second display on a mechanical wrist chronograph;
2. Bi-directional crown and rewind system: the single crown controls the automatic watch and the mechanical chronograph, as well as the watch's hour and date setting. When turned counter-clockwise, it rewinds the automatic watch and when turned clockwise, it rewinds the manual chronograph;
3. Transmission of the date from the bottom of the movement to the upper dial.
Limited edition of 100 pieces.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know a little about vintage Gruen; I'm sure others around here know more. What do you want to know?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It does make sense. I don't know about that specific movement, but Gruen was a company known for its quality movements. Try googling the 426 and see if anything comes up.

But I just want to put in a word of caution. It sounds like you're fairly knew to vintage mechanical watches. If so, buying on eBay can be dicey. If there are lots of good photos of the movement showing it's clean*, if the buyer has very good feedback and seems to know what he/she is doing and specifically states that the watch is in good running condition (which is still a guarantee of nothing, but it's a start), and if the price doesn't get too high for comfort, you'll probably be okay.

*One thing you can look for in these pics is the position of the escapement regulator, that little "fast" and "slow" lever: if it's all the way one way or the other, I'd stay clear as something might be very wrong.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
That's a great buy, FC.

That's sort of the point, no? Without the quirky designs and innovative use of materials, Rado would be just another short-lived mid range Swiss watchmakers (Mido, Titoni et al), I think.
You probably know it already, but this forum is a great place for Rado-philes.

Indeed, though I'm slightly surprised there is still a viable market for that kind of design--granted, it's something of an icon, but all in all, rather an eccentric design.

Rado Appreciation, I think:

667b5ff3344875b24415a765.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm considering the silver one as I don't like gold-toned items that aren't solid gold. I'm surprised that apparently Rado is still making this watch as indeed, it's a very dated design.

It's strange how their line-up seems to be either the original DiaStar which is very dated (they love to brag about how it hasn't changed since the 70's.) Or their black ceramic watches which are a bit too futuristic for most people's tastes. There doesn't seem be be much of a middle-ground with them.

I guess it's the one thing holding them back from being a big name in watches, but at the same time the only thing keeping their name alive.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
It's strange how their line-up seems to be either the original DiaStar which is very dated (they love to brag about how it hasn't changed since the 70's.) Or their black ceramic watches which are a bit too futuristic for most people's tastes. There doesn't seem be be much of a middle-ground with them. I guess it's the one thing holding them back from being a big name in watches, but at the same time the only thing keeping their name alive.
Yes, it's sort of a one-horse--pun intended--company though I believe they are owned by Swatch Group. In the past, they also had a line of more conventional watches, which nonetheless had their own quirks--rather bizarre names like Purple Horse, Golden Horse, Captain Cook, and idiosyncratic design elements. I think their movements are superior quality modified ETAs, or at least they used to be; they also used A.Schild movements. They are quite affordable in the vintage market given the high quality. On a tangent, Audemars Piguet used to have a watch-shape that resembled the Diastar; Audemars produced some funky cases.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
el guapo wongo, What's up with the yellow faced Mickey Rooney avatar. Your hero?

-Moose

Sort of, I have frames very similar & a fellow WAYWT poster found the pic.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
el guapo wongo. I have been trying to work out which way up you are wearing the watch on which hand and am still not sure but something looks upside down. You Aussies!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
el guapo wongo. I have been trying to work out which way up you are wearing the watch on which hand and am still not sure but something looks upside down. You Aussies!

mmm, watch is right way up.. I just wear on my right wrist..

Here's a shot from today in the car
L1030171.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Anyone know anything about Jaquet+Girard?

87c1_1.JPG

after a strap change:

Perfex001.jpg

Perfex007.jpg

The movement inside looks to be rose gold. Beautiful

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bigbris: that looks like a very nice watch.

Originally Posted by bigbris1

The movement inside looks to be rose gold. Beautiful

It's probably copper plated. A great many manufacturers used to use copper before switching to other metals to prevent corosion. Omega still proudly uses copper.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el Guapo WOngO!
mmm, watch is right way up.. I just wear on my right wrist..

Here's a shot from today in the car
L1030171.jpg

What kind of camera phone are you shooting those pics with? They are incredibly clear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads