• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom MTM suits

pendragon

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I was in Nordstrom today looking at the Hugo Boss suits and not liking them very much, so I started to explore the made-to-measure option.

Nordstrom offer made to measure suits, manufactured by Hickey Freeman, for about $1100 in 120s lightweight wool. (I'm talking fairly straighforward, 3-button, navy, nothing fancy.)

Given that the off the rack Hugo Boss suits are about $1000, this seemed a pretty reasonable price.

My question is: what is the quality like on these suits?

Are they any good?

Or can you suggest other options?

FWIW, I'm in Los Angeles, and I want someone local, so buying online from Joe Hong-Kong is not an option.

I also currently own a Zegna Trofeo suit that I wear with my Alden shoes, so I appreciate good schmutter, but I don't need everything in my wardrobe to be hand-sewn by pure-bred Neapolitan dwarves.

Price is not a big factor (around the $1k range) and I have no problem paying retail. The question is, who provides the best quality bang for the buck in LA?

Suggestions?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
Gentlemen,

I was in Nordstrom today looking at the Hugo Boss suits and not liking them very much, so I started to explore the made-to-measure option.

Nordstrom offer made to measure suits, manufactured by Hickey Freeman, for about $1100 in 120s lightweight wool. (I'm talking fairly straighforward, 3-button, navy, nothing fancy.)

Given that the off the rack Hugo Boss suits are about $1000, this seemed a pretty reasonable price.

My question is: what is the quality like on these suits?

Are they any good?

Or can you suggest other options?

FWIW, I'm in Los Angeles, and I want someone local, so buying online from Joe Hong-Kong is not an option.

I also currently own a Zegna Trofeo suit that I wear with my Alden shoes, so I appreciate good schmutter, but I don't need everything in my wardrobe to be hand-sewn by pure-bred Neapolitan dwarves.

Price is not a big factor (around the $1k range) and I have no problem paying retail. The question is, who provides the best quality bang for the buck in LA?

Suggestions?

Don't spend 1k on your first MTM suit. Start with a cheaper one, because the first MTM will not be perfect.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dropping 1K on a Hugo Boss from Nordstrom is too much.

I happen to overpay for one back in December for $800. I didn't see any that were higher than that.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Wait until July when they have their big sale....Anniversary Sale.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In LA have you considered Thick as Thieves? I don't know if their style will be what you're looking for, but it's one of our own forum members and several people here have reported good experiences.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Don't spend 1k on your first MTM suit. Start with a cheaper one, because the first MTM will not be perfect.
The quoted amount ($1100) might be about as low as Nordstrom goes for MTM suits. If that's the case, then what would you suggest the OP do?

Also, does MTM really improve noticeably from your first item to your second? I didn't think it was customized enough for that to happen, but I have no experience with it myself (yet).

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where else could you find MTM suits for a lower price point, just to build up the experience?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Where else could you find MTM suits for a lower price point, just to build up the experience?

Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
In LA have you considered Thick as Thieves? I don't know if their style will be what you're looking for, but it's one of our own forum members and several people here have reported good experiences.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com

If all goes well with my first suit, I may never buy suits from another source again. The slim MTM fit at that price point is pretty unbeatable.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is not to use Hugo Boss as any price point comparison. It's true value is probably $200-$300, if that. The retail is ridiculous.

As far as MTM at Nordstrom's go, I don't have any direct experience. But if you decide to go that route, make sure you ask who is going to measure (better not be a sales guy) and make sure you feel comfortable with the tailor doing it. A lot of times in-house tailors are hit and miss and that can certainlly translate to a finished product you're not happy with.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
http://www.thickasthievesla.com

If all goes well with my first suit, I may never buy suits from another source again. The slim MTM fit at that price point is pretty unbeatable.

Agreed on the price point, but seen too many tragic examples on the TaT thread; not a huge fan of their cut/style. I would rather stay away from it.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you are not in a hurry i suggest waiting until july or whenever they have the big sales at saks on wilshire. go in and buy a rtw corneliani.

i don't think mtm is ever on sale. you may also want to try some of the local korean tailors in town. i used to use mr. young's on wilshire, near vermont. you can do a search and find other posts i've made about him.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think its a waste of money considering you can buy 3 Polo suits (made by cornieliani) off the buying/selling section of this forum for about the same amount of money.
Infact you could probably find 1 Purple label RL for that price, and not for nothing i'd much rather wear a purple label suit at 75% off, then Hickey Freeman at full price.

What i've done, is get to know my tailor, who has an extensive past in bespoke suits, and aside from doing my work, she also does all the alterations work for the RL store near me.

She can alter Anything, so i buy suits or sportcoats knowing i can change just about anything about it, inclusing shoulders.

Even so, i try to get it sized very close to what i know fits me well.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
The quoted amount ($1100) might be about as low as Nordstrom goes for MTM suits. If that's the case, then what would you suggest the OP do?

Also, does MTM really improve noticeably from your first item to your second? I didn't think it was customized enough for that to happen, but I have no experience with it myself (yet).

Making the first MTM is exiting. Then wearing it is even more exiting/ disappointing. With this experience the next suit is ordered (therefor decissions has to be made). Finally the details (fabrics, pockets, vents, buttons, cut, lining, ...) are developping from suit to suit. I love it.

My last suit was very good and I really enjoyed it. But already with ordering this suit I had some new ideas for the next one.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Last year Nordstom marked down their MTM suits from 1199 to 699.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Making the first MTM is exiting. Then wearing it is even more exiting/ disappointing. With this experience the next suit is ordered (therefor decissions has to be made). Finally the details (fabrics, pockets, vents, buttons, cut, lining, ...) are developping from suit to suit. I love it.

My last suit was very good and I really enjoyed it. But already with ordering this suit I had some new ideas for the next one.

If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that the fit of your first MTM suit was fine, but you felt you could have done better (for your tastes) with some of the options. If that's right, then okay.

I would like to think that the fit of one's first MTM garment is better than the fit of any similar OTR garment would be. Maybe not MUCH better, but at least a little.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads