• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

vvoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greentorii
I noticed that all of the suits you model in don't have the "pointy shoulder" issue like I mentioned above.
the "pointy shoulder" is called roping...i guess its a matter of preference, but i like roped shoulders, gives it a more regal look in my mind...

rando

Reaction score
I opted for a more conservative cut in the regular navy. I think the suit fits great overall, but appreciate comments. Under the shoulders (especially left) in the back though, it seems to look a little wierd to me cause of the fabric folding. Any ideas or is this just normal? Thanks again GS!

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be just a tad loose across the back. That would be a very minor alteration. And on the side shot it looks like there's something weird going on on your right side above the button, but it could have just gotten caught for a minute.

I actually think it looks really good; nothing to worry about in IMO. What changes did you make from "standard"?

greentorii

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rando
I opted for a more conservative cut in the regular navy. I think the suit fits great overall, but appreciate comments. Under the shoulders (especially left) in the back though, it seems to look a little wierd to me cause of the fabric folding. Any ideas or is this just normal? Thanks again GS!

does a more traditional style make things a bit looser? it doesn't seem to fit the same way as some of the other suits (i think they are tighter)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by swordfish01
I can't wait.. how busy is get smart these days...?

turnaround time is still approx 3 weeks, maybe up to 4....but don't count days and email me after 21 days asking "where mah suit at foo' "...it's all an approximation of when it will be made

Originally Posted by vvoc
the "pointy shoulder" is called roping..

bingo

Originally Posted by greentorii
does a more traditional style make things a bit looser? it doesn't seem to fit the same way as some of the other suits (i think they are tighter)

Yes, if someone requests a "traditional style" (or even if they dont and I can tell that is what they are wanting) then the pattern will be adjusted to reflect that with a bit more allowance thru-out, but while remaining 'fitted' to the specs provided

and for those who havent read it yet, the FAQ has a lot of answers to the basic questions

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philosoph
Yep, that's the structuring of the shoulders. It does look to me (no expert) that the shoulders are a little narrow. That's why the shoulder shape seems to bump out right there and why we can see the bump of the curve of your arms below it. Shoulders measurements, in my experience, are hard to get right. In general, the sleeve should fall straight down from the shoulder to the wrist. So if you can visualize this, it means that the shoulder width should be as wide as the widest part of the arm. When the shoulders are narrower than the widest part of the arm you get the bump that you see in the picture. My genius idea for self-measuring your shoulders (which I haven't tried yet) is to stand up against a large piece of paper or a wall you don't care about and trace your upper arm and shoulder with a pencil. Then you can see where the shoulders should extend to to allow the sleeve to drape correctly. This is usually more of an issue for people with more prominent arms, especially triceps. Arms like chopsticks wouldn't cause nearly as much "bumping" if the shoulder measurement was little tight, I don't think.
Didn't really see this as a problem, though any more opinions? The shoulders fit how I understand it should fit, just nicely on the edge of the shoulders. Though I do have narrow shoulders with athletic thighs which might skew up the proportions. I got some front and back shots here, in case there's some measurement quirks that can be fixed in the future
tatsuitvp4.jpg
tatsuitbackrz6.jpg

RyanLeez0r

Reaction score
It seems like for the last few suits as well as mine there is that wrinkliness at the back of the suits around the shoulders and armpits.

What causes this and what potential measurement mistake could this be from?

on page 91 mickey mickey's suit and opoika's suit a few pages back don't seem to have that wrinkliness and falls clean.

just wondering?

rando

Reaction score
im curious as to what causes this too, may be it will be lessened after a press at the cleaners?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanLeez0r
It seems like for the last few suits as well as mine there is that wrinkliness at the back of the suits around the shoulders and armpits.

What causes this and what potential measurement mistake could this be from?

on page 91 mickey mickey's suit and opoika's suit a few pages back don't seem to have that wrinkliness and falls clean.

just wondering?

from what i've been seeing, most of the suits have the wrinkling on the back. and as discussed from the previous pages, it's most likely caused by the synergistic effects of slim arm sleeves, extra back fabric, arm sleeve pitch, and faulty personal measurements. mickey mickey's suit still has a bit of that wrinkling, it's just how the sleeve pitch is angled.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in why these wrinkles present themselves. I just ordered my suit and I hope my measurements would negate one of the potential factors contributing to this aesthetic disturbance. I sent in my blazer as well as a fitted dress shirt to GS for reference. But nevertheless, I am still concerned that this problem will copy onto my suit.

cvac

Reaction score
The jacket looks ill fitting from the front b/c there is noticeable pulling at the button. Not good. It is probably too tight in that area. The view from the back - looking at the waist basically confirms this.

I'm not sure how this is a "more conservative" TAT b/c the jacket length is still 2-3 inches too short probably. It looks like a Thom Browne jacket, basically. Not my thing at all.

The sleeves look a little shorter than I would prefer. I lengthen them by 1/2".

The shoulders and top of the back are ill fitting. I think the shoulders a too wide for you. The armholes look like they're too big.

At least the back bottom of the jacket looks to be covering most of your backside.

Overall the suit looks like the measurements weren't done right, or if the measurements were done right, the people who actually made the suit did not follow them correctly.

Too bad.

Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
Didn't really see this as a problem, though any more opinions? The shoulders fit how I understand it should fit, just nicely on the edge of the shoulders. Though I do have narrow shoulders with athletic thighs which might skew up the proportions.

I got some front and back shots here, in case there's some measurement quirks that can be fixed in the future
tatsuitvp4.jpg

tatsuitbackrz6.jpg

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no way those shoulders are too wide. If anything, they're a touch too narrow. You can see his triceps extending out wider than the shoulders.

Yeah, it's pulling a bit at the button.

As for the back... that seems to have shown up before, like someone mentioned. I'm not exactly sure what's causing that. Could it maybe be the lats pulling at the bottom of the armhole?

I think the sleeve length is great where it is.

RyanLeez0r

Reaction score
Brian you wouldn't have pictures of your suits from the back would you?

Casanova White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
To the question above - my suit is the B&W Twill Tweed

Brian any chance of a photo of you standing normally so that we can see a little better how the suit hangs?

CW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads